• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st 3 The Ancient Magus' Bride Episodes, Children of Ether to Screen in U.S. Theaters

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see that it won't be just at Anime Expo. Though right now there aren't any theaters in Virginia Confused Though I can't imagine we would be passed over.

Hoping the same can be done for Violet Evergarden but it is unlikely at this point.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Hold up. This Rhonda character in Children of Ether... is she the lady on the bottom left???

Cause if she is, than I think she may very well be the first black female lead character in an anime. Stop me if that's not her. Surprised
donhumberto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
^^ That would be Michiko from the awesome Michiko and Hatchin.
Anyway, mixed feelings about this announcement. I'm glad to hear about Children of Ether as I have some hopes for it but kinda sad to know that it's only going to be a short... oh well, maybe if it's well received we could get a full series down the line Rolling Eyes
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
Anyway, mixed feelings about this announcement. I'm glad to hear about Children of Ether as I have some hopes for it but kinda sad to know that it's only going to be a short... oh well, maybe if it's well received we could get a full series down the line Rolling Eyes

Michiko is more of a mixed "Brazilian", if that's more ethnically correct. I've never thought of her as black at all. Confused
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Hold up. This Rhonda character in Children of Ether... is she the lady on the bottom left???

Cause if she is, than I think she may very well be the first black female lead character in an anime. Stop me if that's not her. Surprised

So I guess you haven't seen Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:57 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:

Nadia's black??? I thought she was a Native American or something. Shocked
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

My understanding is that the creators wanted to make her skin darker, but the limits of cel paints and/or film stocks that were available at the time left her more ambiguously brown.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:53 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

My understanding is that the creators wanted to make her skin darker, but the limits of cel paints and/or film stocks that were available at the time left her more ambiguously brown.

That doesn't really help, but whatever. Neutral
Kikimani

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
donhumberto wrote:

Michiko is more of a mixed "Brazilian", if that's more ethnically correct. I've never thought of her as black at all. Confused

Being mixed would not prevent her from being black. Brazil has the largest population of African diaspora outside of the continent. "Brazilian" would be her nationality and Latina her ethnicity if we wanted to be more "correct" Wink. Beyond her look, Sayo Yamamoto in interviews cited the film City of God--a film set in Brazil's favelas with black lead characters--as a major inspiration. So Michiko and Hatchin counts and predates CoE, at least.

I just started to read Magus Bride manga and didn't know there was an OVA prequel. With Ballroom on Strike I'd be quite happy to skip summer and get to Fall...except that I feel as if Amazon will kidnap at least one of the series I'm looking forward to.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:59 am Reply with quote
Nadia is an alien but grew up in Kenya. I don't remember the site, but there was a page that kind of backs up what fuuma_monou said. I think it even may have stated they wanted her to look Indian.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1