• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Tsugumomo Release Uses Mix of Broadcast & Uncut Episodes

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Free the nipple!
Nodz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least the censure wasn't so heavy compared to other anime.
I wish there were a season 2, as it was a nice old-school ecchi guily pleasure (and according to what I heard, things get more serious later in the manga).
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
First the Re:ZERO thing and now this. Re:Zero looked better in Crunchyroll streams lol. This is just sad on Funi's end, no matter what their excuse is. There should be zero difference between US and Japan releases except for subtitles and dub tracks.
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:13 pm Reply with quote
It sure hasn't been a good week for FUNimation with some of the pieces of news coming out with some of their home video releases. Still waiting of them to provide more insights on what they plan on doing with the botched Re:Zero release, if they plan on doing anything at all.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:21 pm Reply with quote
From what I read about it on Reddit someone said it's likely due to how bizarre this show gets with skirting the rules of what's legal to show and not be basically hentai and since they are the distributor they probably did it to not get the shit sued out of them.

I don't really understand why people try and act like Tsugumomo isn't nearly hentai, I remember I once saw a bunch of people talking about a chapter on r/manga so I popped in to see what it was about since I'd never heard of the series before, and It was a chapter with some kid fingering a girls asses in the bath, like that's not a manga, that's just a hentai at that point.

This isn't like D X D, or other fanservice series, this one is so close to being hentai you could sneeze and knock it into the other category.

I mean Funimation publishes D X D, Testement of the Sister Devil, etc. They never shy away from adult content hell they even have panels for it at conventions. Other times when they get the broadcast as opposed to home video materials they call them back or delay them, they Delayed Ben-to for like 6 months to get the right stuff. If they're censoring/using broadcast materials and admitting it, it's probably for a good reason

Last edited by Snakebit1995 on Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
First the Re:ZERO thing and now this. Re:Zero looked better in Crunchyroll streams lol. This is just sad on Funi's end, no matter what their excuse is. There should be zero difference between US and Japan releases except for subtitles and dub tracks.

True. How much fault the Japanese companies are at and much fault Funi is at anyone's guess.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

True. How much fault the Japanese companies are at and much fault Funi is at anyone's guess.

It's still always Funimation or the licensee's fault. Their entire job is to make sure they get the proper material from the original distributor. Failing to do so is on them.

Last edited by TasteyCookie on Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
professorwho

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Two in a row! Maybe FUNi will actually do something decent for once...

They have the money to make decent releases, instead they just go the cheapest route possible...
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the anime when it aired. Had this on my "To Buy" list. Now, I'm not sure....disappointing to say the least.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:48 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

It's still always Funimation or the licensee's fault. Their entire job is to make sure they get the proper material from the original distributor. Failing to do so is on them.

For some things, I would agree. However, when it comes to something like this, they are dependent on the Japanese companies sending them the correct material. Even if they ask about it, it still requires a timely and accurate response from Japan. Something would also have to tip them off that it was censored somehow and that an uncensored version exists. Not every fanservicey situation necessarily has nudity, after all. There have been columns on ANN that suggest that sometimes whoever is responsible for sending the materials doesn't even know whether they sent the correct version.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Sadly noticed this after I had opened the BD and could not return. Interestingly right stuf also didn't post my review warning purchasers that this was partially censored.

I can understand cutting the loli scenes out because of MUH CONTROVERSY but make a note on the release so people don't get stuck buying censored content and then being lied to about why it was removed.
lycopene

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Thats unfortunate. More Kadokawa shenanigans?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't Sentai Filmworks to be the shit company?
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Did the licensor purposely provide them with a partially censored version to try to fight against reverse importation? Or is Funimation being squeamish about lolis again?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:44 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Wasn't Sentai Filmworks to be the shit company?

That was just when they were dealing with Amazon Shi- i mean Strike. Wink
Seriously though, 2 bad releases in a single month doesn't look good on Funi. If there's one things weebs wont stand for, it's Western imposed censorship... I am one of them. Regardless of the material, it should never be censored. In this case it doesnt appear to be censorship though as much as Funi not caring to get uncensored versions when they werent sent... At least we can hope thats all it was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5