• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Macross Frontier's Sheryl, Ranka Release 1st New Single in 7 Years

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyrantValvatorez

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Delta seems to have done so poorly that they keep going back to a better and more successful series.
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:26 pm Reply with quote
TyrantValvatorez wrote:
Delta seems to have done so poorly that they keep going back to a better and more successful series.

Truth
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:32 pm Reply with quote
ゴ~~ジャス was pretty awesome, so I'm definitely excited for these two new songs. Yoko Kanno is just a perfect composer/song writer for these two women's voices. The duet is definitely where the most hype is.

On June 25, May'n congratulated Megumi Nakajima on 10 years since debut single released and said "I want to sing with you again!". Megumi of course said she wanted to as well (as Ranka and May'n). Looks like they got their wish very quickly! https://twitter.com/mamegu_staff/status/1011243956426850304 Or maybe they already knew back then and were teasing fans...
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:46 am Reply with quote
Me: "Okay. But it won't be Yoko Kanno who wrote them so what is the poin-"
*clicks article, skims to the bottom*
"-ah, okay, nvm."

I'm actually anticipating this now. Smile
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:50 am Reply with quote
Glad to hear more May'n songs as Sheryl and Megumi returning as Ranka. There is something special about them singing Yoko Kanno's music. It really stands out of all the Macross series as the most heartfelt.

This is probably why Delta isn't as good, as it really doesn't have that emotional hook that gets you attached to the characters.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:12 am Reply with quote
Delta's music sold, but everything else was worse. I know Macross needs good music, such a shame Delta forgot to do everything else. I also felt that Freya's voice sounded like a bargain bin Ranka. I mean it was good, but I felt Ranka (Nakajima) was an overall better performer. So a sequel with Freya just couldn't compete. If we look at May'n/Junna, they both sound very different from each other. May'n/Nakajima are far more valuable as a pair.

Glad to see them not forget the past. Didn't Sheryl get a new single a year or two back as well?
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:52 pm Reply with quote
While there are many things I can knock Macross Delta for... I did not dislike the music.
Frontier however was the best of the latest versions of Macross.. both in plot and overall music.
Namikaze Mutsumi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:06 am Reply with quote
TyrantValvatorez wrote:

this is for 10th anniversary of Frontier....Delta movie is successful enough and they have lots of thing going on with Delta..walkure will be held a concert in toyosu pits this summer and just release their 4th single. its seem you just don't care
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
Sheryl Nome's stuff is some of the best JPop out there. May'n has a great voice, but nothing that she's done since has really compared IMHO. I don't know if it's the fact that Yoko Kanno wrote Sheryl Nome's songs, or if it was the music style, or both, but it was fantastic, whereas what she's done since hasn't been (not necessarily bad, but nowhere near the same level), which is particularly frustrating given how good the Macross Frontier Music was. So, I'll snatch up pretty much anything that they release where Yoko Kanno and May'n team up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1