• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Potentially Stolen Ai & Makoto Manga Material Appear on Auction Site

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
partially

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Bizarre.

So let me get this straight. It sounds like they aren't trying to reclaim any of the material. They are just telling people that do have it to not sell it? One of the more unusual ways I have seen stolen goods handled.
grooven

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I'm confused what happens now? It does seem like nobody is turning it back in.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Shouldn't it be Mandarake? Autocorrect messed up?
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:35 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
Yeah I'm confused what happens now? It does seem like nobody is turning it back in.

My guess is that it’s hard to prove the theft (it was the 70s after all and it is probably more correct to say they wern’t returned rather than stolen) good enough for any police action, but they can comment any time some of these items come up for auction.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Big Web Auction items on Mandarake always go for ungodly high amounts. 4,000,000 yen. That would be a case of buyer's remorse for me.

The thing is, this sort of thing happens all the time. Artwork magically disappears and is whisked away into private collection. Sometimes it's just an innocent act of negligence. And other times, it's just pure profit. For example, years ago, I had a commission from a Japanese artist who sent it to her editor to scan for an upcoming artbook before it would be sent out. That artwork sat in the editor's office for well over a year before it was returned and sent to me. In that time frame, that artwork could have easily have disappeared. It didn't, in my case, but I'm sure things like this happen all the time.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:12 am Reply with quote
If the suspect(s) had legally bought the artwork, then there should not be an issue. They could have potentially gotten the same amount of $ had they gone this route.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:50 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
If the suspect(s) had legally bought the artwork, then there should not be an issue. They could have potentially gotten the same amount of $ had they gone this route.

You can’t legally buy stolen goods! They remain stolen goods no matter how many owners they pass through.
casenumber00

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:10 am Reply with quote
Was it really stolen or accidentally sold a while ago and no one remembers? My dad use to tell me stories about how he had a box full of rare comic books like first appearance of Wolverine, Avengers #1, etc and told me for years some friend stole his entire box. Then, at a family gathering, everyone was talking about something (cant remember what exactly) then I chimed in like your box of comic that got stolen. My grandma says "they werent stolen, you sold them" "Why would I sell my prized comics?" "you really wanted a car to drive around in"
Basically, it was an expense he had to do to buy a car as an early adult and he totally forgot about selling the comics in the early 70s. Now, buying a car is trivial but at the time for him those comics needed to be sold so he could drive to work and do young adult stuff, which, at the time, was more important than the comics. I am not saying Kodansha is lying but it is easy to forget at doing things.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:36 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
Shouldn't it be Mandarake? Autocorrect messed up?

More like my brain messed up. I thought it was "mandrake" since that's an actual word and just typed it in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:35 pm Reply with quote
They probably can’t do anything about it being stolen, because they didn’t report on it the first time around, and the statute of limitations for doing so ended.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:23 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
You can’t legally buy stolen goods! They remain stolen goods no matter how many owners they pass through.

But how do you prove they're stolen?

That's the hard thing with this sort of artwork. It's not like a Picasso painting where its provenance well documented, and likely famous enough to be easily recognizable to someone in the know. If artwork of this caliber is stolen, the art theft becomes well known throughout the art world. Ethical museums, if offered the stolen goods, should do their best to ensure the police can arrest those involved and reacquire the stolen goods.

Theft of manga manuscripts is a lot harder to prove. And with the amount of volume that many publishing companies deal with, tracking down all artwork involved becomes very difficult. Sometimes publishing companies offer originals as prizes in magazine contests. Do you think that the publishing company kept a record of that contest 30+ years down the road? Probably not.

To the collector of this series, this probably was too good to pass up, even if the original publisher labels it as being stolen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1