• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight - The Dragon Dentist

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Uh oh when the creator of 'Panty and Stocking' is in the heading you know something crazy is coming. The Dragon Dentist. This is probably the oddest title so far. I'm curious to see.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I suppose that that I will (eventually) check this one out.....
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully it will be available legally, as I would like to see this.

To those who don't know, it is based on an Animator Expo short(?). Actually it was the first one and it is available on the Animator Expo website.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Is it my imagination or did they used the poster art of Attack on Titan as a template?
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I remember this Anime Expo short; apparently the dragon's teeth can absorb people and show your 'fate' through hallucinations?

Well, I'm excited that khara are FINALLY animating non Eva stuff plus, more original animation is always welcomed.

@jojothepunisher A single character standing in the middle of a poster is a pretty standard design choice. Saving Private Ryan is another infamous poster that uses that along with a collage of faded out portraits; its one of the many film poster cliches. Just replace the Colossal Titan with a collage of Mikasa, Armin, and Levi portraits and you see how typical this design really is.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Director and writer of FLCL have come together for the third time. So this should hopefully be very 90s/GAINAX!!
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Writer on this is Maijo Otaro, author of Jorge Joestar, Oh Great's Biorg Trinity, the Ashura Girl novel Viz published, and the short story Drill Hole in My Brain I translated for Faust back in the day.
He's crazy squared, and I'm really glad he's getting more projects like this off the ground.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:44 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:

@jojothepunisher A single character standing in the middle of a poster is a pretty standard design choice. Saving Private Ryan is another infamous poster that uses that along with a collage of faded out portraits; its one of the many film poster cliches. Just replace the Colossal Titan with a collage of Mikasa, Armin, and Levi portraits and you see how typical this design really is.

The Western film examples you gave are all common in the character's back facing the viewer, but other than that most of them don't have much in common. If you compare the posters of AoT and DD, you will have that the characters are standing in literally the same exact posture, and that they are both facing massive creatures that are slightly above them. Can you find any other posters out there that fit this newly trending formula?
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:12 am Reply with quote
^I'll have to do some image hunting but the principle is similar. Lone figure standing before an ominous background vs lone figure standing while a collage of characters heads float above them. I can try to look for more examples of Western and Asian film posters that reflect the former after work but, my point was that this "desgin" is a well utilized composition in most promotional/commercial works. It's mysterious but also encourage encourages the viewer to find out more about the lone figure and why they stand so tall and determined.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:08 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the Animator Expo short, so I'm looking forward to this.

keichitsu0305 wrote:
Well, I'm excited that khara are FINALLY animating non Eva stuff plus, more original animation is always welcomed.

Me too. khara has a lot of talent and potential, and once the Rebuild movies are done, I'm hoping to see lots of exciting stuff from them.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:36 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

To those who don't know, it is based on an Animator Expo short(?). Actually it was the first one and it is available on the Animator Expo website.

Yep, and I'm looking forward to seeing if there are more shorts from that collection that will be expanded into a full anime. (Probably not ME! ME! ME!)

jojothepunisher wrote:
The Western film examples you gave are all common in the character's back facing the viewer, but other than that most of them don't have much in common. If you compare the posters of AoT and DD, you will have that the characters are standing in literally the same exact posture, and that they are both facing massive creatures that are slightly above them. Can you find any other posters out there that fit this newly trending formula?

Attack on Titan, and I presume The Dragon Dentist, are stories of ordinary humans going in way over their heads taking on threats much larger than they are. In American fiction, you see this a lot in video games (the God of War series was all about that, for instance), but they are a LOT rarer in American movies (and when they are, there's rarely more than one such giant adversary, like with King Kong, Sauron, Maleficent, or the T. Rex). Not one of those movies shown in that link categorized under #1 or #2 has a presence of giant characters from beginning to end the way Attack on Titan does. I'd guess that we got our dose of them in B-movies in the middle of the 20th century.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:49 am Reply with quote
The length wasn't mentioned here but I'm sure someone would like to know: two 45-minute specials.

I'm very much intrigued by the concept of people who worked on Evangelion coming together to work on what I'm 90% sure is a goofy children's show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:39 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

It will be shown on NHK World as well, so it should be very easy to find legally. That's shown on satellite, on several broadcast stations in the US and elsewhere, and streaming legally (including on Roku.) Viewers outside Japan can catch its international version to be broadcasted(sic) in March 2017 on NHK World TV.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:11 am Reply with quote
To keep in line with the movie's title, I so could see dragon-shaped dental floss being sold to promote the movie.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:00 am Reply with quote
Excited for this one. I'd say it's nice to see Khara working on something besides Evangelion, but then I remember that they haven't even really worked on that since 2012. Geez. It's basically gonna be a full length movie adaption of the short, which is awesome. I always thought it would work well as a series, and this is kinda sorta the same idea. I hope they continue to use the Japan Animator Expo shorts as an inspiration for more fleshed out adaptions like this, there were a lot of gems in there that would lend themselves well to being expanded upon. Speaking of which, does anybody else remember that western one called Carnage? I always thought that one was so freaking cool, mainly because of its gritty and rough visual style. I'd love to see something new with that (I'm probably the only one though).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2