• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dances with the Dragons (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:54 am Reply with quote

Dances with the Dragons (TV)

Genres: fantasy

Plot Summary: Gayus and the beautiful but cruel sword-wielder Gigina are "special equationists," individuals that manipulate the equations that govern world's laws thus allowing fantastic and deadly results. These two bounty hunters are caught up in a battle with dragons in the city of Eridana and in the intrigue of great nations.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

I haven't read the LN but it seems like the atmosphere of the show has a grim feel to it. The OP song is okay I guess, kinda generic though. I'm not sure I find the main characters interesting yet and the story feels all over the place at the moment. At least the production quality looks decent (I guess the time gap helped with it)

Anyways, I got mixed thoughts on the first episode so hope it will be better.

In the meantime, I feel like this first episode is setting up for rest of the season. At least the weapons so far looks neat in terms of their design.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Girlfriend? Am I really supposed to believe this bishounen with his incredible homoerotic tension with his mysterious scantily-clad partner and the name "Gayus" is straight?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:45 am Reply with quote
I am normally not too worried, and can have an easy time with something like this, but even I found myself groaning and declaring tis crap out of the gate. How it started off explaining things that really were not that important, was just the worst. There is such a thing as show don't tell, and this is exactly why. SO much talking that I did not care about. It had me completely uninterested.

Saving grace, that the main character has a girlfriend, which actually feels novel. But it has me fearing that she will probably die.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:32 pm Reply with quote
This show has a rough start and a rough ending, however everything in between was pretty good in my opinion.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Finale)

I am not nearly as positive. It was weighed down so much by worthless technobabble, and had its head up its own butt with awful characters, that I never could really get into it. Maybe it is bad to say that the show had me mentally checking out so much, as to give a fair review I should have to pay attention, but it was just so frustration to try and actively follow it. To make a point of how I found problems with the main characters,

I did not at all buy the beef it set up with them, that supposedly Gayus too could be financially troubled because Gigina would spend all their money. In what universe does that make sense? It is treated like some funny joke, but I imagine any real person would be beyond furious, stop allowing it to happen, and be able to legally extract what they deserve. The show kind of treated it along the lines of partner trouble in the relationship sense where he has to put up with it, but nothing in the show sold it as well as I think it thought. In general I am reminded of Chronos Ruler, where the supposed heroes can act like pieces of crap, but are just pushed into situations where they become, I think that it is an attempt to saying that it is not being black and white with morality, but in the end it just feels like it is fetishizing certain behaviours, and trying way too hard to act edgy.

Despite I guess saying quite a bit in the show, I don't think that it actually had anything new and interesting to say, at least enough to capture my interest enough out of boredom while watching. I give a rating of Weak (3/10). But I am sure it really was interesting to some people who can get into some of these things, it just was not for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1