• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fullmetal Alchemist Anime Director Criticizes Upcoming Live-Action Film

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
“It was a bad idea to only use Japanese actors.”

Seeing a Japanese director criticize a movie for not having diversity actually surprises me. Not that I`m disagreeing though, because that was my biggest complaint about the AOT live-action movie.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Especially after it was stated that Edward isn't Japanese, so the casting already committed a fundamental flaw.

Though, on the other hand, if they were to cast European actors, wouldn't they need to be fluent in Japanese for this to work?

Last edited by belvadeer on Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
jppcouto

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Finally someone important tells the truth that needs to be heard. Fullmetal Alchemist needs western actors, not asians. The comment ends up gaining more appeal when you know that it's the director from the FMA anime adaptation.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
“2D is freer than live action,” was the consensus. “You can express more with it.”

This, though.

Can we just... this.

I don't really have a problem with the race thing (it's standard in stage productions to just ignore that, and I watch more stage productions than live action), but it is just one of the many areas in which animation is totally superior to live-action. Live-action just seems pointless to me, especially since so much of it is basically just CG animation now. If you're not going to have it live on stage, why not just make it animated? The only reason for live-action is the stigma against animation.

I just want to world to see that animation is the greatest art form of the modern age, and to really appreciate it. I want there to not just be this one little country with a decent, varied animation output. I want the whole world to appreciate animation.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote
No complaints about whitewashing here.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote
Well, most of his opinion is completely legit: you can't do the most things in live-action so simply that allowed in animated media, if you don't have the ridiculous budget. Japanese movie industry can't get the same budget and level of scale that Western blockbuster movies gets - and if it gets, it cannot be so simple to revenue that pile of money by being the japanese movie.

But there is a real cons of his words:
Quote:
It was a bad idea to only use Japanese actors.
And there we go - if you use the western actors, you need to scale the budget drastically, because even western TV series actors nowadays cost a good price. And it's not only about their salary - the script translation (because well, there is not many Western actors that know japanese in the world), increase in the production team to coordinate the actors, and much, much more. That all cost money and time - and for more, it's all can be the bigger loss of money - because japanese movies get most revenue from it's home market (and well, the China, if it's going to be hit there). For the producers that all surely will be the madness, and even the animation director should know how can it be.

Quote:
“Gintama just looked stupid,” he complained
Well, if it comes to Gintama, the word "stupid" is more a compliment that complain. Even Sorachi acknowledges that by saying that movie will more looks like the comedy cosplay party.

Quote:
The producers shared his sentiments about live-action films, mentioning that Terraformars was a bad adaptation of a great manga.
C'mon, the story about the gory rampage of martian cockroaches that looks like muscular afro-american people versus insect-powered humans is so ridiculous and B-grade, that even in the animated form it doesn't do well, left alone the movie.
MadHi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:47 am Reply with quote
It would be a little disorienting to see Japanese actors portraying supposedly white people and speaking in Japanese. But I have to bear in mind that the series only draws inspiration from Europe, it's the original anime that more directly linked them with European culture.

Having said that, I prefer the original series, I don't like Brotherhood or the manga so I hope it takes some liberties in adapting the manga into a movie.

Last edited by MadHi on Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
hehe652

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
So you mean to tell me that they need to find someone from Resembool, Amestris irl that is white and an actor and lives in Japan and speak Japanese to act as Edward? Wow~
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:36 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:

Especially after it was stated that Edward isn't Japanese, so the casting already committed a fundamental flaw.

Though, on the other hand, if they were to cast European actors, wouldn't they need to be fluent in Japanese for this to work?

Now that you've mention it, they SHOULD be perfect to speak Japanese. So yeah.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Is this part of the movie's marketing buzz?
My hunch says it is.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I can't really wrap my head around live action anime/manga adaptations, it's just always disappointing because it just works better to me in animated form. Maybe it's because the animated form can express emotions in a better way sometimes than a live action actor or in a way that a live action actor can't. Also often the special effects for something from the anime looks really bad to me, or the makeup job on someone, like DragonBall Evolution taking a stab at what a Namekian would look like for real. Or the fact that in a live action version of Death Note ,Ryuk looks fake constantly.
I mean I guess for somethings it works like Rurouni Kenshin I guess. I do also enjoy the cheesiness of the Riki-Oh live action movie.

And I kind of feel like if they tried getting actual western/European actors to play Full Metal Alchemist on this, it could turned into G-Saviour real quick.
nhat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
jppcouto wrote:
Quote:

Finally someone important tells the truth that needs to be heard. Fullmetal Alchemist needs western actors, not asians. The comment ends up gaining more appeal when you know that it's the director from the FMA anime adaptation.

It's not as practical to have different ethnicities as it is in the West. JP barely have any asian minorities let alone west and their movie budgets aren't as big as Hollywood. It's easier to compare and complain but in reality it's not that simple.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
jppcouto wrote:
Quote:

It's not as practical to have different ethnicities as it is in the West. JP barely have any asian minorities let alone west and their movie budgets aren't as big as Hollywood. It's easier to compare and complain but in reality it's not that simple.

The only way they could do it and it would probably turn out bad, is to G Saviour it and have it be a co-production with Canada or something.
silentjay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
Not that I`m disagreeing though, because that was my biggest complaint about the AOT live-action movie.

Though it was interesting that they cast a non-Japanese (albeit, using a Japanese stage name) actress for Mikasa, so at least they had some clue that it was a bad idea, like when WB pushed for Schwarzenegger to play Sgt. Rock.
silentjay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

They've been doing foreign language productions for ages, and don't generally have a bias against dubs or subtitles. There's a reasonable enough chance that all-Japanese FMA will flop because of the casting, because it makes The Last Airbender look like a minor misjudgment. Japan may be culturally homogeneous, almost to a fault, but it's generally not blindly so when it comes to the movie's target audience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3