• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Aug 5-11 [2017-08-17]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Nothing unexpected jumps out to me. I can't help being amazed that every season without fail the shows that I and others consider the best rise up to the top of the cumulative.

Article's Blurb wrote:
Restaurant to Another World races up the charts!

Actually it only went up in the highly volatile and ultimately inconsequential weekly chart.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Princess Principal is doing pretty great actually. I was just looking at the MAL numbers yesterday and was really surprised at how few people were watching it(no, being on Amazon is not a reason, just look at almost every other show on the platform, many are doing much better). I don't know why, because it seemed to me, like something destined to be a big hit. I'm looking forward to it personally, at least. And am glad that the people who are watching it seem to really enjoy it!

It's interesting that the discussion around The Reflection seemed to get significantly more positive after the first week yet it still sits at the bottom of the list. I guess that's maybe a sign of the type and size of the audience that digs that kind of thing in the first place. I might watch it at some point. I am a big fan of Nagahama, but that's about it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:51 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Looks like Princess Principal is doing pretty great actually. I was just looking at the MAL numbers yesterday and was really surprised at how few people were watching it(no, being on Amazon is not a reason, just look at almost every other show on the platform, many are doing much better). I don't know why, because it seemed to me, like something destined to be a big hit. I'm looking forward to it personally, at least. And am glad that the people who are watching it seem to really enjoy it!

I am one of those who is really enjoying Princess Principal; it is in fact my favorite new anime from Summer. I liked it from the first episode, but it did not cross my mind that it could be a hit. However, I am changing my stance on that. As a big Sentai Filmworks fan, I hope Pripri becomes a big hit, it is dubbed, given a nice LE and that Sentai sells a ton of copies.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:53 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

It's interesting that the discussion around The Reflection seemed to get significantly more positive after the first week yet it still sits at the bottom of the list. I guess that's maybe a sign of the type and size of the audience that digs that kind of thing in the first place. I might watch it at some point. I am a big fan of Nagahama, but that's about it.

I'm also really surprised by princess principal, mostly because I watched ep 1 and parts of 2 and 3 and it seemed like a style over substance show which usually don't do that well in rating (was expecting it to be around knight and magic).

Personally I liked the reflection episode 1 better than the rest, but my taste are clearly in the minority there. The weird pacing was far more tolerable in episode 1since it wasn't trying to explain a story with heavy use of dialogue, but the last few episode have had some downright bizarre continuity moment.

I'm surprised at how steady ballroom has been, in my mind its been a roller coaster with the best episode followed by the worst.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Article's Blurb wrote:
Restaurant to Another World races up the charts!

Actually it only went up in the highly volatile and ultimately inconsequential weekly chart.

Well the changes in the weekly will eventually feed into the cumulative, so I wouldn't say it is inconsequential, though one can certainly read too much into the weekly ratings. At the very least, this weekly result for Restaurant to Another World makes it more likely to keep its position in the top ten.

@relyat08 While at the beginning of the season, I just thought Princess Principal was dumb fun, at this point I would say that it is genuinely good. Hopefully it keeps that up.

While I would like to chalk up The Reflection's continued presence at the bottom to it being difficult to get back up from the bottom, the ratings after the first, while better, are still very modest. It should at least surpass Vatican Miracle Examiner in the cumulative.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Could someone tell me why Altair has been MIA for two weeks now? Is it airing tomorrow? I'm sure it's been announced but I clearly missed it.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Could someone tell me why Altair has been MIA for two weeks now? Is it airing tomorrow? I'm sure it's been announced but I clearly missed it.

Per the official website and the broadcaster's website, the fifth episode will be airing tomorrow. Likewise for the next episode of its block mate, Rage of Bahamut Virgin Soul

As to the why, it's hard to say. The reasons listed on the official sites are either vague or beyond my comprehension.

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

There have been delays in several of the Anime Strike simulcasts the past two weeks. The episodes seem to be airing in Japan. I am inclined to think that Amazon is delaying simulcasts because they are not on top of things; it is becoming annoying.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:03 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
There have been delays in several of the Anime Strike simulcasts the past two weeks. The episodes seem to be airing in Japan. I am inclined to think that Amazon is delaying simulcasts because they are not on top of things; it is becoming annoying.

No, on the official websites and broadcaster website, Altair and Virgin Soul shows did not air on the 4th and 11th. For neither show do any further episodes appear on...less than legitimate streaming sites. For these two shows, this is not at all on Amazon. I didn't notice any delays in any other Strike shows, but I'm not watching all of them, so there may be others.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:09 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I didn't notice any delays in any other Strike shows, but I'm not watching all of them, so there may be others.

Princess Principal episode 4 apparently aired in Japan at its normal time, but Anime Strike delayed it by about one day.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:19 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Princess Principal episode 4 apparently aired in Japan at its normal time, but Anime Strike delayed it by about one day.

Yeah, Amazon is not very transparent about their release schedule, normal or delayed, and they definitely need to work on it. It doesn't seem like the production is cutting it close for Princess Principal, but generally speaking, even if it airs at the regular time in Japan, it might not be the simulcaster's fault for the delay outside of Japan. If the production is troubled and they are just barely getting it to the broadcaster in time for air, the simulcasting site will be delayed in receiving the materials, so they will have to delay streaming it, even though it aired as usual in Japan. There are plenty of times episodes were delayed on CR that aired on schedule in Japan, though the difference is CR usually tells us that it is delayed and when they plan to release it.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:35 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
[

As to the why, it's hard to say. The reasons listed on the official sites are either vague or beyond my comprehension.

Considering both shows and Kakegurui all went on unexpected breaks at the same time, and all 3 are MAPPA properties, my guess is the stress of keeping up 3 (plus another 2 for next season!) shows this season caught up with the production lead times.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I believe the breaks were due to the Athletism World Championship broadcast?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:56 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I believe the breaks were due to the Athletism World Championship broadcast?

I read an article on this site that Kakegurui was delayed due to a sports program, but I can't find it.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:24 am Reply with quote
Screw Summer, Made In Abyss is on course to be one of the best shows of the year. Nothing else like it out there right now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2