• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Seven E3 Takeaways

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:23 am Reply with quote
All I ever seem to hear about MvC Infinite is nothing but negativity toward it. At least I'll finally be able to do my dream team up with X and Hulk.

I like that Mario is taking some new steps into uniqueness with his two upcoming games. People complain Nintendo never does anything new with him and just repeat the same tired out formulas with platforming over and over. Guess it just goes to show that even Nintendo doesn't completely make the plumber tread the same old ground constantly. That crossover with Rabbids is a very real thing and it looks like it's going to be fun. Now if only Mario would have that hypothetical crossover with Dragon Quest I've been dreaming of (and I don't mean that wasted effort called Fortune Street).
Souther

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:55 am Reply with quote
MvC Infinite presentation is lacking, and so's the music. But from watching Combofiend's breakdown of the game, plus other people's time with the demo and the early techniques that've come out of it, it's going to play well and allow for a lot of creativity, especially the switch system. Of course, being Marvel, there's going to be plenty of stupid shit in it lol. But competitive-wise, I'm looking forward to it.

DB Fighter Z is looking utterly insane, everything about it screams wicked. Little things like the round resetting after a character's KO'd looks incredible (resetting the round also avoids your incoming character having to block a mix-up like Marvel). The winposes are amazing. Arc System's trademark mechanics fit really well with DBZ.

Still want to know more about 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim. Visuals are incredible, as expected, but there hasn't been any gameplay revealed yet (AFAIK.)
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
E3 was a bust this year overall. Too many delays and a lot of disappointments (especially with Sony and it's VR push, VR is fad in gaming and hopefully Moss isn't VR exclusive, just let me play it on my Pro with a controller). TGS will blow this poor excuse of an E3 out of the water.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Was really disappointed in Sony's conference. As mentioned with the Spider-Man game,they focused on showing a level filled with QTE events and scripted nonsense. Days Gone looks generic as hell,but might be fun. Shadow of the Colossi remake was just "why?" for me,considering it has a version already that looks and plays just fine. Really lacking in new IP's at that conference.

I know everyone went crazy over the Beyond and Good Evil 2 trailer,but I find it hard to get excited since it's just a cute CG trailer,that doesn't tell me anything about how the game is going to be played. Nintendo had some fun stuff,it's slowly getting a library of games together. Despite hating the Rabbids,that new Mario game with them looks like a fun XCOM-type game. The news of two Metroid games were also great to hear about.

Probably my favorite game was the reveal of the new Wolfenstein,which looks like a fantastic sequel to the first. The Evil Within 2 could also be a solid sequel if it fixes the issues of the first game,which really held it back from being a solid game.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
The game that I'm now looking forward to the most after all this has been said and done is Super Mario Odyssey. While I liked the linear progression in the Mario Galaxy and Super Mario 3D games, I really missed the nonlinear style, to where I played through Super Mario Sunshine again a couple of years ago. (Used a guide for the Blue Coins though. That's a mechanic I'm glad has never returned.) And I know there's still huge amounts of the game they haven't shown.

After that is Splatoon 2 and its Salmon Run mode. It initially looked like a throwaway mode, something to flesh out the game but not something you're meant to play much of, but I can see a lot of thought and creativity went into the Salmonids, as well as providing an extra dimension of how the world of Splatoon works (considering they've just introduced a third race of ink-based battlers after the Inklings and Octarians).

Also, the Xbox One X's acronym is "XBOX." That's going to be confusing.

Souther wrote:
MvC Infinite presentation is lacking, and so's the music. But from watching Combofiend's breakdown of the game, plus other people's time with the demo and the early techniques that've come out of it, it's going to play well and allow for a lot of creativity, especially the switch system. Of course, being Marvel, there's going to be plenty of stupid shit in it lol. But competitive-wise, I'm looking forward to it.

DB Fighter Z is looking utterly insane, everything about it screams wicked. Little things like the round resetting after a character's KO'd looks incredible (resetting the round also avoids your incoming character having to block a mix-up like Marvel). The winposes are amazing. Arc System's trademark mechanics fit really well with DBZ.

I fear that Capcom is losing itself with the ultra-hardcore market. They're fine-tuning these games to satisfy them at the expense of everyone else. I'm sure Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite has an incredibly deep system with a lot of interesting mechanics for people who are good enough to use them, but I honestly don't feel a lot of personality to the characters nor a lot of variety in the characters they've chosen. The whole game feels much too dark and serious. If Capcom wants to appeal to someone like me, they're going to have to do better than that, artistically speaking.

As for the DBZ fighting game, while it looks neat, and it plays neat, and it definitely has the personality and enthusiasm Infinite did not have, I'm pretty bugged by the choppiness. I feel like if you're going to do 3-D graphics, then animate them like 3-D graphics rather than try to imitate something else. The whole game radiates some odd cousin of Uncanny Valley to me in which the characters move in a jerky way whereas everything else is smooth and more natural-looking.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I find it so amusing when the first Mario Odyssey trailer premiere with Mario in the seemingly "real world" location, it's been jokingly nicknamed "Grand Theft Mario." And now the new trailer showcases his ability to actually hijack cars (and items, enemies, and humans).
Nate148

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
fyi god wars is listed as coming out on the 20th on NISA's webshop
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:05 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I find it so amusing when the first Mario Odyssey trailer premiere with Mario in the seemingly "real world" location, it's been jokingly nicknamed "Grand Theft Mario." And now the new trailer showcases his ability to actually hijack cars (and items, enemies, and humans).

