• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Märchen Mädchen (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:27 am Reply with quote

Märchen Mädchen (TV)

Genres: fantasy
Themes:

Plot Summary: Hazuki Kagimura is a normal girl who is usually alone. Her relationship with her new family is not going so well, so she retreats every day to the world of stories and books. One day, after school, one of the library's bookshelves sends her to another world with a magic school, where she meets Shizuka Tsuchimikado. She finds out that girls (called "mädchen") who attend the school are selected by old fairy tales and folk stories to wield their magic, and are taught how to wield it in the school. The school has girls who are chosen by such stories as Kaguya-hime no Monogatari, Issun-bōshi, Der Freischütz, Shuten-dōji, The Little Matchstick Girl, The Gigantic Turnip, Arthurian legends, and The Ramayana. Hazuki herself is chosen by the Cinderella story. She begins her new life at the school to become a magic user, and be friends with Shizuka.
----------------------------------

First episode airs today.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TymersRealm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1
The narrative itself wasn't bad. But between the very bland OP and the events in the back half of the ep, do we really need to throw in fan service into this?

There seem to be some decent concepts here. but I'm worried those will get overshadowed by everything else. I'll at least give episode two a watch before really deciding though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:16 am Reply with quote
Om nom nom nom.
That is some of the yuri stuff that I like. What else when she professes love toward the mage girl before saying she wants to be friends?

The main character seems sweet, she is not being overplayed, and instead feels easy to sympathise with, with a more balanced set of strengths and weaknesses, over say another show that throws the main character into a fantasy world. And just social stuff is a main goal right now, that the story could work out okay.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:35 am Reply with quote
Watched the second episode, and it seemed to settle down from the first episode. I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:08 am Reply with quote
They mentioned Harry Potter, which seems pretty rare for anime.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Why would you need a break from production? How bad could it possib-BLAAARGH!!!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:13 am Reply with quote
I did notice a strangely stunted animated scene, where the screen was moving with the characters moving in strangely low amount of frames.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:12 am Reply with quote
Episodes 11 & 12

Crazy, the show actually finished, like over a year later. Unfortunately, I think that a lot of the details were lost on me, for suddenly just having the last two episodes. But I am happy to see some closure with it. Feels like a bit of a cop out that the end of this show that had quite a bit of yuri stuff, had pretty much a confession but just had it as friends.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1