• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mikagura School Suite BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you like goofy club shows, are intrigued by the action scenes, or just want a show where the main character is gay without that attribute defining them, definitely give it a try.

Doesn't that attribute define her though? To me, it does, just like Issei's straight perverseness defines him in DxD. I found that to actually be part of the appeal. She is kind of a gender swapped Issei in a more shoujo setting as opposed to his shounen setting, and for both of them, their interest in the girls is a defining part of their character. If Eruna weren't gay, it would just be another reverse harem.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I find this show to be a fascinating hodgepodge. Everything about this show screams "The 'Most Anime TV Show Made by Anime Fans' The Anime" (probably because they're based on a series of Vocaloid songs), but then there's Eruna and her girl-crazy antics and infectious personality. She's definitely a rare treat for a main character and would have been even more forgotten if it were some dude MC.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I was interested in the story because of Eruna's character and also Shigure's character, but somewhere around the middle of the series I just lost interest and couldn't focus while watching. I had to force myself to keep watching. Anyway, the only thing I cared for was Eruna finally accepting spoiler[her feelings for Shigure]. Why? Because spoiler[his ancestors have been trying to smash Eruna's ancestors for the longest. Let his family prosper.]

Quote:
On the other hand, when Mikagura pulls it together for a fight scene, the show's animation can really shine. There are about four or five fights scattered throughout the series that brim with dynamic animation, bringing the show's powers to life in delightful displays of movement and enthusiasm. Consistent character models are discarded entirely during these fights, in favor of fluid shapes that make great use of the show's simplified, color-coded character designs. The show's animation highlights are a real treat.

Better than Naruto's Looney Tune fight scenes.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:44 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Anyway, the only thing I cared for was Eruna finally accepting (spoiler)

It's been a while since I watched the show, but I seriously don't remember this happening. It definitely doesn't happen this way in the novels.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:28 pm Reply with quote
^ That was me hoping. Not what happened in the anime. Last sentence in the spoiler implied that. lol
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that the review put the battle animation scenes in a positive light because I found myself having to defend criticism from people who thought it was a 'low budget' or 'poorly animated' as it was airing. The show's animation as a whole is certainly is low budget, especially when compared to other Dogakobo recent anime, however in the battle scenes pretty much all the budget got used. Sure, the images themselves are not clean, but (except for the very last fight) the director eschewed the standard 'have lots of close-ups and jump cuts to limit the amount of animation necessary' that has been the commonality of any generic battle scene in anime since I've started watching. So since the show goes completely against the grain I can understand that it won't suite everyone's palate. However this not meeting aesthetic norms does not equate to poor animation. On the contrary, by actually showing a zoomed out perspective I honestly think Mikagura has some of the better animation for close-quarters combat that I've seen. There is so much more speed, intensity, and animation at play that made the fights much more enjoyable for me. Unfortunately beyond Eruna as the main character, the fight sequences, and the amazing cover of the Vocaloid song "Houkago Stride" this anime really didn't leave much else with me.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:17 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
^ That was me hoping. Not what happened in the anime. Last sentence in the spoiler implied that. lol

Ah, my bad.

At any rate, this was one of my favorite shows of the Spring 2015 season, which I'm sure you all remember as jam-packed with cool shows. I remember there being a big deal about how the main character was a lesbian, but what attracted me most to the franchise was its connection to the vocaloid concept album of the same name.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1