• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sweet Blue Flowers [2-in-1 Edition] GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that this work was FINALLY released. I would've figured they would've released this before 'Wandering Son'. But then different publishers. But good to know it finally happened.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad I finally got to read this as a properly translated physical book. It was handled beautifully by Viz, and the deluxe treatment they did was a wonderful surprise.
Sloppy_Jimbo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Aoi Hana is my YOAT. I have been in suspended yurimation for several years and am so ready to see Fumi and A-chan as a couple. Now if we can just get Bloom Into You animated my life will be complete.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Sloppy_Jimbo wrote:
Now if we can just get Bloom Into You animated my life will be complete.

I'm totally with you there (especially after just recently reading Vol. 3).
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:56 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Sloppy_Jimbo wrote:
Now if we can just get Bloom Into You animated my life will be complete.

I'm totally with you there (especially after just recently reading Vol. 3).

I'll join on that bandwagon myself. I am finding Bloom Into You to be the most all around enjoyable yuri manga for me recently. Definitely since Whispered Words and the classic Girlfriends before that. NTR and Citrus are bit more forceful than I care for. It's fine if you like it, but for me Bloom Into You is more my flavor. I do like the fact that Sweet Blue Flowers apparently handles the romance with a bit more realistic approach and doesn't ignore the outside judgments and influences that might affect a yuri couple. Just got my own copy in the mail Wednesday but have yet to crack it open yet. I really like the actual layout. I like the larger size and really appreciate the more durable cover. Plus the inside color images are very pretty with their watercolor palette.
katscradle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I feel like Sweet Blue Flowers is a bit more modern in the GL genre. I've always remembered it fondly because I liked it despite having some aspects I normally might not care too much about. Since it’s been so long since the series first came out I wonder if it feels a little quaint after many other titles coming out.

Still I love Sweet Blue Flowers so I’m very happy VIZ decided to license it after all this time. The previous DMG eBook was not good. (I don’t think DMI have the license for any of Shimura’s work anymore since they had released a few titles.) I’m not halfway through the omnibus yet. Though, I do have to say the VIZ edition has so far maybe not met my (too?) high expectations. Some of the word choice or phrasing makes me feel like someone working on it wasn’t connecting all the dots. Akira’s nickname is completely omitted. I think I noticed at least one translation flub too. That is not to say it’s awful by any means, and anyone who is interested in the series or Shimura’s work should definitely buy VIZ’s edition. It’s just since it’s released under the Signature line I expected top quality in all respects. Just mirroring the Japanese books in trim size and colour artwork, though nice to see, is only the trappings.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:35 am Reply with quote
One of those series which will always have a special place and this is a very welcome English edition.

Perhaps also interesting to note here as well that there are / will be all sorts of retrospectives -publications and modestly scaled events- for a milestone in Takako Shimura's -ongoing- career.

In Japanese:
http://webcomic.ohtabooks.com/aoihana/

Retrospective related sites / events / publications
http://www.ohtabooks.com/press/2017/09/01190105.html
http://shimuratakako.gengaten.com
http://www.seidosha.co.jp/book/index.php?id=3091
https://www.sogo-seibu.jp/ikebukuro/kakutensublist/?article_seq=249191

st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:38 am Reply with quote
I'll need to get this one to sit next to my forever incomplete release of Wandering Son, since it seems Fantagraphics have abandoned it...
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty excited for this, it seemed like it was never going to get a real release over here. I have TRSI/Nozomi's DVD and would have loved to see more animated. I'm just trying to decide if I want this physically or digital on comixology. Between Anime, Manga, regular books and CDs space is starting to get limited... Smile

Psycho 101 wrote:
I'll join on that bandwagon myself. I am finding Bloom Into You to be the most all around enjoyable yuri manga for me recently. Definitely since Whispered Words and the classic Girlfriends before that. NTR and Citrus are bit more forceful than I care for.
Is Citrus forceful? I only read a little bit and it doesn't seem to be at NTR's level. Funny enough NTR to me was not at the same level as the anime shorts they did which seemed to be only interested in being salacious.

st_owly wrote:
I'll need to get this one to sit next to my forever incomplete release of Wandering Son, since it seems Fantagraphics have abandoned it...
I read someone's post awhile back that they emailed them and the reply was they hadn't been able to fit more into their production schedule? I think that means they haven't had the money yet to do it and its not surprising since they went an expensive route with the series. They are a small company and if bigger ones like Dark Horse can take a long time in releasing manga or reprints than I imagine Fantagraphics might be worse. I hope that they haven't abandoned it and can release more soon...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1