• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Was Little Witch Academia Worth the Wait?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
Too bad Netflix has neglected to advertise the series. Netflix US didn't even mention the second half was coming this month on any "coming to August" lists; we had to learn through international sources.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:49 am Reply with quote
Ah Little Witch Academia: that fantastic show that after voted the most anticipated show of the season, completely fell off the face of the anime community. Thanks Netflix!

Was it worth the wait? No. Is it still worth watching? Yes.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
While LWA is definitely in my top 5 for this year, I'm not sure a 2nd season is warranted. The series left off at what I would consider just the right moment: with all the major character arcs and growth at a logical conclusion and just enough hints at where everyone goes from there to satisfy its fans. I can see maybe doing a movie to wrap up the few remaining plot points, but I think another season would water down what has otherwise been a very good, enjoyable show.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Having only watched the first batch of episodes, I was disappointed with the Little Witch Academia tv series because it is a children's show. After watching the OVA's of LWA I thought that the tv version was going to be a fun, light adventure with some dark stuff and a touch of otaku fanservice/pandering. I am not against children's entertainment, but it is not my preferred kind of anime.

I think that if you wanted to see a well crafted show the wait was worth it because Trigger did and outstanding work. But if you were looking for something along the lines of a typical late night otaku show, LWA tv show is not that. That being said, Little Watch Academia is the kind of show that can flourish under Netflix's binge model, but they need to leave alone the otaku titles like Violet Evergarden.
JohnHawk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:09 pm Reply with quote
What wait Rolling Eyes did people actually wait for netflix?
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:19 pm Reply with quote
While I would have much preferred if Netflix had simulcasted this one, this show was definitely a very fun ride for me. Definitely one of my favorites of 2017. I could see a second season happening, but even if it doesn't happen, I'm still grateful for what we got. I also think that it didn't completely fall of the face of the anime community because I have a gut feeling that this one will end up in many people's favorites and recommended lists for the future. Sure, it may have received more attention by the more ardent side of the anime fandom if it was licensed by, say Crunchyroll, but I don't think LWA will completely fall into obscurity with anime fans due to its background and overall positive messages that are hard not to avoid on the internet. And to the one comment right above me, yes, there were people who waited for Netflix because it is, whether you like it or not, a legal method to watch it.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I've seen seven episodes and so far, I'm irritated by it. "Ha ha, she can't do magic. Failure is funny!"

Could she do magic before? What got her in the school? Is there a Potter like masquerade of not? I get who Ursula is, please stop it. Stop it now....

"Funny."

How about an actual plot or goal beyond "magic is cool and I have to learn magic at school without really being able to do it to become a witch because schools are important to Japan {Replace witch with being a superhero? Why?}"?

"F. U. N. N. Y. Why is that so hard for you to grasp?"

Because I've seen your two previous series and those series got to the "twist episode" turning point by giving a reachable goal to the lead hero and I'm already sick of the broom gag, let alone have enough patience for "graduation" or whatever the twist could possibly be.

But apart from that, great series. Wait, I think my sarcasm function is faulty...
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Going to be a Debbie Downer on this but the 2nd half was terrible in my opinion. While it was focusing on Akko and her friendly rivalry with Diana it was great. But once Croix came around with her BS story it all fell apart. So many things left unexplained, so much wasted potential...
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:57 pm Reply with quote
JohnHawk wrote:
What wait Rolling Eyes did people actually wait for netflix?

Most didn't probably. Just look at the Little Witch Academia subreddit, or even r/anime. People just watching it on illegal sites rather than put up with Netflix bull and wait 6 months for a big name show like that. Anyone who says that Netflix way of handling anime in the USA isn't encouraging piracy is wrong.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I've seen seven episodes and so far, I'm irritated by it. "Ha ha, she can't do magic. Failure is funny!"

Could she do magic before? What got her in the school? Is there a Potter like masquerade of not? I get who Ursula is, please stop it..

