• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Responds to Drop in Video Quality, Plans to Re-Encode Catalog

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daizo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Maybe because CR's statement doesn't actually address a lot of the issues it brings up?

https://medium.com/@Daiz/crunchyrolls-reduced-video-quality-is-deliberate-cost-cutting-at-the-expense-of-paying-customers-c86c6899033b

Administrator's note: link restored.

Last edited by Daizo on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Typical PR damage control. Why did they not inform their subscribers beforehand? It took a backlash of losing subs for them to make a statement which really doesn't address anything.
MCAL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Daizo wrote:

Maybe because CR's statement doesn't actually address a lot of the issues it brings up?
Seems like a major thing for a news article to leave out too.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Can't help but wonder if they would have never said anything in the absence of criticism from Daiz and Reddit.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha and yet CR will persist in their ref=6 + subme=8 2-pass encodes. Great marketing, I wish I could get paid encoding anime weekly.
Renasviel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Pretty curious how ANN only brought up this issue after Crunchyroll made a statement regarding it. Almost like they were more concerned about Crunchyroll's reputation over actually fulfilling the purpose of the site, which is to give anime and anime-industry-related news. I wonder, if Crunchyroll had ignored it, would ANN have ever addressed it at all?

What a joke this site (and Crunchyroll) have become.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:08 pm Reply with quote
That reads like something Reggie would say.

MCAL wrote:
Seems like a major thing for a news article to leave out too.

Doesn't ANN have a few deals with CR? Can't put a sponsor in a bad spot!
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Sounds more like "Oops! We got caught!" than it does anything else; especially since the new infrastructure seems to be lower quality in general.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
Typical PR damage control. Why did they not inform their subscribers beforehand? It took a backlash of losing subs for them to make a statement which really doesn't address anything.

Hey Informaton Technology Managment major here, I learn about stuff like what CR did everyday. It's not really out of the ordinary for issues like this to happen during the introduction phase of a new system. That doesn't make it okay they should have done more testing but when you have as many files to work with as they do it's inevitable that issues arise.

In terms of not informing you beforehand it's possible they just wanted to keep this in house and they have no obligation or reason to tell you they are changing systems. When your doing a sort of slow drip phase implementation like this you do it so customers don't experience site downtime.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I've never been one to be able to notice changes in video quality unless they are pretty dramatic. For example, I did not notice any difference in CR's video quality. What is of more importance to me is that I've noticed it is getting harder on the weekend to watch videos without a hassle. Namely, sometimes I can't even get a viewing pane for a video ... it's just a pure white field where the viewing pane should be.
chaccide

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:27 pm Reply with quote
^ This. None of the people bitching about transparency have a clue about how real world tech (and other kinds of) companies work when it comes to rolling out upgrades behind the scenes. Businesses aren't supposed to be transparent about what's going on in the background; they're supposed to make transitions as seamless as possible, and only need to speak up when they affect customers. There was no need for us to hear their plans until our service screwed up, which is now. The rest is NONE OF OUR BUSINESS, as much as nosy people think it should be.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Daizo wrote:

Also curious that you fail to mention in your 'exposé' that you're a fansubber with an ax to grind!
GuruBuckaroo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I've worked in IT for 30 years. Nobody ever talks about IT when things are working, or improvements roll out successfully. Only when they break. And IT departments are always underfunded, because they aren't (generally) income-generating departments. This is just more of the same.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Do not forget to have better subtitles for new anime, CR.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Renasviel wrote:
Pretty curious how ANN only brought up this issue after Crunchyroll made a statement regarding it. Almost like they were more concerned about Crunchyroll's reputation over actually fulfilling the purpose of the site, which is to give anime and anime-industry-related news. I wonder, if Crunchyroll had ignored it, would ANN have ever addressed it at all?

What a joke this site (and Crunchyroll) have become.

Most of ANN's news staff is in Japan. That said, ANN began working on this news and contacted Crunchyroll the same day a reader wrote in a tip. ANN would have posted about this issue if Crunchyroll had not responded, just as ANN has done on similar situations with this and other companies. (ANN received Crunchyroll's response the same time it posted the statement on its website.)

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-02-22/report-2.5-million-funimation-accounts-compromised-in-data-breach/.112538
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-11-28/media-blasters-delays-cancels-releases
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-03-22/crunchyroll-ios-app-lists-spring-2011-anime
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-11-17/amazon-lists-the-sacred-blacksmith-from-tokyopop
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-10-01/crunchyroll-gets-sora-no-otoshimono-book-of-bantorra
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-07-09/crunchyroll-streams-altered-charger-girl-ju-den-chan
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-07-03/adv-films-suspends-4-dvd-titles-indefinitely
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2005-02-07/imported-manga-at-borders-and-waldenbooks
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8