• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Studio MAPPA's Masao Maruyama

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Satoshi Kon is high art? Confused I mean, his stuff is cool and stuff but to me it's like pop art.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
It was a happy accident that I watched this film at the convention. While it is as unpleasant and harrowing as one could have expected—indeed, it is this way by design—the experience came to be one of the highlights of my holiday. People who are not fans of war films will not lose their time in trying this as I did: its disjointed and unnervingly charming slice-of-life formula is alone an impressive gamble to take in view of its cruel subject matter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The concept behind In This Corner of the World is nothing that's flashy, it's not even a tearjerker.

"Not even a tearjerker"?????

Tell that to the tears I shed while watching this on the plane!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
A short but good interview. I have yet to watch this movie, but the positive reactions I have heard and this interview are making consider importing the English-subbed Japanese release. I am sure this is not relevant for most, but I would have liked to hear from Maruyama why the characters designs are so moe/cute.

And there are a couple of typos in the article; before the title of the movie you forgot to add "in".
horseradish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote
^angelmcazares

The character designs are evidently based on Fumiyo Kouno's art for the manga. In a prior interview with Maruyama when he was asked if there was a way to persuade young people to see the film despite its depressing war content, he answered "Yes... The original manga writer Fumiyo Kōno's character is very soft and she looks adorable. I wanted to capture those characteristics in the animation." I think ANN would have to interview Kouno about her work for further details, since her other series generally feature similar styles.

Last edited by horseradish on Mon May 04, 2020 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Wait I thought Maruyama left Mappa to start Studio M2
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1