• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Answerman - Why Did Yen Press Give Away The Latest Volume of Overlord?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RocketJew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not sure when you wrote this question...

Quote:
...it's pretty clear...

Obviously it wasn't clear, why else would someone ask this question?

EDIT: Now I noticed it WHEN, not WHY. I just made fool out of myself...

Last edited by RocketJew on Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Now, I am sad to find out I missed out on this deal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Wait in what countries is Overlord on Netflix? Not in the US at least. Wish I had been aware of this Overlord LN sale. Guess I missed it.

As for Amazon, Sam at JNC once said that Amazon gives very little warning or permission when they wanted to discount some of his company’s novels, like Isekai Smartphone. He said that when the first volume was very cheap there, it doubled sales for that volume, but that overall profit per customer obviously went down. He admitted it probably helped grow readership for the rest of the series, so overall it most likely was a success.

Just a month ago or so, Kodansha sold most of their series’ first manga volumes digitally for $1 each. I got Land of the Lustrous myself.

And then there was that really awesome Humble Bundle sale on Kodansha manga a couple weeks ago. I got Ajin 1-11, Seven Deadly Sins 1-22, Inuyashiki 1-10, all of Ghost in the Shell and SAC (still left to right unfortunately), and all of Alita/Last Order/MC all for just $18. Pretty crazy deal if you ask me.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Guess this Answerman isn't a subtle paid promotion since the deal is over and the light novel is at its normal digital $9.99 price. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I sent the question on 28 May.

I'm not a Barnes & Noble e-book reader, but I checked there in order to see if it was an Amazon promotion, or from Yen Press. I didn't keep checking the price, so I don't know how long the discount lasted (and I don't think that it extended to any of the other volumes). I wasn't sure how quick the turnaround times were for the Answerman columns, or even if it would be answered, but I thought that maybe an answer would come out in time for others to catch the deal...

It didn't really seem like news, so I went to Answerman.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:11 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:

As for Amazon, Sam at JNC once said that Amazon gives very little warning or permission when they wanted to discount some of his company’s novels, like Isekai Smartphone. He said that when the first volume was very cheap there, it doubled sales for that volume, but that overall profit per customer obviously went down. He admitted it probably helped grow readership for the rest of the series, so overall it most likely was a success.

Since we operate under kdp I’m sure that yen press has very different rules for when amazon can discount etc.
Considering that it was only like this for a few days I believe, and there was zero promotion for it, honestly I can only see it as a listing error.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:57 pm Reply with quote
...Yen Press is still four years behind...Thank goodness for JP Amazon.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:00 pm Reply with quote
aw dang this is pretty disappointing, for me at least.
I've bought all the hardcover editions of overlord till now so I'd have loved to own a digital version if it was free.
I'll never choose a digital version of a physical copy unless there's a huge discount, there's something that far infinitely more satisfying about having a physical copy on display versus a couple of MB on a server.
Also I'm both excited and nervous about the 3rd season. It tackles a very grim 'side plot' which I feel if they don't adapt well will greatly affect how the audience is supposed to perceive Ainz.
spoiler[He ain't no hero, hell he'd probably give the godhand(berserk) a run for their money on acts of cruelty to anyone he doesn't perceive as his ally ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1