• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The 2017 Year In Review

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Ninja Nonsense: I recall reading the old reviews here about how incredibly funny Ninja Nonsense is. I'm definitely adding this to my 2018 list.

Time Travel Girl: A shame this never got a dub, as I imagine hearing famous inventors from the U.S. and Europe speaking Japanese is quite a bit strange.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:06 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Time Travel Girl: A shame this never got a dub, as I imagine hearing famous inventors from the U.S. and Europe speaking Japanese is quite a bit strange.

Not really since it's pretty common in anime. Take the girls in Princess Principal, for instance, who are all speaking English (presumably even the Japanese girl, Chise), or something like Ikoku Meiro no Croisee where all the characters are speaking French. It just goes with territory of watching anime in the original language.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:11 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Ninja Nonsense: I recall reading the old reviews here about how incredibly funny Ninja Nonsense is. I'm definitely adding this to my 2018 list.

Please do. You won't be disappointed! Laughing
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:16 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Not really since it's pretty common in anime. Take the girls in Princess Principal, for instance, who are all speaking English (presumably even the Japanese girl, Chise), or something like Ikoku Meiro no Croisee where all the characters are speaking French. It just goes with territory of watching anime in the original language.

I know and I'm aware. It's just not for me, and I often find it to be a disconnect at times.

Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
Please do. You won't be disappointed!

Thanks for the recommendation. Already ordered. I'm so glad I saved all that extra money over the last few months. I'm going to splurge on lots of Blu-Rays this month. : D
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't typically watch romances, but My Love Story turned out to be enjoyable. I think that might have been largely because spoiler[it moves on pretty quickly from the "Will they confess their feelings?" question pretty fast, and gets into making their relationship actually work.]
Nodz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:32 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

Yeah, the weirdest was Ie Naki Ko (Remi), when they travel to England but everybody speaks the same language.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:35 am Reply with quote
The top physical 2017 release is Nichijou. Everything else was just, you know, second place. Pretty good deal for a "Well, that was done" sub only release in February. It didn't even rate a Shelf life because it is Nichijou. "It's an old show from more than six years ago. Who cares about it?"

Quite a number and still counting.

I do have about half these releases, if you count the older DVD of Fruits Basket, and the only ones I'd add that were covered by Shelf Life would be Gate's full BD release and the wonderful double genre work that is School Live.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1