• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: TV Show Highlights One Piece Creator's Home, Editor's Dedication

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Ah! Another episode of Mangaka Cribs. Interesting place Oda has, especially with the shark. lol

Quote:
He said having his phone with him at all times is extremely important in working with Oda. He may receive calls from the creator late at night while in bed or even during a date.

When the captain calls, you answer. Laughing
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:59 pm Reply with quote
While I commend the editor's dedication to his job, the lack of a work/life balance is kinda sad to me. I can't help but think about the reports about Japanese office workers who take their own lives because they literately have no life outside of their jobs.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Only the finest for the king of manga.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
The real question is has Oda crapped in the shark's mouth?
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote
If I were a mangaka, even if I had the cash, I wouldn't have an extravagant house...what's the point if I never have time to enjoy it? Then again, maybe Oda is so big and has enough editors that he has time to enjoy life.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:13 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
If I were a mangaka, even if I had the cash, I wouldn't have an extravagant house...what's the point if I never have time to enjoy it?

He takes breaks after every three weeks/chapters, and he occasionally holds parties in his "house", so he must have some time there.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:23 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
If I were a mangaka, even if I had the cash, I wouldn't have an extravagant house...what's the point if I never have time to enjoy it? Then again, maybe Oda is so big and has enough editors that he has time to enjoy life.

From what he's said before, he doesn't. He only sleeps about 3-4 hours a night, and never takes vacations beyond the occasional one week break. I even heard that Kishimoto once went to visit him in the hospital and found Oda working.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:11 am Reply with quote
The thing is, Oda's problem is that he's a workaholic. At this point, the fans and Shueisa feel like he should slack a little (just not Togashi or Miura level).
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:30 am Reply with quote
Not the first time we looked into Oda's home. People forget just a few months ago he had a party and invited the cast of the anime. But they sure didn't show the bathroom. Guess coming home from working on manga, you want to return to some craziness. Razz
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
CatSword wrote:

From what he's said before, he doesn't. He only sleeps about 3-4 hours a night, and never takes vacations beyond the occasional one week break. I even heard that Kishimoto once went to visit him in the hospital and found Oda working.

Wow, never heard that story before, though I knew they’re friends. Oda’s really just a nutcase; all of the people that work with him have called him a massive workaholic, yet somehow lives a happy life.

Oda is married with two children, so the house is probably for them. But I’d prefer to be like Kishimoto, who despite having a net worth of $20 million, has decided he prefers to spend time with his family in person.
Doomroar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:49 am Reply with quote
The crane and the bar are definitively for the end of the year parties he host for the staff, which is a lot of people, is the voice actors, his assistants, his editors, etc, etc.

That said, if he bought them at least halfway on his career then the investment already paid itself, he is an entertainer at heart, but i have always wondered since he is so addicted to work, if he spends those weeks with his family or he sneaks around working on research and marketing and all the other things he does with his editors like the Kabuki show and everything else, the fact that he is involved in most things and barely sleeps means that he definitively is neglecting some parts of his life, apart from his health which we all know already got him hospitalized once.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:05 am Reply with quote
Isn't the toilet from his studio though? At any case, it's so over-the-top to be hilarious and cool at the same time! Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1