• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Companies May Join Odex's Case in Singapore

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Now this is an interesting development. It's going to be interesting to see how this will eventually play out.
kurotsuki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I think it's safe to say Singapore is Doomed ...forever.
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:34 pm Reply with quote
kurotsuki wrote:

Noooo, Singapore is nice~

However, if you're talking about the availability of fansubs decreasing and thus hurting the industry or something, there... kind of is a difference between Singapore and, say, North America-- Singapore actually HAS ANIME ON TV. Not a huge amount more, and not many playing at the same time as the Japanese, but the wait time is a bit shorter, there are some titles shown in Japanese audio, and there's definitely more.

Also, as idiotic and asshatted and just plain unethical as Odex is, it IS trying to get titles to play simultaneously in S'pore as Japan, which is leaps and bounds above what anyone on our side of the pond is attempting.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:02 pm Reply with quote
kurotsuki wrote:
If you mean doomed for DLing fansubs, yeah you could be right, but for me it's just good to see the Japanese start taking an active roll with this. It certainly clears that judge's objection, and a clever move on his part if that was his intention. If this sets a precedent, where next, NA? Wink
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
kurotsuki wrote:
If you mean doomed for DLing fansubs, yeah you could be right, but for me it's just good to see the Japanese start taking an active roll with this. It certainly clears that judge's objection, and a clever move on his part if that was his intention. If this sets a precedent, where next, NA? Wink

NA courts tend to be strongly against following international precedents.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:41 pm Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
kurotsuki wrote:

Not if big corporate lawyers have a big enough case that is equal to the offence in question that set the precedent, and international copyright violations are activily persued here in the UK, are they not in NA then?
kokuryu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Even if the Japanese companies join on board, they still cannot get the information because the copyright holders are not from Singapore and thus have zero claim to personal information about Singapore's own citizens.

If however some Japanese companies are willing to move their businesses totally to Singapore, this may change. But I doubt that will EVER happen.

Oh, and by the way, they "Copyright Holders" are the originators of the characters and series - not the representative companies - so, for example, Monkey Punch himself would have to go to Singapore to personally defend his copyrighted work rights.
calawain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
rankothefiremage wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
kurotsuki wrote:

Not if big corporate lawyers have a big enough case that is equal to the offence in question that set the precedent, and international copyright violations are activily persued here in the UK, are they not in NA then?

I'll repeat rankothefiremage's comment here, US judges care little for international precedence. I have read hundreds of cases and maybe 3 or 4 used significant law from other nations (with the exception of old English common law because that's where our system comes from) as a primary justification for their opinions. And out of those 2 of them are widely ignored by every other circuit.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote
But if Odex stops all fansub downloading in Singapore, where are they going to get their subtitles for series like Haruhi?
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
But if Odex stops all fansub downloading in Singapore, where are they going to get their subtitles for series like Haruhi?

rather good point, guess they'll just go on someone else's net and pull them there.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
child of Lilith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Odex will probably go back to making their own worthless subs, after all with no fan subs available people will have no choice but to buy Odex’s inferior product.
kureshii

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:21 pm Reply with quote
So... even if they are successful and manage to get the pants sued off everyone and anyone... what then? What is Odex's game plan? I still don't get it. Do they really hope that when the dust clears they will still have enough buyers to keep them in business?

And I certainly hope they're not naive enough to hope they can stop filesharing completely; it'll just get moved underground. And the moment they let up on their efforts it will proliferate again, like wild grass.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Really Japan? You want to get on board with that sinking ship?
hikura

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:35 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Really Japan? You want to get on board with that sinking ship?

It is a start.Japan and it's other major markets need to start getting on board to stop pirating.It is taking to big of chunk out it's business not to get on board would mean more severe downturn in business.
Yes if odex is that bad the orginial company holding the rights to the product should see that when it's product is released outside of it's borders(anime from japan being released in another country as an example) it is of a decent quality.Not just a shody release.They should improve the quality.
quartears

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:51 pm Reply with quote
It really got to this point. Wow, I thought Odex would just die out. Damn you Odex! I think I would rather just suffer and not watch anime than deal with those guys.

This is a really unexpected turn of events. It would be funny if it turned out the judges or politicians were caught downloading fansubs. I would laugh. Not too surprising, but I would still laugh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3