• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks' Angel Beats Release Goes Out of Print

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Good thing I already have the Blu-ray, then.
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:34 pm Reply with quote
.....Aniplex, if they rerelease Angel beats one day it's going to be super expensive, good thing Sentai gave us a discount code
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
So, either Aniplex already told them no license renewal, or Sentai knows it's coming and isn't going to spend more money on discs.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:11 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
.....Aniplex, if they rerelease Angel beats one day it's going to be super expensive, good thing Sentai gave us a discount code

I laughed when I read this because it's base price is already expensive for 15 episodes (70 dollars, sold at 45...should be like 25 with the length it is). I remember those days too...pre-Aniplex everyone gave Sentai crap for being so expensive. Then Aniplex came and made Sentai look good.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
So, either Aniplex already told them no license renewal, or Sentai knows it's coming and isn't going to spend more money on discs.

I am surprised you forgot option C! Funimation is now on a position to ask the parent company for all anime licences that Aniplex is not making a profit of. So don't be surprised if this and other titles appear on funi's S.A.V.E. line of boxsets.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

I am surprised you forgot option C! Funimation is now on a position to ask the parent company for all anime licences that Aniplex is not making a profit of. So don't be surprised if this and other titles appear on funi's S.A.V.E. line of boxsets.

Sony Pictures Television = / = Sony Music Entertainment Japan/Aniplex

Important distinction. Otherwise, Bandai Entertainment could've done the same with a ton of releases that other companies released but they didn't because you still need to go through the traditional licensing process, etc.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

Important distinction. Otherwise, Bandai Entertainment could've done the same with a ton of releases that other companies released but they didn't because you still need to go through the traditional licensing process, etc.

Damn... beat me to it
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:

IMO what Bandai Visual USA inc. lacked back was a positive cash flow, rest in pieces; meanwhile Funimation has the money and with the is now inside the corporation. Also, now there will be a tug of war of who eats who, since Aniplex and Funimation have a duplicity of functions in the USA, like in highlander, eventually "There can only be one", it happens after any merger.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Well many knew this was coming all year long. Its also been on quite a few Sentai sales, I payed $21.99 a few months ago. If you use the coupon code FAREWELL at checkout for this sale it drops it to $18.40.

Last edited by One-Eye on Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I laughed when I read this because it's base price is already expensive for 15 episodes (70 dollars, sold at 45...should be like 25 with the length it is).

When Angel Beats first came out, sure, but these days, it's really hard to imagine any US studio other than Funimation putting out a dubbed '10s show on Bluray for 25 bucks a coeur (although coincidentally, I'm pretty sure I ended up snagging Angel Beats for about $25 during one of Rightstuf's Holiday Sales).
WeepingOshino

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
theNightster wrote:

I laughed when I read this because it's base price is already expensive for 15 episodes (70 dollars, sold at 45...should be like 25 with the length it is). I remember those days too...pre-Aniplex everyone gave Sentai crap for being so expensive. Then Aniplex came and made Sentai look good.

If you use the discount code, it's $25.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:19 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Well many knew this was coming all year long. Its also been on quite a few Sentai sales, I payed $21.99 a few months ago. If you use the coupon code FAREWELL at checkout for this sale it drops it to $18.40.

I just ordered Angel Beats! based on this info. Thank you. Smile
Zaig

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
One-Eye wrote:

I just ordered Angel Beats! based on this info. Thank you. Smile

Same! Thanks!
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
The old list of future Aniplex reclamations floating around the internet actually had this license expiring back in August, so I guess they were a few months off. Fortunately, this was a series I bought on BD a couple of years ago, so no worries here.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
IMO what Bandai Visual USA inc. lacked back was a positive cash flow, rest in pieces;

Wrong Bandai, BVUSA was the one who was charging the same prices Aniplex does now but for titles very few cared about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2