• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Tanaka-kun is Always Listless

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote
A Virtual Boy; cool.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:09 pm Reply with quote
When I try to look at the SL pics, it redirects me here - animenewsnetwork.com/shelf-life/2018/02/19#articles
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched Tanaka-kun is Always Listless, but from the clips I've seen, I got the impression it would be rental at most.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:00 pm Reply with quote
One of 2016's best. Defintely a series worth buying.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I haven't watched Tanaka-kun is Always Listless, but from the clips I've seen, I got the impression it would be rental at most.

I only watched the first episode and found it kind of boring. But I have heard a bunch of people say that the whole show turned out to be good; I might watch it with the dub on HIDIVE.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Tanaka-kun is kind of close to being shelfworthy but... here's how I'd compare the show... imagine ARIA as a series comprised of a few random season 1 episodes and early season 2 ones. There's the main character, how they interact with the world and the people around them and, most importantly, how the MC's philosophy changes and challenges the rest of the cast and that's as far as it goes.

What ARIA does that Tanaka-kun dose not is put the main character into context. We see how the main character affects the world but we never get to see the world affect the main character. No one reaches Tanaka, nothing reaches him. He's a static character, almost completely unchanging.

Maybe all Tanaka-kun wants to be is a light comedy and that's ok but the potential to be something more is there... in fact, it's right there in the opener as Tanaka finds himself surrounded by the people he gathers during the course of the show. It reminds me of the wonderful Aria episode... one of many for that series... where Arika draws each cast member to sit down and talk to her but they end up talking to each other, about their past. She tells them how nice it'd be if she was one of them, sharing their story. They stop, shocked and they tell her that each one is there because she's already important to them, she is one of them, that they are sitting there because she was sitting there.

This idea is reused in the Tanaka-kun opener but that's as far as it goes. It is easier to compare this show to quirky character comedies... Nozaki-kun, I didn't notice you were there... than solidly executed ones that reached a conclusion.... Nozaki-kun, I didn't notice you were here as well.
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
When I try to look at the SL pics, it redirects me here - animenewsnetwork.com/shelf-life/2018/02/19#articles

I'm having the same problem, and also experienced it last time there was a Shelf Obsessed entry. Sad

EDIT: It seems to be an Internet Explorer problem, because when I switched to Chrome, it worked fine.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:00 pm Reply with quote
@ Shelf Obsessed ~~ Hi, Anna!

Does Kitty read manga too? Certainly looks comfy there.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Hooray, kitty! Also, I forgot you had a Casio Loopy (lol), how many of the whopping 11 game library do you have (other than Magical Shop, which wikipedia says was built in)?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Kitty is a rather well made plush. Can't you see the button in the ear?
tojikomori

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:42 am Reply with quote
Patlabor! I have the Sentai Blu-rays now, but while I'm grateful for the picture quality they can hardly hold a candle to Bandai's chipboards on the shelf. (Ah, and the storyboards! And the book!)
Wooga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:12 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
A Virtual Boy; cool.

it is , very. YES it works. And I even have a homebrew game for it.

Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
Does Kitty read manga too? Certainly looks comfy there.
Good eye!! yup thats our Kitty Chewie.

classicalzawa wrote:
Also, I forgot you had a Casio Loopy (lol), how many of the whopping 11 game library do you have (other than Magical Shop, which wikipedia says was built in)?

YES thats a Loopy
YES its the only game console designed for girls
YES it prints stickers!!
I have 5/11 games. No I dont have magical shop. BUT ONE DAY
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:49 am Reply with quote
What pushes Tanaka-kun up, that I can see that those who have not seen most of it, is that it excels at mood. It sounds like a weird idea of a show where the main character is lazy, but as you watch you feel that it has threaded this sort mood into the atmosphere, which is better than just having a quirky main character and calling it a day.

It is how I think Tanaka-kun beat Sakamoto.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:07 am Reply with quote
OMG I have that exact same Tails doll! I forgot that he had so much hair... I might have given mine a hair cut when I was 5 or so. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Omg that is such a cool collection! Noticing a lot of retro stuff in there. Gotta love that Tails plush too lol.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2