• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2017: Violet Evergarden World Premiere

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Going to keep my expectations low. Though I am interested. I can't help but be reminded of Saber.
cemex

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:32 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Going to keep my expectations low. Though I am interested. I can't help but be reminded of Saber.

I was at the premier and Violet did remind of Mikasa with feels. The first episode was really good though
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote
This was the report I was most looking forward to. Nice to hear that quality levels are at theatrical levels. While Jacob doesn't seem entirely sold on the story, I think his praise of the episode bodes well, coming from someone who isn't KyoAni's biggest fan (not that he hates them).

The wait will be long though.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:53 pm Reply with quote
That premiere was amazing. The episode was amazing and TRUE was great as always. It will easily be the best looking tv anime ever made if that quality keeps up. Now to wait till next year Sad
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:22 am Reply with quote
I assume that everyone in this thread has seen both of Violet Evergarden's PVs. I also hope that you all noticed that Violet looks different in the two PVs.

So to the lucky ones that got to see the premiere, does Violet look more like the one shown in PV1 (Sento Isuzu style), or PV2 (Nishimiya Shouko style)?

Personally I prefer the style in PV1.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:51 am Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
I assume that everyone in this thread has seen both of Violet Evergarden's PVs. I also hope that you all noticed that Violet looks different in the two PVs.

So to the lucky ones that got to see the premiere, does Violet look more like the one shown in PV1 (Sento Isuzu style), or PV2 (Nishimiya Shouko style)?

Personally I prefer the style in PV1.

The second one is way more indicative of what the show actually looks like than the first in all regards, which is sorta to be expected. It looks great, but it doesn't look THAT detailed.
PFdaCIA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:17 am Reply with quote
I'm very reticent. People have mania to put Hype by animation [fluid 100%, and with digital filter] and forget the story. Although, of course, I will not tell you in advance that the story does not have a good premise, I watched Kyoukai in the Kanata, and found the story good. The animation was incredibly fluid, some interesting digital effects, though I would not call it proper technique, nevertheless a peculiar feature.

So, yes: I expect something really great if it is a story and if it is an animation that is a question that dispenses comments. But I'm going to be a bit skeptical, because this evil of putting Hype through what has been seen, not through history, is a serious problem.
aiem

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:29 am Reply with quote
To the post above me. What?

In any case, I was disappointed by the Q&A session. People asked dumb questions instead of asking pretty interesting ones. I'd like to know where the staff drew there inspiration from since this wasn't their typical modern scenery yet they pulled this off beautifully.

It was really awestruck how they managed to nail some of the feel of the old times. Let alone the imagery they painted with the bustling town/city which was pushing forward with the wounds they have from the war.

That was something you rarely see in anime. I mean most of the time they just tell you briefly and you don't get sucked into it. The benefit from this episode was that they took their time and depicted the environment the character lives in.

I gotta say, this is the best I've seen from Ishidate.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:29 am Reply with quote
Thank you for the previews! It must take quite an effort considering everything else that's happening right now.

Kyoani's works have always managed to enchant through their everyday, contemporary settings, I find. They allow for the magic they contain, whether literal or simply directorial, to grow so vivid by way of contrast. This being so, it's quite a pity that they've opted for what seems to be a historical fantasy setting in this outing. I shall probably let this series pass me by.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:22 am Reply with quote
It's kind of crazy to think Winter 2018 is going to pretty packed with big anticipated titles especially with this, Fate/Extra, and the new Cardcaptor Sakura. I can't wait for my eyes to get one helluva feast!
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:35 am Reply with quote
Being at the premiere, I couldn't agree with the review more. What stood out to me were the directorial choices and, of course, the cinematography even above the stunning visuals. This looks to be a story with a lot to say and is deeply touching, Being a Shinkai fan, I'd say this compares well with his work. Can't wait for Ep2!
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I was really blown away by the first episode it was really touching. I think as it progresses it will become even better. For the Rei comparison, I can see it, but I feel like the pay off for her growth will really set her apart.

As for the quality, I think that most of the action scenes haven't been really demonstrated yet, except some war scenes.

aiem wrote:
. I'd like to know where the staff drew there inspiration from since this wasn't their typical modern scenery yet they pulled this off beautifully.
Agreed! I was the one that had my hand up and they picked the other girl in the white shirt few feet away because he could see her -_-. I had wanted to ask that very question!!! I know since they base a lot on real locations and wondered where specifically they based the visuals on and if they traveled outside Japan or looked at photos.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:26 am Reply with quote
With only 2 LN volumes so far, this will likely be 12 episodes. Then again, KyoAni's LN branch tend to have series that are only 3-5 volumes. That is, that branch doesn't have a high annual output of volumes and they have a low LN title catalog.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1