• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Is It Such A Big Deal When Anime Characters Cut Their Hair?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote
My favourite use of this was in Tales of the Abyss
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:16 am Reply with quote
Worst trope ever. Long live long hair
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:21 am Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:

Amen, brother. Part of me died when Hitagi cut her hair. I'm so happy it grew back in the end.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:26 am Reply with quote
Interesting. I was told it could also means you’re no longer in the world of the living.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:40 am Reply with quote
To be fair, people can do with their hair whatever they want, but people can and will freak out of you have a big change in it, regardless of the reason. I prefer to keep it just past my shoulders because if it's too short, it gets in my face, and if it's too long, I spend too much money on shampoo.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:51 am Reply with quote
This isn´t an anime trope though, like at all. How many action films have hair and beard cut montages? I literally saw twice today when i binged the brilliant Cobra Kai. Overall a short hand for lazy writing by handing out an easy to spot characterization change in most cases. Eh.

I myself cut my long hair and beard when i joined the army and immediately regrew both when i got out. Can´t say that any of that changed anything with me as a person.
Long hair also isn´t hard to take care off, like at all. Mine is about 70 cm long. I need about 5 minutes with a hair dryer if i get it wet to get it all back in shape. Hardy a time investment and combing take 2 minutes at the most. That´s about the time most short haired men take to apply gel and such crap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote
Not counting Akane Tendo from Ranma 1/2, who, in the first season, had been growing her hair long to try and appear "cute" like her big sister's--
But when it gets chopped short from collateral damage in one of Ranma & Ryouga's fights, it leads to that girls' traumatic losing-first-crush moment for two entire episodes, and leaves her with the more familiar short "tomboy" cut she had for the next six seasons.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:55 am Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:

QUOTED FOR TRUTH.

Ashitaka's was okay.....I guess. Haruhi Suzumiya also pulled it off.

BUT IT NORMALLY LOOKS TERRIBLE in every other example.
catbot158

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
First time I saw this trope used was in Avatar: The Last Airbender, when Zuko and his uncle both cut their buns off after betraying the Fire Nation. It was a cool moment, and it's interesting that it's a tradition that came from Japan, since I believe the Fire Nation was based on Japan during their imperial days.

MarthKoopa wrote:

I do admit liking long hair more myself, but short hair can be cute too. In terms of the trope, Zuko and Ashitaka pulled it off. Worst one was Akane from Ranma 1/2. Not that her new look was bad, but her long hair was so damn nice to look at.
Sayonara, long hair Akane. You will be missed.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:12 pm Reply with quote
catbot158 wrote:
Worst one was Akane from Ranma 1/2. Not that her new look was bad,

More like God-awful. Anime hyper She looked more like a boy that way than Ranma in his boy form. Hers in particular was not necessary at all because she didn't even do it herself!

But yes. Seeing the show very early into my anime fandom awakened my feelings of "Wow, I hate this" every time long hair gets cut. Sad
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:16 pm Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:

A man of culture as well I see. I immediately thought of Sakura cutting her hair in the chuunin exams when I read the question. It was my first experience of the troupe 15 years ago.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Usually I'm relatively indifferent to the hair cutting trope (though I'd usually take the longer hair over the short one if I had to choose), but I really didn't like how short Chinami cut her hair in Golden Time. Not only did she cut her hair, spoiler[but she also had a relatively bad ending (I was really shipping Mitsuo x Chinami)]. Feelsbadman.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm reminded of the beautiful scene in Now and Then, Here and There where spoiler[Sara cuts her long hair with a knife, after escaping Hellywood], and the hair is picked up by the wind in the moonlight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I shall admit to my envy of those who are able to cut their own hair. Being averse to the bête noire of a barber's small talk, the benefits of doing so are more than just financial.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:30 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
This isn´t an anime trope though, like at all. How many action films have hair and beard cut montages? I literally saw twice today when i binged the brilliant Cobra Kai.
In western fiction the usage is completely different, it is either someone joining the army or a girl disguising herself has a boy. In Anime it is more of cultural thing, something about how it represents a butterfly coming out of a cocoon. Which is probably why it is such a clever storytelling motif.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4