• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Don't Dig Up Your SNES

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote
Super V.G. is better than that garbage of a SFC fighter. Avoid that steaming pile of hot garbage like the plague.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:53 am Reply with quote
The new Fire Pro Wrestling title looks promising, insofar as every significant feature from the series' previous outing has either remained in situ or is planned to appear upon the full release. At present, my only concern is that users are rushing to upload new wrestlers without fully respecting the delicate logic editor, leading to many lacklustre finishes. As previous games have taught us, it can sometimes take days to tweak someone's attributes until they behave realistically.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Small scale JRPG Asdivine Cross makes the leap from mobile to 3DS this week, while YouTube's Game Grumps are putting out a memey, Westernized take on dating sims with Dream Daddy: A Dad Dating Simulator.

Kemco RPGs are becoming a little stale lately. I know they need to keep publishing mobile titles to keep their revenue coming in, but too many of their games are copypasted. They should have made Alphadia IV and V available for the international market, but both titles are too old for that now.

Dream Daddy? Haha, that sounds like it's worth playing provided the choices are manly hunks of dad. :D
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Super V.G. is better than that garbage of a SFC fighter. Avoid that steaming pile of hot garbage like the plague.

I'm not sure if Super Variable Geo is being used as an example of bottom of the barrel - if so it's way more competent than that, it actually still holds up pretty well. No, I'd compare this more to...like...

...I'm trying to think of an example, like Tuff E Nuff or Doomsday Warrior or something, but honestly, those at least all RUN well enough. Unholy Night's choppiness is more reminiscent of a game still in the testing phase. I don't doubt they basically made it to that point and gave up.

I own two copies! :D
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:38 pm Reply with quote
There's a workaround some people have found for the Splatoon 2 demo: If you have multiple accounts on the Switch in different languages, you can download the demo again. Apparently, different languages run at different times, though I don't really have any interest in that so I didn't look it up, only that Japanese runs differently from English and so I've been seeing Japanese Inklings appear in my English-language hub.

Zin5ki wrote:
The new Fire Pro Wrestling title looks promising, insofar as every significant feature from the series' previous outing has either remained in situ or is planned to appear upon the full release. At present, my only concern is that users are rushing to upload new wrestlers without fully respecting the delicate logic editor, leading to many lacklustre finishes. As previous games have taught us, it can sometimes take days to tweak someone's attributes until they behave realistically.

Yep, having played Super Mario Maker a lot, I can say that most people nowadays spend way too little time with creation and rush them out for the sake of being there first. People took the time to make compelling stuff for LittleBigPlanet. But I guess life moves faster than it used to, and the race to be first trumps everything else.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And at this point, any respite from the relentless mediocrity of the official WWE games is a welcome one.

I have my problems with Yuke's work on the games but they're not that bad.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I only got into wrestling within the past few years

Amen, bruh
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I think the best fighting games released on SNES were licensed conversions of the SNK Neo-Geo and Capcom SF II series.

The original and anime-inspired fighting games were generally awful. They weren't deep (far inferior in most instances to the play mechanics of the SNK and Capcom fighters) and more than a few were plagued by the usual SNES hardware issue -- significant CPU overload that resulted in noticeable game slowdown.

Most of us who played with 16-bit systems, agree that the Sega Genesis generally had inferior sound (8-bit) and fuzzier, darker graphics than the SNES.
What some people don't acknowledge or recognize is that the SNES was the slower of the two systems... The CPU was weaker and it really showed at times with horrendous slowdown in games. I've experienced this in sidescrollers (really bad in Earthworm Jim on SNES; the Genesis port never slowed down in all the times I played it), shooting games (I owned the SFC Macross shooter; again, instances of slowdown occurred in that game), and quite a few of the fighting games originated or ported on the SNES. Capcom generally had very competent programmers and I never experienced significant slowdowns in the SNES ports of their SF II games even though both 16-bit console conversions of Super Street Fighter II had horrendous audio compared to the original CPS-2 arcade game. The less said about Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the SNES, the better! It was an awful conversion and frankly there was no reason to buy it with superior ports of SF Alpha 2 available on the Sega Saturn and Sony PlayStation (1)!

