• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Completely Dissimilar Twins

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:24 pm Reply with quote
That #2 section is a mess. It's acting like you're talking about the magazine LaLa and the series Nana. Doesn't anyone ever proofread these articles? Naruto articles always have the same problem too, where it doesn't recognize that only the title is supposed to be italicized, not the character name. Is it some coding issue?

I didn't see any of those movies so I can't really vote... not much of a movie watcher.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
That #2 section is a mess. It's acting like you're talking about the magazine LaLa and the series Nana. Doesn't anyone ever proofread these articles? Naruto articles always have the same problem too, where it doesn't recognize that only the title is supposed to be italicized, not the character name. Is it some coding issue?

I didn't see any of those movies so I can't really vote... not much of a movie watcher.

It's not in the HTML, it's in an automated function that links to the Encyclopedia. We turn it off manually when we edit the piece, but sometimes it doesn't take if the page gets reloaded too soon or something. Should be fixed now.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm so sorry, I just feel apologetic for what I voted in the current poll Wink Laughing

And about the listed ED theme this season, I think I agree to the top ten results, not that I've listened to all of them, but mostly they're to my liking too. Maybe this season's just generally got some nice ED theme to my ears.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
There's something wrong with the "Who Will Win Best Animated Picture at the Academy Awards?" poll.

It has other choices besides Coco, the movie that will inevitably win because of Disney and Pixar's near total domination of the category. The only times a Pixar film has been nominated in the Best Animated Feature category and lost were when Monsters, Inc. lost to Shrek for BAF 2001 and Cars lost to Happy Feet for BAF 2006. Whatever the relative merits of Coco are compared to the other films, I don't think there's really much of any chance of a third upset victory against Pixar this year.

The poll question really should be "Who Ought to Win Best Animated Picture at the Academy Awards?" since "will" isn't really a matter of opinion.

Last edited by Tenchi on Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:54 pm Reply with quote
This list brought a smile to my face thanks to its’ inclusion of the twin sisters from To Love Ru. They’re my personal favorite from this list mainly due to them being my first genuine exposure to anime, so great job for mentioning them, Lynzee.

Last edited by Joshua Zarate on Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I think black butler might have made it on this list if the material got some more time to develop, considering the events that occurred in recent chapters.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I went in saying "I hope Vash and Knives are #1" Then I saw Johann and Anna...yup! Ain't no twins more deserving of the top spot!
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:09 pm Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
I went in saying "I hope Vash and Knives are #1" Then I saw Johann and Anna...yup! Ain't no twins more deserving of the top spot!

Yup!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
There's something wrong with the "Who Will Win Best Animated Picture at the Academy Awards?" poll.

It has other choices besides Coco, the movie that will inevitably win because of Disney and Pixar's near total domination of the category. The only times a Pixar film has been nominated in the Best Animated Feature category and lost were when Monsters, Inc. lost to Shrek for BAF 2001 and Cars lost to Happy Feet for BAF 2006. Whatever the relative merits of Coco are compared to the other films, I don't think there's really much of any chance of a third upset victory against Pixar this year.

On the other hand, multiple Pixar films of late have not been nominated at all. None of the Cars sequels, Monsters U., Good Dinosaur, not even Finding Dory (which might have deserved a nomination at least).

I won't say it won't win. it's a damn good movie for all audiences after all, and its competition are a couple crappy pop-culture and poop joke spewing kid pleasers and a couple critical darlings that garnered no wide audience.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I find it funny Johhny Yong Bosch and Bryce Papenbrook provided the voice for numbers 4 and 5 (albeit for #4 they both voice the same character at different ages and #5 they each voice one of the two).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:43 am Reply with quote
Oooh, if we were making a new list (since it says this is a rerun) and we wanted to go into spoiler territory, StarMyu... not Nayuki's sisters, the other twins. The spoiler ones.

Their story is really the core of the series... I wish more people would watch StarMyu and see how well-written it is.

(I don't think they ever directly state that the brothers in question are twins, but they're in the same year and they have the same birthday.)
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:51 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

On the other hand, multiple Pixar films of late have not been nominated at all. None of the Cars sequels, Monsters U., Good Dinosaur, not even Finding Dory (which might have deserved a nomination at least).

That's why I specified only Pixar movies that "[have] been nominated"; the non-Toy Story Pixar sequels and The Good Dinosaur probably would have been beaten by non-Pixar or possibly even non-Disney animated films had they been nominated so Disney didn't even bother pushing them that hard for nomination.

The Good Dinosaur, the only Pixar feature that isn't a sequel to not be nominated since the inception of the Best Animated Feature Oscar, is a special example anyway since it was on the pre-nomination shortlist against another Pixar movie, Inside Out, that was the clear favourite to win the Oscar, being a critical and commercial success whereas The Good Dinosaur got so-so reviews and was Pixar's first sub-$150 million (domestic) performer. I thought The Good Dinosaur was technically impressive, in terms of having the best-realized natural scenery and environmental effects I've seen in a Pixar film, but the story was kind of weak so it wasn't a great loss that it didn't get a nomination.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Agon and Unsui Kongo didn't make the list, huh?

Eyeshield 21 really needs more love.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
works as foil to Rin who would rather shoot first and ask questions later

Questions? Rin ask Questions?
You mean Rin who would rather shoot first and then have the others ask questions later. Wink

my boy rin is too dumb- i mean too bad ass to be concerned with something as insignificant as questions.

but also
Quote:
but academically he's as dumb as a brick.

lets be real bricks are probably smarter than him, at least bricks have a purpose and they do that one thing they were made to do really well. Rin is... well he's the son of satan and has really cool psychic flames.

also wow Rito's cast of female characters really expanded alot since I dropped it. I only recognize about half the names thrown.

Ah surprised to see monster here, its such an old title.
Although I don't know if i'd agree that Johan was dommed at birth spoiler[from what I recall it was a combined experience and biology that turned him into the titular monster. He was born with a predisposition toward more... extreme behavior(biology) and then he visualized human experimentation being done to him(the experiments actually happened to his sister with her vividly recounting it and Johan believed it happened to him) coupled with the realization that his mother might have mistaken him for his sister when she had to give up one of her children for said human experiments.]
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:22 am Reply with quote
BlueRex666 wrote:
I find it funny Johhny Yong Bosch and Bryce Papenbrook provided the voice for numbers 4 and 5 (albeit for #4 they both voice the same character at different ages and #5 they each voice one of the two).

afraid your wrong about some parts there!

while bosch did do voice work for numbers 4 & 5, papenbrook wasn't even doing anime voice acting back in the 90's when trigun came out. the one that did knives was the old animaze/zero limit production VA named joshua seth (whose probably no longer voice acting anymore considering on how long its been since trigun) who also voiced tai for the 4kids version of digimon and tetsuo for the Akira movie.

DangerMouse wrote:
trilaan wrote:

Yup!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

after seeing monster back during the old SciFi AniMonday run and reading the manga, YOU WONT BE HEARING ANY ARGUMENTS FROM ME!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2