Mario can also grab scooters parked on the sides of the road in New Donk City and ride them around, crashing into things as he feels like.
Souther

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I fear that Capcom is losing itself with the ultra-hardcore market. They're fine-tuning these games to satisfy them at the expense of everyone else. I'm sure Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite has an incredibly deep system with a lot of interesting mechanics for people who are good enough to use them, but I honestly don't feel a lot of personality to the characters nor a lot of variety in the characters they've chosen. The whole game feels much too dark and serious. If Capcom wants to appeal to someone like me, they're going to have to do better than that, artistically speaking.

Unless you're talking about colour palette, I don't think MvCi is particularly dark or serious, but it does look fairly ugly to me. Ms Marvel and Ryu are the only characters I think look decent. Capcom's older FG titles have been competitive and had similar/higher levels of depth to their mechanics while still being able to pull casual/non-competitive players, you can please both crowds. I agree that the roster so far isn't very interesting.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
And now the new trailer showcases his ability to actually hijack cars (and items, enemies, and humans).

Well, social media has been abuzz with discussions as to whether or not Mario's antics is a form of quasi-demonic possession. Some have contemplated how harrowing it must be to be a child in New Donk City, ever fearful that the Dreaded Red Hat could be hurled your way without warning...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Well, social media has been abuzz with discussions as to whether or not Mario's antics is a form of quasi-demonic possession. Some have contemplated how harrowing it must be to be a child in New Donk City, ever fearful that the Dreaded Red Hat could be hurled your way without warning...

For the record, the rule is that Mario cannot possess anything that wears a hat. The definition seems to extend to any sort of headgear that either covers the top of one's head or has a visor. (For instance, the Uproots in the Wooded Kingdom wear flower pots like helmets, which puts them off-limits unless you can remove it.) Also note that every major character has something that fits that definition, as do most friendly NPCs. And most enemies, even where it makes no sense, like the tiny ten-gallon hat on the sleeping tyrannosaurus. So it's a rule the world seems to understand.

Nevertheless, it is the creepiest power Mario's had. And he's been a ghost more than once.

Souther wrote:
Unless you're talking about colour palette, I don't think MvCi is particularly dark or serious, but it does look fairly ugly to me. Ms Marvel and Ryu are the only characters I think look decent. Capcom's older FG titles have been competitive and had similar/higher levels of depth to their mechanics while still being able to pull casual/non-competitive players, you can please both crowds. I agree that the roster so far isn't very interesting.

I guess it's because I'm looking at it from the character design standpoint. Or maybe it's from Marvel vs. Capcom 3, where a lot of the stages are set at night or are otherwise gloomy or moody in lighting and atmosphere. But I would've liked a lot more wacky-looking characters. I always felt that games with huge crossovers from unrelated franchises should have characters who look wildly different from one another. It can't really be helped from the Marvel side as it's a company with a focus on one specific genre of storytelling, unless they pull in characters like Howard the Duck, but from the Capcom side, I'd like to see more characters from colorful, stylized franchises like Zack & Wiki, the MegaMan.exe sub-series, and Power Stone. I mean, they got Arthur in there, but it's not enough. As for the seriousness, I got it from the overall art style and characters' demeanor, but I suppose I could be wrong. I did get very sick of two-thirds of the roster being cocky smack-talkers in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 though. Characters like Iron Man and Wesker ARE like that in their home franchises and I don't mind, but characters like Ryu and Captain America are not, and I wanted to be more respectful and friendlier like they naturally are.

The Project X Zone games show that there can be a clashing-characters feel to the Capcom side. Heck, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom was like that too.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
In Capcom's defense, a lot of licensing issues have emerged, even at the Disney level, since the last time they could put X-Men in a fighting game.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:13 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
All I ever seem to hear about MvC Infinite is nothing but negativity toward it.

Par for the course for virtually anything Capcom makes nowadays especially a Marvel vs Capcom title.

Hoppy800 wrote:
TGS will blow this poor excuse of an E3 out of the water.

Which is funny for the simple fact(s) that a good portion of the games that'll be at TGS will be games that were already shown at E3 or before hand whereas the remainder will be a bunch of niche titles the majority of which won't get localized.

Themaster20000 wrote:
Was really disappointed in Sony's conference. As mentioned with the Spider-Man game,they focused on showing a level filled with QTE events and scripted nonsense.

You just started paying attention to Spider-Man games? kind of been par for the course since about the 3rd movie game.

Themaster20000 wrote:
Shadow of the Colossi remake was just "why?" for me,considering it has a version already that looks and plays just fine.

Yeah for a remastered version of a game that still looks like a PS2 game that wasn't all that good looking to start with.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Super Mario Odyssey is proving to be an exciting experience! Smile Seeing Mario interacting with the urban environment in New Donk City is quite refreshing compared to earlier adventures of yesteryear.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:07 am Reply with quote
Repeating myself from other threads. Anyone think the t-rex was from Monster Hunter until Mario's hat was revealed?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2