• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Politician Apologizes for Saying Anime Contributes to Crime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:49 pm Reply with quote
There now, you see what happens when we say "I'm sorry". We feel a little better, don't we?
青白

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Boom! Checkmate!
Afezeria

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:45 pm Reply with quote
At least this guy has the guts to say sorry and pulled his statement back unlike others out there that still believe anything fictional is immediately related to real life crimes and people were driven by those fictions.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Thank goodness he withdrew his comment. Otherwise we'd have had a Japanese Joe Lieberman on our hands.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Good for him to retract his statements, unlike a certain japanese politician whose name I don't remember, something about wanting to stop the sale of hentai doujins (especially characters depicting as underage) in the stores.
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Glad he apologized. It's a stupid "slip-up" that just hasn't held up over the decades.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:56 am Reply with quote
Akari Suda (17) from Fukushima had dreamed of becoming a mangaka.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
I'm absolutely happy that he finally came to his senses. Smile The claim of anime and gaming being a "contributor to crime" simply has no evidence whatsoever to make it stand.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Oh, he apologized because he's an anime and manga fan himself. What a twist! At least he did a respectable thing by taking back his previous comments and apologizing in his livestream.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
Oh, he apologized because he's an anime and manga fan himself. What a twist! At least he did a respectable thing by taking back his previous comments and apologizing in his livestream.

Yeah, he "loves" it now that he's realizing he's trying to spoil the government's world-commerce pro-anime/tea push, and putting his political rise in jeopardy:
Quote:
Yamamoto described anime as "one of the greatest assets of 'Cool Japan' that Japan boasts of" and said he regrets implying that anime has a negative influence on people's actions. He then reiterated his apology to members of the anime industry, anime fans, and people in charge of the government's "Cool Japan" program. He added that he thinks of himself as one of the leading manga and anime fans in Japan's political world, and he was particularly frustrated with his mistake because he loves manga and anime.

...No, really, he loves it, he loves it! Anime smile + sweatdrop

As for
Quote:
He called for online surveillance to prevent related crimes before they happen.
another poster already pointed out how Psycho-Pass has a negative influence on politicians who might think what they see is real and try to imitate it in real life.
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
he obviously got a slap on the wrist by a government body and was told to apologize immediately. you can't interfere with the "cool japan" initiative now can you? most certainly not.

i believe that any form of media -- be it anime, video games, live action movies or even the news -- have the potential to influence or manipulate unstable individuals to some degree. at the very least they can plant an idea in someone's head and that can fester into a real world event. i am talking about a tiny subsect of the population here -- less than 1% of the world -- that may have such psychopathic tendencies and just need a small spark to act out.

i believe yamamoto may have been suggesting something similar and in fact was referring to a specific anime production that shared similarities to a real world case. of course, there is no way to explain yourself when anime fans are always ready to pounce the moment anything negative is ever said about their medium. to be clear, i am not saying only anime has the potential to plant a bad idea in someone's mind; i am saying in this particular example, one particular anime shared some similarities to a real world crime and that is why anime was used in the reference.
MrSatyre

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I was all prepared to commit anime crimes, and now I can't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1