• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Flavors of Youth

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:53 am Reply with quote
Edit: Woops, I posted this comment in another review, my bad Anime hyper. Already deleted.

If you allow me a little bit of criticism to the review (haven't watched the movie yet, I want to), I found the constant comparisons to "your name." and quite a few of the paragraphs being "not as good as this movie" unnecessary, especially because despite "your name." 's popularity, not all have we seen that movie yet (in some countries like mine it didn't even come out), so this review doesn't stand very much on its own or describe the movie on its own terms; which is okay if the movie is constantly comparing itself and be based on another, like you said about 5 centimeters per second (those comparisons and Shinkai's broad style I get), but it doesn't seem to have that much in comparison with "your name." in particular (which from what I know, while a Shinkai movie, it has a lot of differences that doesn't seem to be in this movie you reviewed) other than the same studio made some movies with Shinkai. It reminds me when people constantly talk down Pixar movies for not being "as good as Toy Story", it feels like putting a lot of pressure on some studio for not making constant outstanding quality one after another, especially when it's different directors.

That's my main criticism of the review, otherwise it's good, and I'm interested in seeing it, I'm very glad chinese productions now have the resources to allow new anime directors with some particular vision to the spotlight and I want to see this one's contributions.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:04 am Reply with quote
Really exciting to see Haoliners/CoMixWave collaboration even if the results are less than stellar! I'm interested to see this now because I am among a group of Shinkai-ophiles that really dislikes 5cm/s so changes are likely to be improvements, especially if the conclusion is other than "reconnect? Nope, too late..."
BlueMax66

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Explain how you managed to see the film when it's not even out yet?
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:27 pm Reply with quote
^ ... because he's in Japan? Just as it says in the subtitle description?
Sulfy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, I didn't even know a new project was even on the horizon from Shinkai's company (or a collaboration to boot) but here we are. I'll have to keep it in the back of my head - especially as someone who loves 5 cm per second. Still haven't seen .your name though (even though I own it), so some of the comparisons in the review fall short for me.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:08 am Reply with quote
What's the difference between the "international version" Netflix licensed and the original Japanese theatrical version?

I think it's misleading to promote this as somehow related to Shinkai and your Name in English marketing materials when he wasn't involved in the creation but shares the same production company, Comix Wave. After reading the review it seems like one has to lower their expectations a bit
BlueMax66

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:13 pm Reply with quote
The reason why people didn't enjoy this was because they missed the subtleties in the film about Chinese cultures and values. A read through this highly insightful and detailed review might help a few to better understand this film's goals, and how it most certainly isn't just another Makoto Shinkai knockoff.[/url]

Last edited by BlueMax66 on Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Having seen this at AX, I like it and thankfully the "5cm/s-segment" was a lot more upbeat. The "A little Fashion Show" segment was really well done too. I hope people give this a chance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1