• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Code:Realize -Guardian of Rebirth-

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lebrel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca wrote:
However, the second episode does appear to set up the chief romantic rivalry between Lupin and van Helsing for Cardia's affections, so there's that.

Bah. Unless there's Dramatic Plot Developments incoming, Dr Frankenstein is the obvious Best Guy; he's a sweetie and totally adorable. (Therefore, he is guaranteed to not be the one she ends up with...)

Rebecca wrote:
as well as a nice distraction from the fact that everyone acts like Cardia's dress isn't missing the entire front panel of its skirt, which makes Lupin's embarrassment when she rucks it up to run seem weird.

Word. That moment was so bizzare it almost works as a joke...
futuresoon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
As someone who's played the game, I can certify that Fran is best boy. It seems like the show is going for Lupin, though, given some stuff in the OP. Ah well. That's the trouble with adapting dating sims and otome games; it isn't possible to do everybody. Even if it is sticking to one route, though, it's gonna have a hard time cramming everything in. It's already condensed a lot. I wonder if it'll stay accessible to people who don't already know everything from the game.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:38 am Reply with quote
I dunno, Lupin, I'd say her best pick-up line is her willingness to show off her chest of jewels to anyone who asks.
Navigatoria

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
It's not really that important but I thought I'd mention that it was actually Van's mother and brother who were killed and not his wife and child. The circumstances of their death is spoiler[not quite how it seems on the surface and is important later on in his route in the game,] although I'm not sure how far they will get into it in this adaption since everything's been shortened quite a bit.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Back when I played the game (no real spoilers here, don't worry) I first assumed Cardia was the standard bland visual novel protagonist. I'd played Amnesia: Memories right beforehand and the protagonist of that is dense on the order of a black hole and barely has a personality. So when Cardia seemed really out of it and didn't know anything, I assumed she would follow that pattern. Except she didn't. She has a really good reason to not know anything, she tries to learn as much as possible, asks smart questions, starts figuring out what's going on, sometimes without help from the other characters and so on.

The anime doesn't have nearly as much time to work with as the game, but it's good that she's following the pattern established by the game. Hopefully they'll be able to keep it up.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I've been enjoying the show quite a bit. I'm glad it's turning into more of a Kamigami type story than an Amnesia one. I am also generally into all the characters, for the most part, although Impey falls into the category of character that I like the least. He's just a little too much for me. I could also give or take Finnis right now, although he gets points for being voiced by Kaji. (Sorry Morikubo.)

I'm excited to see how much Cardia will grow by the end of the series. And I'm ngl, I would totally wear her ridiculous skirt outfit on a normal basis if I had access to it. The style is totally my jam.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I also wondered if Aleister was Crowley.

Actually I do like how Cardia's role is getting to be much more of a partner in crime than just the standard vacuous protagonist. The way she shoves one of the beaked henchmen off the train roof is quite splendid, and I hope her character develops further in her own right.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The artists didn't forget though – look at his hand in the post-credits image.

Is that a future rendering? He didn't touch her in this episode. Sisi, on the other hand, is cutting it pretty fine, unless hair is safe and fur doesn't melt.
senbonzakura

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
It makes sense if the anime is going for Lupin. After all, Lupin is the True End. spoiler[Cardia gets cured of her poison in Lupin's route so it's good to go to that direction.] I like how they are relating the back stories of each guy just so we are not missing out on how great their characters are. This is the first otome game where I enjoyed all of the characters.

Quote:
As someone who's played the game, I can certify that Fran is best boy.

I agree! Fran is really best boy!

I hope watchers do not nitpick much on the historical or literal accuracy of the game. Queen Victoria is not meant to be The Queen Victoria and same with all the characters who are named after the literary figures.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I felt really good about episode 6, because it did feel like Cardia has started to come into her own character, that she was taking role as second in command of the ship and all. And it might be interesting seeing how she reacts to what she found out about herself, which may even go a way of justifying some of her character.

Also, I found the whole bit with Van Helsing and the canon to be pretty funny.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Shinomiya Go voiced Nemo in this episode! Although for a moment I could've sworn it was Sugita because he does some pretty insane voices from time to time.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I would imagine her tears are as destructive as her skin and blood, so it's kind of nerve-wracking when she keeps crying her eyes out around everyone.
aquapainter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That's probably just a bluff though, because we've seen hundreds of Cardias incubating in tubes. Killing this one won't do a whole lot to stop her father and may in fact help him, because the newer Cardias won't have present Cardia's knowledge and attachment to Lupin, Fran, Van, and Impey, plus it will be that much easier for interested parties to make off with the Horologium if it isn't attached to her living body. So unless Idea is secretly committed to helping Isaac Beckford, Saint killing off the present Cardia doesn't make much sense.

This is something that the game actually addressed by this point, but the anime for some reason has glossed over, but I'm gonna mark it under a spoiler just to be safe.

spoiler[In the game, all the Cardias in tubes are actually failed experiments - they don't have a working Horologium. Cardia is the 666th attempt at creating a homunculous like her, and the only success. Even though in the anime the tube Cardias all looked pretty normal, the game they're described as incredibly deformed, with multiple limbs, one with scales, etc. So at least within the game's universe, grabbing a new Cardia from a tube isn't the greatest option probably unless Finis & co are willing to spend the time and effort it'd take to perfect a new one again. Dunno if the Horologium actually does need to be attached to her living body though, it's been long enough that I'm not sure if that possibility was ever explained. I'd have to replay and double check if that's addressed, but that is an interesting thought.]

In any case, I am glad to see the anime's doing at least decent? I really love Code: Realize as a visual novel, and while I feel like the adaptation has glossed over a lot (particularly in regards to Cardia - she's decent in the anime, and while I understand the decision to remove most of her inner dialogue, it does lose parts of her character when she's already a quiet person) it's still doing better than a lot of other otome adaptations I've seen. I actually am a Lupin fan and think going with his route was the right idea to keep the plot focused, so here's hoping they just stick the landing over the next few episodes.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:08 am Reply with quote
Thanks, aquapainter, that makes a lot more sense! Once the show is finished I'm going to borrow my sister's PSVita and the game and play it through. I can definitely tell we're missing stuff.
aquapainter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Thanks, aquapainter, that makes a lot more sense! Once the show is finished I'm going to borrow my sister's PSVita and the game and play it through. I can definitely tell we're missing stuff.

No problem!! I would definitely say that anyone who's enjoying the anime should give the game a shot. The anime definitely isn't bad but I've kind of taken to calling it a "cliff-notes" version of the plot - we're getting the important stuff and it still definitely works well to gain an understanding of the plot and characters, but of course a 12 or so episode show isn't going to have the same amount of time as a 30-ish hour visual novel to develop every little detail of the characters and worldbuilding. They've mostly cut some more fluffy character-building scenes/arcs, though there are a couple of plot threads/pieces of foreshadowing that must've had to been cut like the homunculous details that maybe still could've helped to be in there.

Honestly, I think if it's good enough that people who are unfamiliar with the franchise can still enjoy it and even want to try picking up the game, I think that's really awesome!! And I definitely hope you enjoy the game when you get a chance to play it!!

If it is seen as helpful though, then now that I'm actually using my ANN account maybe I'll drop in some game details into this thread once in a while if I feel like it might be good to help explain still-existing character behavior like it kind of does for Germain and Idea in this case, haha.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2