Interestingly enough, every one of your complaints gets addressed in the second half of the show. The show focuses on character building in its first half and plot in its second half, so it gets more of a story arc later on. That said, the show doesn't follow the usual Trigger structure of soft-rebooting itself halfway through, either. It's setting up more plotlines in the early episodes than you might think.
NormanS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
My gripe with the series is the mostly episodic nature of LWA. You have episodes that teach Akko important life lessons only for them to be non-present or disregarded in the next episode. To me it seems like Akko learned nothing for the most part. I also found the episodic nature not doing much for the overall character development in the cast, sure the Sucy or Lotte episode has given extra depth to them, but we don't see them any more complex and reverting back to their initial state unlike Diana who's development shows.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Boring and monotone. The series proves that LWA works great in small doses, but not much more than that. A big chunk of the episodes felt like useless filler and absolutely nothing about the world was ever interesting. The magic world is boring, lifeless and confined to Luna Nova, while the human world is so dreadfully uninteresting that soccer hooligans, of all things, were a big plot point. The LWA world is based on magic but almost nothing about it feels magical.

Sucy and Lotte did absolutely nothing memorable, outside of that one Twilight episode. They might as well have been cardboard cut-outs in the background. Sucy is a fan favorite and to be treated this way is almost insulting. Akko is annoying most of the way, and has this egregious false sense of development where her personality just resets after every single "important life lesson" she """"""learned"""""", which makes Diana feel like the real MC. Besides her, none of the characters develop in any decent way. Croix was a generic and unimaginative villain; her being all cooperative and nice once she was defeated felt very forced and unwarranted. In fact, this was a running mistake with all the series’ "villains", like Andrew’s father, Diana’s aunt and that one guy in the boys’ school. Also, what was the point of Andrew again? He could very well not exist and little would change with Akko and Diana.

Wasted potential: the show.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
^^ Damn, so much hate from the person above me. I guess every anime in existence has to attract some form of hate by people who didn't get what they were thinking they were going to get when they watched it, warranted or unwarranted. LWA is far from what I would personally call wasted potential: the show, but eh. I personally don't think it's something to get my knickers in a twist over. Different strokes for different folks.
whitesox123

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:20 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Having only watched the first batch of episodes, I was disappointed with the Little Witch Academia tv series because it is a children's show. After watching the OVA's of LWA I thought that the tv version was going to be a fun, light adventure with some dark stuff and a touch of otaku fanservice/pandering. I am not against children's entertainment, but it is not my preferred kind of anime.

I think that if you wanted to see a well crafted show the wait was worth it because Trigger did and outstanding work. But if you were looking for something along the lines of a typical late night otaku show, LWA tv show is not that. That being said, Little Watch Academia is the kind of show that can flourish under Netflix's binge model, but they need to leave alone the otaku titles like Violet Evergarden.
Well thankfully your idea for what the show could of been never came to fruition. That sounds like another otaku pandering garbage anime we already have enough of.
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Too bad Netflix has neglected to advertise the series. Netflix US didn't even mention the second half was coming this month on any "coming to August" lists; we had to learn through international sources.

Well, too bad for you, the audience, to not know that the first 13 episodes were a little heavily advertised in Netflix the same day of release, yet you anime fans didn´t go to the site because "I already watched it illegally, so I don´t need to support studio Trigger by watching the series again on Netflix". It would´ve been good if there were no fansubs whatsoever for this series and everyone waited for the delay patiently, like some of us do with an anime movie when it´s released on the West.

And also, what the complaints for anime viewers towards Netflix amounted to? To most of you criticize the show for being mostly episodic, and say "Oh no, they westernized LWA, if studio Trigger continues like this, their shows will be crap. I watch anime for the weird and the otaku and stuff".

No one wants to learn that, for as bad as Netflix Delays are, the good thing to come out of it is that you´ll know from other people that the show is crap, so it´s not worth both: complaining about Netflix delays, and watching illegally the show. Learn the lesson.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3