• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Licenses JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable Manga & Live-Action Fi

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
squirrelmecha-2.0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:03 pm Reply with quote
OMG! YES YES YES YES YES YES YES
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:39 pm Reply with quote
So, they've been dubbing Diamond is Unbreakable this whole time. Nice! Mr. Green
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:43 pm Reply with quote
My only fear is that Viz won’t let Crunchyroll stream Golden Wind. But I guess we’ll find out soon enough.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I would've expected to hear licensing news on the live-action Bleach movie rather than Jo Jo Bizarre's Adventure, although I'm still curious to check that out.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Glad that Diamond Is Unbreakable will be airing on Toonami after Stardust Crusaders finishes up its run. I'm looking forward to watching more JoJo! And hopefully once its ready, they'll also get the rights to run Golden Wind. I'm looking forward to it!
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:28 pm Reply with quote
The live-action movie getting licensed is a surprise to me because Viz hasn't picked up any live-action since the Gantz movies in 2011 and they also let the Death Note movies expire with the most recent film getting screened by FUNimation last year.

Glad to hear about the manga and that they're doing hardcover versions of the Japanese omnibus volumes (not to be confused with the current Jojoniums, those didn't continue past Part 3 in Japan which is what had some fans here worried about) so they're keeping things somewhat consistent in quality.

LegitPancake wrote:
My only fear is that Viz won’t let Crunchyroll stream Golden Wind. But I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

Crunchyroll's previous deals were through WB Japan, including Part 4 which Viz also had at the same time, and IIRC, they were streamed worldwide so unless something changes here, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

EDIT: Just learned the Japanese omnibus volumes were 3-in-1 so with Viz doing 2-in-1, we're getting 9 volumes here instead of the 6 that they had.

Last edited by NJ_ on Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Whis-pur

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:20 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
The live-action movie getting licensed is a surprise to me because Viz hasn't picked up any live-action since the Gantz movies in 2011 and they also let the Death Note movies expire with the most recent film getting screened by .

Funimation has been picking up the live action films quite a bit lately. I'm almost positive they did the live action Assassination Classroom movies, and then recently they picked up and released the live action prison school. Plus the live action Attack on Titan movies.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Super happy about DiU coming to Toonami!!! I’ve been loving Jojo so far, but now I’ll see why Josuke seems to be the most loved Jojo so far Smile
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Did Viz also announce they have the rights to Part 5, which i hope will mean it will start right after
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Pleasantly surprised they got the live-action movie. I'll give it a shot.

All this news makes me extremely happy, but I think the manga news is the most exciting for me. Now I have something to look forward to during the downtime between anime adaptations.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Very excited to finally be able to own the Part 4 manga (I wonder if they're going to release it in the same format as Part 1 and 2, it'd be nice to have more at once but it'd make my collection look weird since I have the original paperbacks for Part 3!) and looking forward to watching the dub on Toonami. It's far from perfect but I've quite enjoyed the Part 3 dub.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Diamond is not only Unbreakable, it arrives earlier than expected.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:54 am Reply with quote
Shar Aznabull wrote:
(I wonder if they're going to release it in the same format as Part 1 and 2, it'd be nice to have more at once but it'd make my collection look weird since I have the original paperbacks for Part 3!)

https://twitter.com/debaoki/status/1015359689758916608

2-in 1 hardcover omnibus releases so we're looking at 9 volumes. it'll be similar to the Part 1-3 Jojoniums except because Japan stopped releasing those after Part 3, these will have some of the original covers.
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:22 am Reply with quote
I hope they'll make the spines match the Jojonium editions at least somewhat. But I guess I'll take whatever there is.

I'm a bit disappointed by the announcement, though, tbh. Viz let us know that they'd keep releasing more Jojo manga a while ago, so this is not news. I had hoped that once they do an official announcement, they'd be more specific about the books's looks.
space.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:02 am Reply with quote
Coup d'État wrote:
I hope they'll make the spines match the Jojonium editions at least somewhat

No chance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1