• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Borders Selling Exclusive Miyazaki Collection

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:13 pm Reply with quote
That's cool. I'm a Borders member and they listed something about that in the email they send. That's a really great package. I'd definitely get that. Too bad I already have half of those. Sad
maichips

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:24 pm Reply with quote
O.O How did I not know of this until today?! Wow! It's such a great deal... I just don't know if my mom would agree to get it...
skygtr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Actually according to someone who found the boxset at Borders from AOD, it has:
Quote:
* Princess Mononoke
* Spirited Away
* Howl's Moving Castle
* Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind
* My Neighbor Totoro
* Kiki's Delivery Service
* Castle in the Sky

No Porco Rosso.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:39 pm Reply with quote
That actually seems pretty expensive to me. I'm a Borders member (even though we don't have a Borders in my town, lol) but with the 30% off (if I'm doing my math right) is about $142. each DVD separately is $24 (Though I'm pretty sure I got my My Neighbor Totoro dvd for cheaper at Hastings), so thats $168, so really, its like paying for 6 of them and getting one free. And for those people that aren't Border's members, its more expensive than buying them all individually.
Does this set come with special features or a super nice box or something? Looking at it online it doesn't look like much of anything special, but then, Border's website doesn't really say anything about it other than the price and a tiny picture of the cover.
So I can really only see the appeal if you're a collector or something, or if you have absolutely none of the DVDs in the set.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Actually...Borders has a 30% coupon almost every week. This weeks Borders coupon goes until the 13th

If you're a Borders member (and purchase often through the year) as them if you have any Borders rewards money saved up- you can subtract that amount from the purchase.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:36 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Actually...Borders has a 30% coupon almost every week. This weeks Borders coupon goes until the 13th

Every week's a bit of an exaggeration. I use the 30% coupons every time they come out, and I know it's not quite that often, although it is pretty frequent. Most of the time it's closer to once a month or less frequently. They're usually 20% coupons of an item. With this though, it's obviously a special coupon just for this.

As for the points, I'm mad about how they changed it. It used to be pretty nice. Now you have to spend something like 200 bucks before you get to have $5 off.

Borders, how you vex me!
Necrontry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:01 pm Reply with quote
The price isn't really that amazing. Even if you are a borders' member. I think over the years they have been out I've paid in total about 204 CND, for 11 of the 13 released ghibli movies. Except for kiki's, which I had no interest in, and Porco Rosso which I got as a gift. This was when the CND was less as well so the USD equivalent paid would be something closer to 170.

In short not a good deal.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Necrontry wrote:
The price isn't really that amazing. Even if you are a borders' member. I think over the years they have been out I've paid in total about 204 CND, for 11 of the 13 released ghibli movies. Except for kiki's, which I had no interest in, and Porco Rosso which I got as a gift. This was when the CND was less as well so the USD equivalent paid would be something closer to 170.

In short not a good deal.

I was thinking it was rather expensive, but 30% off of $200 sets the full price at $140... So, about $20 a movie.

...What? At full price the set is around $29 a movie?

Rip off =/

$20 a piece is a pretty average price, even. Bleah.
Saphiro01

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I will agree with the rest saying Borders is a rip off. Buy these titles Online for $20 a piece and Get Porco Rosso and Castle of Cagliostro while your at it.

Rightstuf, Robert's Anime Corner Store, heck even Best Buy can do better than that. Fry's is good too for inexpensive Miyazaki films.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Amethyst Alchemist wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:

Every week's a bit of an exaggeration. I use the 30% coupons every time they come out, and I know it's not quite that often, although it is pretty frequent. Most of the time it's closer to once a month or less frequently. They're usually 20% coupons of an item. With this though, it's obviously a special coupon just for this.

As for the points, I'm mad about how they changed it. It used to be pretty nice. Now you have to spend something like 200 bucks before you get to have $5 off.

Borders, how you vex me!

Check the retial forum more often. I post borders & BN coupons every week-most of the older deals are removed; Borders really does have 30% coupons almost every week. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
adam_omega

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:20 pm Reply with quote
My question is...
Is Princess Mononoke the original Miramax release just repackaged or have they finally put out a new U.S. edition of it?
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Ah no Porco? Too bad, it's one of my personal favorites.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:04 pm Reply with quote
That doesn't sound like a great deal. You could get all 14 of the Ghibli Collection discs on Optimum Releasing for the cost of that offer price here in the UK (and DVDs here usually cost more than in the US, especially with regard to niche stuff like anime).

All of the major retailers here (Amazon, HMV, Play etc.) have the Ghibli movies at £5 or £6 each which is about $10-12. Maybe Disney isn't as keen on promoting this stuff as Optimum? Or is Ghibli stuff just more popular over here where it appeals at least as much to world cinema fans as to anime fans?

Mind you, it goes without saying that the prices didn't drop that low until after I'd already bought most of them...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Hey folks, not every box set is designed to be a super mega bargain set. This is a "gift set", it isn't designed to sell to cheapskate otaku.

Walk into any store and take a look at their DVD "collections" section. It's usually box sets of films in new or prestige packaging, and the prices aren't low.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Wow.. you can easily find every one of those for 20. That's like 30 dollars more. Oh well. If you think it's a good deal, then have at it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2