• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast (Video) - Baity Feelsy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Gintama's appeal has nothing to do with Fujoshi, people like it cause it's just good. It's one of the few shows that can walk the line between funny and serious without disappointing either base. Granted it can be stupid sometimes, but the good far outweighs the bad.

Last edited by v1cious on Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
As always, thank you for the show!

Concerning the comparative merits of Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid and Interviews with Monster Girls, my preference is currently for the latter. It seemingly demonstrates a greater effort to convey the characters' emotions and personal plights, without the flippancy that keeps its rivalling title from garnering much sympathy.
I am only two episodes into each though, so I respect that my expectations could falter as both shows approach, or hopefully avoid, a transition into standard harem pieces.

As for revisiting anime from the 1980s, I cannot say that Bubblegum Crisis is the most deserving of choices if one wishes to keep its distinctive soundtrack intact. Surely, unlike Macross or Votoms, its animation is still impressive by today's standards! One only needs to compare it to Bubblegum Crash to appreciate this.

----

Does Southern California even have a winter, out of interest? Speaking for myself, I am at least two months away from being able to wear short sleeves indoors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Great to hear there will be more Manga content I really miss Right Turn Only and a preview guide for Manga sounds great. The Saga of Tanya The Evil feel to have the same ethos as Death Note, but where as I couldn't stand Death note. I really like The Saga of Tanya The Evil even if it's only for the direction, character design, and setting.

Scum's Wish seemed like something I wouldn't want to watch just the concept sounds kind of nauseating, so I can just pass on it. As far as bad series I will defend The Studio Deen adaptation of Fate/Stay Night as overall the story was coherent.

The other being To Heart as it worked as a sweet High School Romance. Also The Irregular At Magic High School is one that is another series near and dear to my heart. Also Aquarion and Aquarion EVOL mostly because I like Shoji Kawamori.

Great to hear Shuffle defended by Lynzee as I pretty much got back into Anime the same way by watching Shuffle as well as My Bride is A Mermaid, Oh My Goddess, and various Harem and Visual Novel adaptation anime.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to that manga segment!
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
While I think Dragon Maid is definitely one of KyoAni's better works, I don't know I'd say that it is the best, for me at least (Euphonium). But I think their next project, Violet Evergarden, will be their best, from what I've seen of it. At the very least, it will likely be their best looking if it is anything like the commercial, which is saying something given their excellence in that realm.

I've said this before, but Scum's Wish is just very engrossing for me. I just can't take my eyes off the relationships in this show, especially the main one. This just makes me feel in ways that no other show has. If I had to describe it in a word, it would be raw, though intimate is also apt like Jacob said. Now I'm looking forward to the part in the manga that Lynzee referenced, if or when it is adapted. Not for everyone but one of my favorite this season, which I didn't quite expect before I saw it.

And I would agree with v1cious that Gintama's appeal is not (just) due to fujoshi (or other female viewers), though I don't deny that it does have a substantial female audience. I concur that its capable handling of both comedy (YMMV of course) and seriousness, often in the same episode, is the core of its appeal. And from the looks of the ratings here, it will definitely be a serious contender for the best of the season, like its last season was. This, Rakugo, and Scum's Wish as mentioned earlier round out my top shows this season.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I got my money's worth with the question on anime you like that most people don't… holy crap, Lynzee, Shuffle!, OMFG. That's in my genre wheelhouse and even I can't defend it. Good on you for taking one for the team, Lynzee… man…

Jake going for Underwaterrayromano was interesting, though I sort of imagined he'd go for his beloved Yu Yu Hakusho which while not actively hated, is kind of everybody's fifth- or sixth-favorite Shonen Jump title, at best.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Reason why Shuffle is good:
1. Best girl wins
1a. Protagonist actually seeks out a romance with said best girl and turns down the others.
2. My first encounter with yandere (kinda, minus tennis girl from Battle Athletes) and did not see it coming.
3. Everyone gets a decent plot arc!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I can't really put my finger on why, but Scum's Wish is definitely the one to watch for me this season. I mean, I already know Rakugo Shinjuu will be good, but this show came out of left field for me. I think Jacob nails it with how self-aware the characters are (even the side characters it seems so far), which is pretty refreshing. Also, despite the manga panel-still frames at times, I really like how its directed. The way some of the more intimate scenes are animated makes the show feel a lot less gratuitous than it could have easily been. Those scenes just feel sad.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:36 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Also, despite the manga panel-still frames at times, I really like how its directed.

I wouldn't say it's well directed in spite of that, but rather that touches like that add to the overall quality of the direction.
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:25 am Reply with quote
Yeah...Gintama's popularity has nothing to do with fujoshi. It's not that kind of show.
Kikimani

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:53 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Gintama's appeal has nothing to do with Fujoshi, people like it cause it's just good.

It can be two things. It's quite possible for an anime to be "good" and also appeal to fujoshi. I'm sure the show has all kinds of fans. I'm not into it myself -- an anime has to be stupendous to justify a gazillion episodes and I can't remember if I even finished the first one. But as a fujoshi I can tell you that the Gintama doujinshis are legion. Sorry about that Razz .
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
A bit surprised that Jacob would put Kobayashi as the personal top KyoAni show. I would have thought that Hyouka would have resonated more

Utaware is a fantastic anime and easily the best video game adaptation that there has been. I'm really disappointed that White Fox and the staff involved in the sequel anime did not have anywhere near the amount of respect for the game scenario as OLM did for the original anime.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
A bit surprised that Jacob would put Kobayashi as the personal top KyoAni show. I would have thought that Hyouka would have resonated more

Utaware is a fantastic anime and easily the best video game adaptation that there has been. I'm really disappointed that White Fox and the staff involved in the sequel anime did not have anywhere near the amount of respect for the game scenario as OLM did for the original anime.

Ha ha, funny enough, I couldn't make it past two episodes of Hyouka. Maybe it gets better later, but those first two episodes were UGHSville for me.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Haha, yeah, the beginning episodes were quite a slog. If you went in to Hyouka expecting a mystery anime (which is what the various ANN articles painted the series as) then I can definitely understand why the slow start and seemingly-pointless mysteries would deter any further viewing. It's a pretty solid series overall though, and it being based on an actual novel series and not a light novel series meant it had much more meat to chew on than the typical high school coming-of-age anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1