• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Does Netflix's New Godzilla Live Up to the Hype?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whis-pur

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I didn't know there was hype around this movie. I kept forgetting about it and had no expectations so I was delighted and surprised by how much I loved its nihilistic tones.
0nsen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:28 pm Reply with quote
There is a new Godzilla? Didn't Anno just make one, like, last year? What?
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:55 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
There is a new Godzilla? Didn't Anno just make one, like, last year? What?

Toho's been on a Godzilla kick lately. Anno's Shin Godzilla was released in July 2016 and this film was released in November 2017 with its sequel planned to release in May of this year.

All three films were produced entirely by Toho.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:59 pm Reply with quote
After reading this, I really think I enjoyed myself too much.
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I went into this movie not expecting too much but instead enjoyed it immensely! I will admit the info dump at the beginning was a bit jarring.

I actually enjoy this completely different take on an old franchise. I actually found myself rooting for them to succeed!

I can't wait for next installment!

For this installment, I would give it a letter grade of B+
SamTheNayru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I was actually pretty hyped for this show. As a big fan Polygon's CGi, especially their action scenes, I was looking forward to their take on the Godzilla franchise.

Yes, the movie had a lot of technobabble and useless scenes, but it also had multiple interesting scenes and some lines with definitely some load behind them. I'm sure the future two films will elaborate on these, but it's sad that this film did feel like a "only the first part of three" film. It was the same with 2016's Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and 2012's The Hobbit.

I absolutely loved the last few minutes though. I saw that plot twist coming from miles away, but it was still breathtaking and goosebump-inducing.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I dropped it around the midpoint. Other than the premise, it was a pretty generic monster show.

Anno's version of Godzilla, on the other hand, is a satirical gem.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Whis-pur wrote:
Honestly I didn't know there was hype around this movie. I kept forgetting about it and had no expectations so I was delighted and surprised by how much I loved its nihilistic tones.

You don't remember any hype cause there really wasn't. I even remember quite a lot of people (myself included) being disappointed in the 15 sec trailer of it by just how awful it was put together.

I'll give the movie a shot before reading this article tho.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:35 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Whis-pur wrote:

You don't remember any hype cause there really wasn't. I even remember quite a lot of people (myself included) being disappointed in the 15 sec trailer of it by just how awful it was put together.
Tell me about it, it was like teeth had been pulled out. As far as the eye can see, nerds getting angry at each other. Blood was spilt and shit went down. People asked others if they were bribed for their compliments. It was worse than the teaser.

I still believe that the animation's problem is solely the cut frames.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I honestly enjoyed the Godzilla anime... admittedly that's mainly because the twitter reaction tempered my expectations but still.

I mean it was a few good scenes with too much technobabble between them, but they were good scenes.

I can't help but compare and contrast it with Shin Godzilla and Evangelion. Both Anno's stories and Urobuchi's have a ton of boardroom sequences and planning. But with Anno the stakes are established and it's a ticking clock. So it becomes a furious back and forth with plans and counter-plans. A high-speed chess game with a nigh-unstoppable enemy.

Some of the information battles in Attack on Titan work the same way.

By contrast Godzilla Monster Planet was trying to go for a more Apocalypse Now or the first act of Aliens route. Kind of a creeping dread of going further and further into alien territory, with pieces of Godzilla being slowly revealed. And that doesn't work with the exposition scenes. The more you technobabble about a monster the less mystery there is to drive tension. It doesn't become the unknown enemy at the end of the river, just a pile of facts. And instead of the reversals and surprises of the Evangelion structure we spend most of the run-time dryly going over a plan that we know will not work.

spoiler[But other then that I enjoyed alot of the setup. Eren Jager is prime Urobuchi-bait and it'll be fun to see the various ways he'll get Sayaka'd. Alien Makishima is also a fun character and I look forward to learning more of his doomday cult deal and the larger point that'll make. He has a fun dynamic as Haruo's enabler.

Also Leland was a fun character and I wished we got to see more of him. If the one movie theory was true he'd probably would've gotten more of an arc and died in the climax, he did have the best line in the movie though.]

Last edited by Doodleboy on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I saw this... prologue... and it's the least Godzilla thing I have an opinion on.

The most I can say about Godzilla: Somebody cobbled together an 8 minute video of all the Godzilla footage on Youtube and they were off by about 6. I was wondering why what I was watching didn't match what I heard.

spoiler["But no, it was a clone... or offspring... or cutting because it was a plant... is that why he became a plant, really?... of the real one, it counts as Godzilla"] No it doesn't. What the filmmakers said was Godzilla was Godzilla. If I have to accept Shin, the rest of you have to accept that.

Yes, that last bit was good but there's so much CG padding to get through that it's not really worth it. The best part of this one will be the start of the next one so this is the biggest waste of time imaginable.

One other thing I can say about it: My guesses about the space travel/time dialation/ warp travel/time loss were spot on but it came off even more convoluted then even I could imagine as they were short of supplies... for 20 years... then they jumped to Earth instantly and weren't short of supplies... and they were in orbit... but they couldn't stay in orbit... so they landed... they couldn't just stay in orbit in the first place because...

Urobuchi you say? Yeah, I can believe it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:13 pm Reply with quote
did they have to be so disrespectful to black clover at the beginning
i mean seriously why put that their it has nothing to do with this and it came off as just mean spirited for no good reason and make you guys look bad
seriously stop it
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:30 am Reply with quote
#878863 wrote:
did they have to be so disrespectful to black clover at the beginning
i mean seriously why put that their it has nothing to do with this and it came off as just mean spirited for no good reason and make you guys look bad
seriously stop it

Its a joke. Don't take it so seriously.

Jesus & don't double post to post such an inane comment twice.

Funny how this CG animation seems to be Japan's best well aside from Land of the Lustrous which from what I have seen is actually beautiful & nice to look at. They really need to up their game here.
Rai The Noblesse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:33 am Reply with quote
omg, Netflix and all Anime Synchros.., PLEASE INVEST IN BETTER SYNCHRONISATIONS!!!

atleast the voice acting in the early 90's and some from the 2000's were decent (Fist of the north star, Claymore) not great but decent..

Devilman Crybaby and this Godzilla sound horrible.., it can never go mainstream as Netflix might be hoping for with such engl synchros..

and besides that, CG needs to look better, not like a ps2 intro lol...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1