• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Grimgar: Ashes and Illusions BD+DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zztop

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Both featured characters who struggle mightily upon being transported to a fantasy world, but whereas KONOSUBA played things for laughs, Grimgar approaches the subject with absolute seriousness.

I recall Grimgar's author mentioned in the source novel afterwords that Grimgar's fantasy setting was inspired by the console + online RPG games he loved so much since his youth (He claims his love of games also inspired him to become an LN author).

On a side note, he admits he's a reclusive person who's bad at socializing with others, and at one point was addicted to his games. I quote:
"...times for sleeping and eating, I used solely to think about games. I would dive into the blood-rushing, heart-pounding world of online RPGs every night and return to the mundane humdrum of the real world in the morning. I lived in the world of games and games kept me alive".
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:13 am Reply with quote
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash is my favorite anime series from 2016. It is a solid B+ show that has a few flaws like a slow pace and some questions are never answered. Its biggest pluses are the art, animation and soundtrack.

The biggest reasons why I like this show is because I really like the characters (especially Yume), and the atmosphere is very nostalgic. I bought Funimation's LE, and it is one of the nicest ones they have released. I highly recommend watching this show. And I hope a season two is made.
Morry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
If the show's pacing wasn't an episode too slow, I'd probably recommend this. It's otherwise very pretty and both sub and dub gave excellent performances.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I personally found this series to be boring and chore to watch.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I bought this release and never realized until now that that's what they titled it on the box. Laughing

Any, I liked the show a lot. It was sort of a victim of being an incomplete adaptation and I slightly resent that, but for the most part I was satisfied with it and am more than happy to rewatch it. It's something that I'd consider digging into the LN for eventually as well.
Oh, yeah, and Yume is god level. I also sort of resent the fandom for deciding that Mary was suddenly best girl half way through and forgetting how good Yume is as a character though. I guess that says something about how many consume media these days. Anyway, Mary is good, but Yume is a better character, and one of the best characters of the year, for me.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Beyond the animation, the visuals create a stark contrast between finely-detailed character designs and the much less defined watercolor paintings of the background. That rougher style is not one that I find appealing at all
Really? I thought it looked really nice, and gave the environments a fantasy look to them.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I agree this series had some pacing problems, although I can sorta understand why.

I'm really keeping up with the novels though. Seeing the developments in the novel (including some ship baits between Yume and Haru?) does make you angry why the anime was only 1 cour. I heard it might be difficult to follow up with a second season because the outsourced art studio that made Grimgar's beautiful backgrounds (not the animation studio itself) sorta shut down. I'd really like to see more of it though.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I love this anime, I want more shows of to try out low fantasy. I used to think that it's slow pace was a heavy detriment and make it really hard to marathon in one sitting (I watched it on a weekly basis my first time). But I marathoned it with a friend and Grimgar's slow pace actually allowed me to enjoy the experience more a second time. Grimgar's laid back nature during it's downtime segments gives the viewer more time to relate to the characters as well as reflect on previous events in my opinion.

My favorite character out of the party has to be Yume. I like her sunny attitude and how she functions as a source of morale for Shihoru, Haruhrio and the rest of the group to a certain extent. One of my favorite scenes is her conversation with Haruhiro after spoiler[ Manato's death]. Grimgar portrays character emotion on a really immersive. It has possibly my favorite approach to dealing with death and I really hope it gets a second season (chances are super slim).

Since the review mentioned KonoSuba, anyone know when or if the blurays for Konosuba will be released in the states?
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Spike Terra wrote:
Since the review mentioned KonoSuba, anyone know when or if the blurays for Konosuba will be released in the states?

I think CR has the license for it, and they haven't announced anything. Even if they did, they're s-l-o-w... there's stuff they announced that they announced is getting a home video release over a year ago that's had zero news since it was announced.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:46 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko, that is something CR should have had an update on by now but Funi has "Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches" scheduled for a boxset release here in July.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The rest are much less developed, with Shihoru mostly defined by being timid and self-conscious about her weight (a problem that doesn't come across in her character design), Moguzo being the soft-spoken and soft-mannered giant, Manato being the team leader and cheerleader, and Yume being a bit flighty but also protective of Shihoru. Whether intentional or not, the depth of our understanding of each character correlates almost exactly with how well viewpoint character Haruhiro understands them.

I never made it past the first episode so I initially dismissed the idea of talking about the show but I then remembered what I disliked about it.

Grimgar is kind of sexist. You can pick up clues how it happened from separate posts here... the original LN author had antisocial tendencies and was addicted to RPGs... but there must have been some editor at some point to back it up: "Is there any way you can make the two girls more clichéd and shallow?" is what the editor shouldn't have said.

Based on the premise: People picked typical character types for a CRPG but entered a real fantasy world based on those choices at level 1. Ok, fine so far. Their group had two girls in it and their base party set up was 2 fighters, 1 healer, 1 thief, 1 archer and 1 mage with the healer as the first to lead, the thief is the audience POV I take it?. It's where the series starts to get into trouble.

Typical fantasy female roles: Archers, wizards, healers, thieves. Ingame usage: Background characters, really weak at low levels, not only support but support you have to protect. Atypical: Out and out fighters, melee magic, leaders... but usually dressed not to match the part as most fantasy is written by guys. I'm not saying fantasy series have to follow either of these general categories as the best ones tend to mix them. There's no need to go full Joss Whedon and have all the women strong and the men support but, mix it up, that's all I say...

Where and how Grimgar goes beyond what is typical for the genre: The author not only raised two roles that were usually reserved for female characters to a more frontline status, he then lowered the two remaining support roles by having the archer girl explicitly fail while the rest implicitly failed by means of lack of experience and by having the female wizard crying, running to the arms of the most manly man in the group.

The healer. And that's where I turned it off because that was on purpose; I like my characters fleshed out, not dancing to the whims of some presumed "writer" who could probably name the people he was thinking of when he wrote the situation.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
FlowerAiko, that is something CR should have had an update on by now but Funi has "Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches" scheduled for a boxset release here in July.

No such listing ever got announced
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

No such listing ever got announced

Funimation did announce a July release date back in April, but it has apparently been delayed.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-04-02/funimation-to-release-yamada-kun-and-the-seven-witches-on-home-video-in-july/.114246

https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/anime-manga-discussions/us-blu-ray-dvd-and-simulcast-industry-news/59605-crunchyroll-funimation-licenses-yamada-kun-the-seven-witches

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the anime I wouldn't own it though as it felt like others have said a solid B+ and I won't usually collect something unless it's something I want to own forever and with the novels coming out in print I'd just stick with those. Really the only complaint about the Anime was how Ranta was written and even than I can kind of understand it.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

Yeah, I agree. They've been planning the Yamada-kun release for even longer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2