• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Happy Sugar Life Anime Listed With 12 Episodes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sota-Son

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Of course it is because anime like this can't get anymore than that, it's always unfortunate.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:12 pm Reply with quote
There's 37 chapters currently out (manga is still on-going) and based off the latest chapter and the first scene of the anime it looks like this is going to be a complete adaptation, so they're going to be adapting 3-4 chapters every episode at this pacing. I originally imagined a first season would end at chapter 24 (the turning point of the story) and we would get a second season, but seeing that opening scene and how it relates to chapter 37 leads me to believe this is going to be a fast paced adaptation that ends around the same time the manga does, unless it goes full on anime original (the manga seems to be wrapping up right now). Either way this is one of my favorite series and I'm going to enjoy the ride despite thinking this could have been 24-25 episodes.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
There's 37 chapters currently out (manga is still on-going) and based off the latest chapter and the first scene of the anime it looks like this is going to be a complete adaptation, so they're going to be adapting 3-4 chapters every episode at this pacing. I originally imagined a first season would end at chapter 24 (the turning point of the story) and we would get a second season, but seeing that opening scene and how it relates to chapter 37 leads me to believe this is going to be a fast paced adaptation that ends around the same time the manga does, unless it goes full on anime original (the manga seems to be wrapping up right now). Either way this is one of my favorite series and I'm going to enjoy the ride despite thinking this could have been 24-25 episodes.

Unless they surprise us after episode 12 airs announcing a second season. Happened for 3D kanojo
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:

I, too, shared your thought about a first season ending at Chapter 24, but I don’t think the staff will rush things based on the pacing of the first episode and go past Chapter 24 in 12 episodes. I echo the sentiment of the post before this one in that the staff could surprise us and have a second season announcement by the end of this run. Also, thanks for reminding me about the number of chapters because I only just checked a week ago for the latest update and now, suddenly, I’ve got a whole 12 chapters to read. Anime dazed
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it should stop around chapter 24 before the "second part spoiler[looking for a new castle]" start it would be a perfect stoping point for the first cour ( if multiple ), the first ep adapted the whole first chapter which was about twice as long than the others one and a little bit of the second chapter. I too don't think that it will be rushed, we can hope for another season once the manga end which shouldn't be before long, it really deserve a 2 cour. Also, episodes 1&2 titles are the same than chapters 1&3, depending on the next one a pace of 2 chapters per ep would soon be confirmed.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
Catsplay wrote:

I, too, shared your thought about a first season ending at Chapter 24, but I don’t think the staff will rush things based on the pacing of the first episode and go past Chapter 24 in 12 episodes. I echo the sentiment of the post before this one in that the staff could surprise us and have a second season announcement by the end of this run. Also, thanks for reminding me about the number of chapters because I only just checked a week ago for the latest update and now, suddenly, I’ve got a whole 12 chapters to read. Anime dazed

Yeah surprisingly the translation team decided they wanted to catch up translating the series before the anime started and they were working on it nonstop, so we got 11 chapters released all at once a few days ago. Some of the best chapters in the series too. Chapter 37 is what made me believe that this was going to be a single cour anime because of what was shown in the first scene of the anime (the rings) is also shown in this chapter and is the first appearance of them in the manga.
Ampharos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Saw this coming a while ago. As long as the anime has a good ending I don't care if it's a complete adaptation or not. Can't say I expect it to get a second season though.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:54 am Reply with quote
Nah, it's a low profile project, it's a miracle for a title like this to even get an adaptation, doesn't exactly have a huge appeal or audience.
Hikaru Suzuhara

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:08 am Reply with quote
Chapter length varies quite a bit in this manga. It will not have a simple 2 chapters per episode pace throughout after this first episode or two.

Let me break down the page count for the first 25 chapters for you:

Chapter 1 is the longest with about 68 pages (This is what episode 1 covered with some padding thrown in.)
Chapters 2, 7, and 17 range from 54 to 57 pages.
Chapters 9, 10, 22, and 23 range from 40 to 43 pages
Chapters 4, 5, 8, 11, 14, 16, and 25 range from 30 to 37 pages
Chapters 3, 6, 13, 15, 18, 19, 20, 21, and 24 range from 20 to 25 pages
Finally Chapter 12 is the shortest with just 17 pages.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1