• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Sword Art Online Producer: Series Sold to Netflix, Will Have Asian Lead Actors

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure Klein was also Asian, but I appreciate this producer's dedication to racial accuracy regardless.
catbot158

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I guess that's a good thing, right? Although I think the whole cast should be Japanese, and this should be in Japan, I can see the global aspect kicking in. So good on you guys.

Now for the actual show to be good....
BinBouGami1234

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I’m of the opinion that the only real reason to avoid whitewashing is to avoid the controversy. Ultimately the race of the characters will not affect whether a series is good or not, but people will immediately criticize and avoid anything that they think involves whitewashing. There is a problem with not casting people enough that aren’t white, but to me that isn’t a reason to dislike or turn away from something. I didn’t personally enjoy the original series, but I think the premise of Sword Art Online has massive potential, and hopefully this series can finally deliver on that.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised they're sticking to having Asian leads. I figured they were just gonna have the show set in America and have Kirito be named "Kevin" or something like that. So good on them, I guess?

Granted, the show's still probably gonna suck. With how dumb the anime is, I can't imagine it being any better in live-action.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"and part of the agreement was that Kitty Cat Asuna would remain Asian." (Note: Kalogridis most likely said "Kirito and Asuna.")

Heh. Wonder what the interviewer was thinking. "Oh it's that anime thing, so..."
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:

Granted, the show's still probably gonna suck. With how dumb the anime is, I can't imagine it being any better in live-action.

The problem with SAO has always been in execution rather than the premise -- cool characters like Klein and Agil get demoted to extras, Asuna gets depowered, the interesting issues about how society develops in Aincrad are pushed into the background to make room for the Damsel of the Day, and Sword Art Online itself only makes up a tiny fraction of the series. (And to be fair, Kawahara has fixed a lot of the problems with Progressive.)

If the TV series takes the story one floor at a time without any huge time jumps, and it develops a full ensemble of characters, it has the potential to be good.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:18 pm Reply with quote
SAO is a great series with plenty of fans but the main issue is that it is Hollywood that is trying to make this adaptation. The idea of the traditional male hero is legitimately hard for people in modern Hollywood to understand even though that idea has existed for thousands of years. I would like to be optimistic but knowing Hollywood they will try to make a live-action series for the feminists who hate SAO which will make no one happy.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm not surprised to see it move to Netflix given the anime is already on there. Hopefully this works out better then the Death Note movie.

I think it's great that they want to keep both Kirito and Asuna Asian, though that makes me curious to see who they'll end up casting, moreso for Asuna then Kirito. And will they keep them as teens?

And I guess by association that means the same for Suguha as well (even if I doubt we'll see her in this).

I also think it's interesting that they might play up the global aspect as far as casting, and obviously they mention Agil, though since Klein is also mentioned I wonder if he might end up being American in this? Although then you can't really do Fuurinkazan (unless he's, like, an American Otaku or something).

Also makes me curious to see what they might do casting/nationality wise with the extended cast (Lisbeth, Silica, etc.) if they're in it.

I also wonder if they'll keep Kayaba Asian? Not that that should matter when they get to Heathcliff.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I've gotten everything I've wanted out of the novels (to cover the stuff the anime lacked) so I dunno if I'd actually watch a LA version of SAO...:/ seems a bit pointless.

MFrontier wrote:
And will they keep them as teens?

If they are faithful to any of the sexy bits like chapter 16 (anime episode 10)....definitely NOT. xD They'll cast adults who look like teens and....that's not hard to do with Asian actors, at least.
phantom360

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Why it matters that the lead actors are asain? is beyond me. What matters to me personally is that they can act i really don't care what race acts/plays a certain role/character aslong as they can act and all they really need to do is keep the characters personality.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:43 pm Reply with quote
phantom360 wrote:
Why it matters that the lead actors are asain?

Because otherwise, we end up with shite like this.

http://media.comicbook.com/2016/05/dragonballevolution-hero-vf1-181434.jpg

NOW YOU DON'T WANT THAT AGAIN, DO YOU?
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
phantom360 wrote:
Why it matters that the lead actors are asain?

Because otherwise, we end up with shite like this.

http://media.comicbook.com/2016/05/dragonballevolution-hero-vf1-181434.jpg

NOW YOU DON'T WANT THAT AGAIN, DO YOU?

That has everything to do with shit writing/acting/production and absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that the lead actor is Caucasian.
animefan1238

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
SAO is a great series with plenty of fans but the main issue is that it is Hollywood that is trying to make this adaptation. The idea of the traditional male hero is legitimately hard for people in modern Hollywood to understand even though that idea has existed for thousands of years. I would like to be optimistic but knowing Hollywood they will try to make a live-action series for the feminists who hate SAO which will make no one happy.

Well when you're Hollywood and have no original ideas of your own.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:05 pm Reply with quote
CurseTheSky wrote:
and absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that the lead actor is Caucasian.

LOOK at him though Rolling Eyes Would you cast this punk as Goku? Does he LOOK like Goku?
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:06 pm Reply with quote
phantom360 wrote:
Why it matters that the lead actors are asain? is beyond me. What matters to me personally is that they can act i really don't care what race acts/plays a certain role/character aslong as they can act and all they really need to do is keep the characters personality.

I don't give a rat's rear about this "whitewashing" thing, but I would like to see an adaptation of a novel series where the two leads are supposed to be Japanese be played by Japanese actors. For me, it is about respecting the source materials. If Kirito and Asuna were from America and white, then I'd want them to be white. If they were Arab, I'd want them played by Arabs. If they were black, then I'd want black actors to play the roles.

Then, within that context, pick the best actors for the role.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8