• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Junji Ito 'Collection' Anime Listed With 12 TV Episodes, 2 OVA Episodes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danpmss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
Looks really promising, I'm looking forward to whatever tale they might want to adapt from that collection.

Tomie in 2 episodes though...
I hope these are long episodes, otherwise I don't see it working properly.
Koda89

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Are you freaking kidding me?!

Part of the reason I was so hyped for this was the prospect of animated Tomie and her episodes are the damn OVAs?! Crying or Very sad

Just gotta hope CR works their recent OVA magic and got these episodes too.....
omnistry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:

Part of the reason I was so hyped for this was the prospect of animated Tomie and her episodes are the damn OVAs?! Crying or Very sad

If you ever read Tomie, you’d know that story is too f***ed up for TV.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see the Souichi stuff getting animated. Still not a fan of who's doing this, though.
Koda89

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Koda89 wrote:

If you ever read Tomie, you’d know that story is too f***ed up for TV.

To be fair...Junji Ito’s work in general is too messed up for TV. >_>
DarthSomebody

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Looks really promising, I'm looking forward to whatever tale they might want to adapt from that collection.

What's wrong with Tomie in 2 episodes? Tomie is episodic and most Tomie stories are unrelated, so they can just choose 2 Tomie stories and animate them.
danpmss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh noes...

I just noticed Hozumi Gōda is the sound director. This could either be great (the execution of Higurashi's twisted, melancholic and involving OST in the anime as a whole and the amazing use of ambiance and just right sound effects) or freaking terrible (Umineko anime as a whole and the mess he did even with such an spectacular OST to work with, including completely ruining the mood in many important scenes, even shifting the whole atmosphere in others, by not following the already great sound direction of the own visual novel except in some specific moments (an certain beloved battle in EP3), not to mention not even using much of the fantastic selection the work had, opting to get rather repetitive with some of Deen's original tracks instead... And don't get me wrong, every single remix and track from the new selection was great, and not only he didn't used the very best one of the whole thing (other than in an Episode's preview of all things) in the anime, he kept using even those poorly while overusing many tracks to death instead of varying as he very well could, much like the original work did impeccably).

In the end, it doesn't even depend if the OST is great, or if the anime per se sucks for being rushed or not (Higurashi and Umineko; a great retelling in a different medium with a enormously different approach that somehow worked wonders, even if lacking so much in content VS an overall disastrous production in all fronts that weren't the OST or the great use of background lighting and big part of the scenery), so I hope for the best of his sound directing skills.
danpmss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote
DarthSomebody wrote:
danpmss wrote:

What's wrong with Tomie in 2 episodes? Tomie is episodic and most Tomie stories are unrelated, so they can just choose 2 Tomie stories and animate them.

Tomie would work better as a separate full adaptation, as said "unrelated" stories just work greatly together as a multi-scenario plot connected by a specific threat (much of an appeal that would later influence greatly the Ju-On series in a peculiar fashion, regarding most of the movies' storytelling as a whole).

Were they to adapt Tomie in this scenario, I would argue the better approach would be adapt all (or at least as many as they can) of the first and second manga collections in long OVAs separated by sections representing each chapter adapted (I would again mention Ju-On as to how this storytelling technique could work in the medium). If they go with only "Tomie" and "Tomie part 2" chapters specifically, I think it would fall flat of the big picture the other chapters create for the titled character's own little urban horror lore.
DarthSomebody

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Tomie would work better as a separate full adaptation, as said "unrelated" stories just work greatly together as a multi-scenario plot connected by a specific threat (much of an appeal that would later influence greatly the Ju-On series in a peculiar fashion, regarding most of the movies' storytelling as a whole).

Were they to adapt Tomie in this scenario, I would argue the better approach would be adapt all (or at least as many as they can) of the first and second manga collections in long OVAs separated by sections representing each chapter adapted (I would again mention Ju-On as to how this storytelling technique could work in the medium). If they go with only "Tomie" and "Tomie part 2" chapters specifically, I think it would fall flat of the big picture the other chapters create for the titled character's own little urban horror lore.

