• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Super Mario Odyssey

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SailorPluto1313

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:08 am Reply with quote
Thanks for all of your hard work! I really enjoyed reading the columns! Very Happy
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:15 am Reply with quote
Already? But you barely started man! Damn, that's a shame, and I always looked forward to reading your gaming thoughts. It was a great ride with you, short though it was. Will there be a new column writer or is this it for gaming articles here?

Super Mario Odyssey: After watching a friend upload his playthrough daily on YouTube so far, I have to say this is quite the title. Everything about this game is absolutely amazing and New Donk City is definitely the impressive locale the trailers teased so much. You really can't go wrong with Mario's latest title. Now the big question will be, "Is Luigi secretly playable?" XD

Summon Night 6: The good news is the game is out. The bad news is the dub is still awkward and stilted just like in the first trailer. I was really hoping they'd have gotten that sorted out before shipping out the game, but I guess I was grasping at straws. I'm still going to enjoy the game once it arrives, as well as get to know the many SN heroes that we never got to know originally. And who knows: maybe the the other yet unseen characters will sound better.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:57 am Reply with quote
This won´t mean the column is eliminated from the site, is it? Please, let this column here
klv
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:21 am Reply with quote
You have been lovely! On to other things!
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:02 pm Reply with quote
From the details of Mario's hair to the skyscrapers of New Donk City, the graphics of Super Mario Odyssey are a marvelous sight! Smile
No Comment

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all the columns and good times. As someone who doesn't care about video game news enough to go to an actual video game site, but still wants to know any relevant happenings in the video game world, this column always hit the spot. Best of luck in wherever life takes you
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Like some of the others say, does that mean the column won't continue anymore by another person?

If so...farewell/RIP "X-Button" and/or "This Week in Games"! ;-;7

But at least it had a wild ride. Unless someone else takes the mantle.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Amid all the questionable violence of Sony's Paris Games Week presentation,

Personally don't really get this criticism which I've see reported on especially when it comes to the God Of War and Last Of Us games that are known for their violence.

Quote:
at least we could all agree that it's still cool to stab colossi in the head.

I honestly wouldn't know as this was one of the deal breakers that led to me avoiding the game, doing nothing but tracking, climbing on, and killing Colossi is something that pretty much looks like it would get dull made even worse with a story that's a bit to minimalist.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the Shadow of the Colossus trailer: That's the sort of CGI animation that seems to be lacking when anime actually tries to do 3-D CGI. It's weird. Japanese video games nail it down very well, but the anime industry has a lot of problems with it. Is it budget-related? (Would've liked to see some actual gameplay footage though. Seeing Wander and Agro travel about with nothing happening tested my patience. Samurai Jack had long stretches of nothing happening but Jack traveling through the land too, but you're given context that makes it more interesting.)

belvadeer wrote:
Super Mario Odyssey: After watching a friend upload his playthrough daily on YouTube so far, I have to say this is quite the title. Everything about this game is absolutely amazing and New Donk City is definitely the impressive locale the trailers teased so much. You really can't go wrong with Mario's latest title. Now the big question will be, "Is Luigi secretly playable?" Anime hyper

Remember that plaque in spoiler[Super Mario 64, in Peach's Castle's courtyard, that people thought says "L is real 2046" or some other four-digit number? No one's been able to play as Luigi yet, but that plaque is in this game, exactly the same as it was about twenty years ago.]
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Hmmmmm...I find it difficult to believe anyone could forget the denouement from SotC.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Remember that plaque in spoiler[Super Mario 64, in Peach's Castle's courtyard, that people thought says "L is real 2046" or some other four-digit number? No one's been able to play as Luigi yet, but that plaque is in this game, exactly the same as it was about twenty years ago.]

Really? They repeated that?

To quote a line from Mario, "Come on!"
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:07 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Really? They repeated that?

To quote a line from Mario, "Come on!"

Yeah, they repeated that. They also repeated spoiler[Peach's Castle from Super Mario 64 and the surrounding grassy area, though only that courtyard with the fountain uses the Nintendo 64 style graphics. Everything else has been redone to look up to date with modern graphics, and the grassy area is vastly expanded. Also, the castle interior is restricted to the first floor chamber with no connecting rooms, though there are now outlying towers with portal paintings.]
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:15 pm Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
Like some of the others say, does that mean the column won't continue anymore by another person?

If so...farewell/RIP "X-Button" and/or "This Week in Games"! ;-;7

But at least it had a wild ride. Unless someone else takes the mantle.

ANN was just accepting applications for a games writer within the past month or so. Looks like it was for Dustin's replacement. Still, Dustin's column was a fine replacement for The X Button, so vaya con dios & may good things continue to come to you, Dustin.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I should've said this earlier, but ANN will never be the same with This Week In Games going away, particularly so early. I wish Dustin best of luck with his future plans.
jtron

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:51 am Reply with quote
Thanks for your hard work! I enjoyed reading your column every week.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2