• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fate/Grand Order Game's New Event Set in 1945 Stirs Controversy

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gacha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:50 pm Reply with quote
[Edit]: be polite or don't post. Errinundra.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but think this was very poorly thought out. FGO has a significant revenue stream outside Japan, including countries in Asia directly affected by Japan's wartime actions. They have all of history to play with and they thought this was good idea? They really should have known better.

Last edited by hissatsu01 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
MisterLuck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:00 pm Reply with quote
So Battlefield V gets a pass I guess or are the Japanese the only ones who can't say anything about WW2.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I think the Fate franchise has always had the potential to be more mainstream but Type-Moon tends to make certain grimdark choices that make that difficult. I get that time travel is an important part of FGO but 1945 is one of those years you think they would have avoided. Granted people don't know what is going to happen in the event so I think it is a bit early for the outrage campaign.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:10 pm Reply with quote
The issue is the people complaining about the event have no idea where the original materials came from.

Strange Tales of the Imperial Holy Grail isn't a real thing, it's a joke from Koha-Ace, it's always been a joke since Sakura Saber became Okita. It was never meant to be a serious thing, Guda Guda Order is just one big gag story based off Koha-Ace.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I think we should all save judgment for when we can actually read this story so we can see how much political bias they actually put in it before everyone gets up in arms and complains about it.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:38 pm Reply with quote
To be frank, although the recent LN fiasco was largely the author’s wrongdoing and insensitivness. But I can definitely defend this case:

Why?

Now this is the REAL example of fictional history. Why you ask? Since the bad guys are trying to use the holy grail to turn the tables on WWII, players are playing as the good guys to stop their plan and restore the history as it is. In terms of political correctness, you cannot get better and more thoughtful like that. No real historical events are mentioned to convey someone’s badassery, just the necessary name drop you need to know to complete your game mission and stop revisionist mages.

Probably the year 1945 triggers the Korean players, and the event announcement on June 6th seems like an unfortunate coincidence (see the article for explanations). Other than that; not much other than overreactions.

Last edited by Engineering Nerd on Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
It would pretty much be controversial at almost any 1940 based year saved for maybe the tail end of the decade.
At the same time, it is hypocrisy to complain about FGO as it has had several Japanese themed focused events which occasionally have the "patriotic fervor" level of attention.

The only thing honestly to complain about is MAYBE a lack of Korean' themed servants as it would be a passive aggressive means to indirectly snub another nation.
Robiii

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:43 pm Reply with quote
The “controversies” just never seem to end. Dear god.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Just how stupid people could be... No, I just can't believe that they sincerely doing it, without any ulterior reason. I mean, they are complain about goddamn year, not story or anything, because... well... It's not released yet. This is new level of stupidity. What's funny is that there's sevants from 19th century, and no one from actual WWII.

I think that those people trying to false accuse DelightWorks for whatever reason.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Probably the year 1945 triggers the Korean players, and the event starts June 6th didn’t help (see the article for explanations). Other than that; not much other than overreactions.

The event doesn't start till next week, they had a steam announcing the event on the 6th. The format was the same as any of the other streams they've done with the voice actors.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Speaking about this "controversy", one of korean redditors posted this today, and this post explains a lot.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:59 pm Reply with quote
MisterLuck wrote:
So Battlefield V gets a pass I guess or are the Japanese the only ones who can't say anything about WW2.

Battlefield V ( and BF2) are not revisionist. They also generally don't take place in Korea. One aspect of these events is apparently taht you "occupy" territories outside of Japan, that one can assume would either be China, South Korea, or both. This is very similar to the events that led to the Rape of Nanking, among many other largely-ignored war crimes.

This event bearing so many similarities to such things is extremely poor taste. Now, I do think it's a bit early to get riled up since we haven't seen the story, but I personally think Type-Moon and everyone involved simply shouldn't have touched this era. Stick to the distant past and the future and no one can be offended. Japan pretending these things never happened really doesn't help either. The Battlefield series doesn't rewrite history. There's a big difference between "Alternative history" (Wolfenstein, most other Fate stories) and "revisionist history". If the game acknowledges that Imperialist Japan was (FACTUALLY) the ones in the wrong, then I don't think we'll have much of a problem. If they make Imperialist Japan look like the good guys, then that's just revisionist BS.

"The “controversies” just never seem to end. Dear god."
Oh my. TWO entire controversies in one week! What ever will we do?

@FenixFiesta

None of the previous events had players Occupy areas on the Asian continent in a similar Year and manner that the Imperial Japanese did in WW2 when they committed thousands of rapes and murders on innocent civilians.

@Engineering Nerd

You're stating that as if it's fact but I can't confirm it is since the event hasn't started yet. The description of the event is pretty awful. What the player has to do is too similar to what Imperialist Japan during this time frame. At best, you're right, and it's extremely insensitive and they shouldn't have chosen this time frame. Japan basically pretends these events never took place so it's really hard for me to believe they'll have the story specify that Imperialist Japan were wrong/evil. And I'm 100% sure they won't mention the war crimes at all. But I hope you're right.

@Ialdaboth and ChesterMcCool

Plenty of Americans point out the crimes America committed in WW2. The same ones are upset about this as well. The Americans that treat America as a Never-do-wrong country are definitely not the same Americans that understand how insensitive this event is.

I checked Japanese twitter about this event yesterday. There wasn't a large response but the few that I saw were like 90% racist "KOREANS ARE STUPID AND SERVICE SHOULD BE STOPPED", "KOREAN PEOPLE ARE EVIL" "KOREANS HAVE NO BRAIN". And only a handful said "They seem sincerely concerned about this event so maybe we should at least listen and have a discussion? Change can only come from if the Japanese listen". I was mostly pretty disappointed in Japan's reactions to it. But understandable given that their schools very often (always?) don't mention the war crimes that their country committed. At least there was a few people willing to at least listen to what the Korean people had to say. Listening is best move to make here.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:00 pm Reply with quote
MisterLuck wrote:

Call me crazy but I'm pretty sure Battlefield 5 isn't intended to rewrite or revise the U.S.'s and other country's roles in the wars. Maybe omit certain things like the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and the Holocaust but still.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:01 pm Reply with quote
dark_bozu wrote:
Speaking about this "controversy", one of korean redditors posted this today, and this post explains a lot.

There's zero evidence to support that claim, so it's more harmful than not to post it. Get evidence, then share it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5