But we know the lore, don't we? The Tomie chapters can stand on its own for people who only watch the anime and they will be a little treat for the people who have read the manga and wanted to see Tomie animated.
Of course, Tomie would need its own series to get fully adapted into anime. 2 episodes in a short collection anime are more than enough, though. At least I want to see other things than Tomie in an anime that is not primarily about Tomie.
danpmss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:43 pm Reply with quote
DarthSomebody wrote:
danpmss wrote:

But we know the lore, don't we? The Tomie chapters can stand on its own for people who only watch the anime and they will be a little treat for the people who have read the manga and wanted to see Tomie animated.
Of course, Tomie would need its own series to get fully adapted into anime. 2 episodes in a short collection anime are more than enough, though. At least I want to see other things than Tomie in an anime that is not primarily about Tomie.

I don't really like this argument, to be honest. Precisely, WE know the lore. It's 'because' there are newcomers hoping for a proper adaptation of one of the most famous of Ito's work in anime form (most likely to jump into the manga reading depending of how pleasant was their experience with it) that I would say that it would be better to fully adapt Tomie (or at least most of it) in these 2 OVAs, if they are long enough (said newcomers would then want for more, which could lead to an increase on our rather cult fanbase, and maybe even increase the chances for more future anime adaptations if all this go well).

There's no reason to fall flat just because it's easier to please a fanbase who already know about the whole thing (that doesn't quite work anyway, the fanbase would be disappointed as well seeing one of their favorites not living up to what it could be in anime form, much like myself, although I'm still keeping my hopes up even with these 2 OVAs as we don't know how long they are).

Tomie in my opinion could easily be adapted in a nice and slow-burn pacing into a 1-cour anime (all of it, even the "Again" manga), but even 2 OVAs could do the job too, as long as they are long enough.

They are already putting Tomie into a separate thing anyway (the 2 OVAs are exclusively Tomie material), so I don't really know what are you worrying about, nobody said this anime would have any more Tomie than the already established OVAs focusing on it (reason why I would doubt there are any other Tomie chapters in the actual anime, but yeah, you still never know).
DarthSomebody

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
DarthSomebody wrote:
danpmss wrote:

I don't really like this argument, to be honest. Precisely, WE know the lore. It's 'because' there are newcomers hoping for a proper adaptation of one of the most famous of Ito's work in anime form (most likely to jump into the manga reading depending of how pleasant was their experience with it) that I would say that it would be better to fully adapt Tomie (or at least most of it) in these 2 OVAs, if they are long enough (said newcomers would then want for more, which could lead to an increase on our rather cult fanbase, and maybe even increase the chances for more future anime adaptations if all this go well).

There's no reason to fall flat just because it's easier to please a fanbase who already know about the whole thing (that doesn't quite work anyway, the fanbase would be disappointed as well seeing one of their favorites not living up to what it could be in anime form, much like myself, although I'm still keeping my hopes up even with these 2 OVAs as we don't know how long they are).

Tomie in my opinion could easily be adapted in a nice and slow-burn pacing into a 1-cour anime (all of it, even the "Again" manga), but even 2 OVAs could do the job too, as long as they are long enough.

They are already putting Tomie into a separate thing anyway (the 2 OVAs are exclusively Tomie material), so I don't really know what are you worrying about, nobody said this anime would have any more Tomie than the already established OVAs focusing on it (reason why I would doubt there are any other Tomie chapters in the actual anime, but yeah, you still never know).

I highly doubt that the OVAs will be longer than 24 minutes and I also highly doubt they would adapt the entire Tomie series in those OVAs. The OVAs are still part of the collection anime, just not aired on TV and therefore have a separate entry on MAL etc. It's an anime to show the variety of Junji Ito's work for his 30th anniversary. I don't see the point in adapting the entire Tomie manga in that collection, if all you want to show is "here, these are some of Junji Ito's works". Even if those OVAs are 90 minutes, they can't fit everything in there. I'd rather have 2 well paced Tomie stories and the possiblity of a complete Tomie anime in the future.
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Slightly disappointed that they're not revealing which stories will be in the main series, but I get it, and I'm sure it will be fun to be surprised. I'm glad they're definitely doing Fashion Model, though. That story really worked for me for whatever reason.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:27 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Nice to see the Souichi stuff getting animated. Still not a fan of who's doing this, though.

Who are you referring to? The director seems to be very passionate about the project and making sure it captures Ito's signature style and tone. Apparently she's been a fan since she was a teen. And Deen has been doing some pretty good work lately. I'm hopeful that this will turn out well and finally give us the first good "true" adaption of Ito's madness and brilliance.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:55 am Reply with quote
Dat cast. Hosoya is in this. Nice. Looking forward to the OVA's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1