• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Girlfriend is a Faithful Virgin Bitch Manga Gets TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aki_Leaves

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, the title certainly has my attention. Laughing
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Japan's definition of 'bitch' is definitely MUCH different than its usage in West. That word is being tossing around a bit too casual. Then again, funny that they have to specify the faithful and virgin part.
Nekelen Tinsley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:17 pm Reply with quote
That title definitely caught my interest but...
Quote:
With nothing left to lose, ordinary high school student Haruka Shinozaki confesses to beautiful, diligent class representative Akiho Kōsaka and to his surprise she accepts. Kōsaka takes dating as seriously as she does everything else, but does not quite get it. She pragmatically suggests activities that are too sexual.

This premise makes me think this will just be another 12 episode circle jerk where nothing noteworthy happens.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Japan's definition of 'bitch' is definitely MUCH different than its usage in West. That word is being tossing around a bit too casual. Then again, funny that they have to specify the faithful and virgin part.

In Japan, it's far closer to "slut" than bitch. I read it was related to female dogs in heat...which would make sense given the origin of the word "bitch".
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
So as someone who's read the Manga this is basically just a series of innuedoes but they're really funny.
Not_Nitsugalego

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Nekelen Tinsley wrote:
This premise makes me think this will just be another 12 episode circle jerk where nothing noteworthy happens.

So... anime?
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I started reading this like last week. It's amusing, but I didn't get super far so I don't know how long the joke lasts for.

I heard in one of the latest chapters the couple did something lewd.... spoiler[They held hands] Shocked

Also, if it gets picked up by the west, I wonder how they'll translate the title..
Nekelen Tinsley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Not_Nitsugalego wrote:
Nekelen Tinsley wrote:

So... anime?

Touché
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Japan's definition of 'bitch' is definitely MUCH different than its usage in West.

In Japan, it's far closer to "slut" than bitch. I read it was related to female dogs in heat...which would make sense given the origin of the word "bitch".

That would make more sense with the description given. I thought they meant "bitch" as in rude, which is still possible since she takes dating seriously.
According to Wikipedia, the English use of "bitch" used to mean "a lewd woman". So, "son of a bitch" was similar to "son of a whore". However, "bitch" used to be a worse insult than "whore".
Xavon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Nekelen Tinsley wrote:
That title definitely caught my interest but...
Quote:
With nothing left to lose, ordinary high school student Haruka Shinozaki confesses to beautiful, diligent class representative Akiho Kōsaka and to his surprise she accepts. Kōsaka takes dating as seriously as she does everything else, but does not quite get it. She pragmatically suggests activities that are too sexual.

It's a sitcom based on double entandres. What else are you expecting?
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Ugh... I know this is already been a trend for quite some time, but heck, I'm still surprised as hell that this kind of theme for an anime series gets frequently green-lit lately. Plus the title, just wow.
ETX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Shimoneta all over again it seems.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the time which I wish they took liberties with the title since Japan's definition of bitch is synonymous with slut/whore in the west. We have two completely different meanings of the word.
digidragon
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Feedback noted on the translation -- I changed our literal translation in the body text. The English title we have in the headline will remain for now, primarily because that is the English text used in the manga's official covers and promotional material, questionable though it may be as a direct translation. The alternative words are also not ones I'd throw around casually.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:55 pm Reply with quote
So is this series shaming a girl for DARING to suggest sexual activities to her boyfriend? SIGH. I dunno, maybe within the series it'll be handled carefully so that we're not demonizing someone for doing something not that shocking, but with a title like that I'm not exactly feeling optimistic. Sure, I understand that many Japanese people have a very restrained approach to physical intimacy and that's fine, but I will frown upon a person who tries to initiate a more intimate relationship* being treated as automatically in the wrong.

*within reason, of course, if we're talking stuff that's sexual assault then obviously that's no good
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3