• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf: Fusé: Memoirs of a Huntress Anime Film Goes Out of Print

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:13 am Reply with quote
Less than 4 years...wow. Must've not done very well
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:43 am Reply with quote
You should basically consider all NISA titles out of print now. I got this when NISA was still in the anime business, and it has a very nice premium hardcover artbook. Rightstuff is selling it for $12.50 which is a steal if you got one before it sold out.

t makes me wonder if someone else will eventually rescue the license for all the NISA releases. Aniplex got Anohana from NISA but Umineko is also out of print and no one has relicensed that yet along with other titles.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:26 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
You should basically consider all NISA titles out of print now. I got this when NISA was still in the anime business, and it has a very nice premium hardcover artbook. Rightstuff is selling it for $12.50 which is a steal if you got one before it sold out.

t makes me wonder if someone else will eventually rescue the license for all the NISA releases. Aniplex got Anohana from NISA but Umineko is also out of print and no one has relicensed that yet along with other titles.

Id wager that Funimation will at least consider a license rescue.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:43 am Reply with quote
I'll be honest...

There's not a lot of things I'd seriously get from either NISA or Aniplex.
They do themselves no favors with some of their practices.
I actually see a lot more from Sentai/Section 23 that interests me but they tend to be pricier and you really have to watch for the sales on their shows online... Other than FYE, there's no brick-and-mortar store really carrying Sentai titles.
I think everybody agrees Aniplex overprices a lot of their licenses; NISA might have some nice things but a lot of their shows are ultra-quirky, very niche, and the lack of English dubs on 85% of these licenses doesn't help their sales, either...
It would not surprise me at all if a number of the Japanese companies attempting to sell direct-to-the-US (NISA, Pony Canyon; I think Aniplex will tough it out longer) shut down their anime operations. That's happened with all the other companies that tried this before. They just don't seem to understand the US market or know how to market in the States...

Then again, if your company name isn't Funimation or Viz chances are your titles will NEVER show up in a brick-and-mortar store unless they're a Ghibli movie. The Ghibli license rescues (GKids/Shout Factory releases) are showing up in mall stores. FYE and Barnes & Noble are carrying them.

Oh, and Fusé: Memoirs of a Huntress is sold out at RightStuf.com...
I guess people couldn't resist the $12.50 price-point but even I wouldn't get something just because it's cheap.
It has to interest me. I'm way past buying most things on speculation.
This title didn't interest me.
There's a lot more being released over the next year that does interest me. The last 2-3 years of anime features have been arguably better than the TV shows on average, IMHO.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:17 pm Reply with quote
For the longest time, I kept putting off buying this because I was waiting for NISA to release a standard edition (was never a fan of those giant cases). I finally bought it a little over a year ago during a NISA sale.

It's a shame this movie didn't do well since I thought it was a really enjoyable. I still think it would have worked better as a one cour series to flesh out some of the ideas better.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
You should basically consider all NISA titles out of print now.

Too early to say for Cardcaptor Sakura and Love Live (especially when the former's Regular Edition came out back in July) but it's true that those holding off on buying NISA titles should get them sooner than later.

Quote:
It makes me wonder if someone else will eventually rescue the license for all the NISA releases. Aniplex got Anohana from NISA but Umineko is also out of print and no one has relicensed that yet along with other titles.

Hard to say if Sentai will ever rescue Umineko considering they have yet to get Higurashi Kira and is releasing a complete collection for the first 3 main Higurashi seasons with little to no changes (except hopefully Kai's discs to fix the framerate problems on episodes 10 & 16).
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:

Id wager that Funimation will at least consider a license rescue.

I don't know how you came to that conclusion. I even saw someone suggest this will get a dub and a reprint.... Confused NISAs tiny print run of this film took nearly 4 YEARS! to go out of print. It's a small time, unknown indie anime film. Sorry, but no one who doesn't regularly visit ANN or isn't a hardcore collector of NISA sets even knows this thing exists. If anyone ever wants to have this in their collection, you better get it now. I don't think it'll ever see the light of day through another physical release in the West.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Shame it is a good film. The problem is that it is not from a well known IP, ie from a popular TV show, and it is not helmed by a critically acclaimed director.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:12 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
You should basically consider all NISA titles out of print now.

Well crap, the Premium editions of Natsume Yuujinchou and Uchouten Kazoku that I wanted are sold out...I was waiting to buy them because I never had the money Crying or Very sad
There's no chance of them replenishing the stock? What is going to happen with the next couple seasons of Natsume Yuujinchou that haven't been released?
Melicans

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:09 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame that NISA are basically out of the anime business. They were my favourite distributor, and picked up a lot of titles that we otherwise wouldn't have been able to get over here. I hope they come back one day.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I bought all the premiums they put out, it was good stuff.
Well Persona Trinity Soul....
Ok, mostly good stuff.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:24 am Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
It's a shame that NISA are basically out of the anime business. They were my favourite distributor, and picked up a lot of titles that we otherwise wouldn't have been able to get over here. I hope they come back one day.

Anime was always a side business for them. Once the going got tough with larger players in the space they got going.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:36 am Reply with quote
Hmm, well...I think it's time I buy Hanasaku Iroha...
russ869

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
A fantastic film that no one seems to have heard of. Also, it surprises me that one of the marks against it listed in the ANN review is that "character designs are not pretty." That's one of the best things about the movie. I'm getting so sick of so many 2010s decade shows having the same super-pretty character designs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1