I owned the third Ranma 1/2 fighting game made for the SFC (it was going to be called Anything Goes for the US market but the licensing company in the US went bankrupt before they could localize it). It was a decent game -- probably the best of the Ranma 1/2 fighting games ever produced, period -- BUT it had significant slowdown issues like quite a few SFC/SNES games did. They did use newly recorded audio of the major Ranma 1/2 voice actors (but the audio sounded tinny on the SFC/SNES since the system really didn't spare enough RAM for the sound chip; the Sega Saturn had a similar RAM audio issue, too). This is the only Ranma 1/2 media where they cast a voice actor for the Herb character.
Ryu Kumon was also voice cast for the Sony PlayStation Ranma 1/2 Battle Rennaisance polygon fighter. Again, that was also the only instance of media where I'm aware they voice-cast for the Ryu Kumon character.
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yep, having played Super Mario Maker a lot, I can say that most people nowadays spend way too little time with creation and rush them out for the sake of being there first. People took the time to make compelling stuff for LittleBigPlanet. But I guess life moves faster than it used to, and the race to be first trumps everything else.

It's different stuff, but the same can be said about people who can't wait to see Kagegurui of Fate/Apocrypha because "I have to post first than anyone how much I like this show and how much damage Netflix is doing to it", even when probably one of the two, or both shows are slow AF to sit through, yet when you binge-watch them they'll be better to sit through. Yeah, people can't wait to be the first. And don't tell me about the NEtflix hate, because I understand it.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:13 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
The less said about Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the SNES, the better! It was an awful conversion and frankly there was no reason to buy it with superior ports of SF Alpha 2 available on the Sega Saturn and Sony PlayStation (1)!

"Round One!"
(Everything stops for several seconds.)
"Fight!"
(Everything stops again.)

The decompression routines that cartridge used were technically ingenious, but the end result was still less than what was acceptable from an arcade conversion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
What was it about Snake Park that made it an unfair stage? Confused
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
What was it about Snake Park that made it an unfair stage? Confused

The main thing is that characters on the spinning top platforms get a mobility advantage, but there are three of them arranged around Snake Park 120 degrees from each other. That means in two-player matches, where characters begin on opposite sides, one player begins right in front of one of these platforms but the other player does not.

While every stage in the game is laterally symmetrical, with a few exceptions, the two players begin on opposite sides of the line of symmetry. Snake Park, Cinema Deux, and Ninja College are the only ones where players are placed ON the line of symmetry. Ninja College hasn't shown any significant advantage to either the player beginning at the bottom of the stairs or the player at the top, and Cinema Deux places both players behind cover at the start (a car parked on the curb) allowing them to stake out the positions they want, or at least try. Snake Park is the one stage that gives one character the immediate benefit of faster movement while making the other character have to work for it.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
I think the best fighting games released on SNES were licensed conversions of the SNK Neo-Geo and Capcom SF II series.

The original and anime-inspired fighting games were generally awful. They weren't deep (far inferior in most instances to the play mechanics of the SNK and Capcom fighters) and more than a few were plagued by the usual SNES hardware issue -- significant CPU overload that resulted in noticeable game slowdown.

Ehhh, I dunno about that. The Super Nintendo honestly has the most original/non-port fighting games that are good of any of the 16-bit systems, and they're pretty much all worth revisiting. Sailor Moon S and Super S, Ninja Turtles Tournament Fighters, Dragon Ball Z Hyper Dimension, Gundam Wing Endless Duel...those are all definitely some of the best of that era. Expand things a bit to stuff that isn't quite perfect but very interesting and you've got stuff like SD Hiryu no Ken, Battle Tycoon, Osu!! Karate Bu...there's plenty of outright bad stuff too, but that seems to come with the territory of the sheer volume the SNES had.

Basically, I think the old thing deserves a little more credit. I was playing DBZ Hyper Dimension again just the other day!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:22 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

I know when playing Super Mario World on the SNES the game did have some weird parts where it weirdly could slowdown (something apparently even the GBA version has) but generally no one makes a big deal about it because games on the SNES even in spite of the slowdown were playable.

GeorgeC wrote:
It was an awful conversion and frankly there was no reason to buy it with superior ports of SF Alpha 2 available on the Sega Saturn and Sony PlayStation (1)!

Unless of course you didn't have a PS1 or Sega Saturn and the person buying you the game and most of the people who played it didn't care about the port's issues. I'd also be shocked if Alpha 2's PS port was good considering the infamous shakiness of Capcom's PS1 ports.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1