• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ghibli Fest 2018 - Grave of the Fireflies Ticket Giveaway

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Wait, doesn’t Sentai have the license for GotF? And to be honest, the fact that it’s streaming on Hulu doesn’t give me much incentive to pay $12 to see this in theaters.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
One contest I won't be entering... I've seen it once, and that's all my soul can stand...
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:57 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Wait, doesn’t Sentai have the license for GotF? And to be honest, the fact that it’s streaming on Hulu doesn’t give me much incentive to pay $12 to see this in theaters.

They do. GKids is just showing it in theaters.
the green death

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:01 am Reply with quote
I will win this
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:44 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:

Streaming, home video releases, and theatrical exhibition are three separate things you have to play individual licenses for.

Sentai pounced on the Grave of the Fireflies license when CPM's option lapsed (CMP had the GoTF license for over a decade and released it on VHS, laserdisc, and DVD; I've still got my CPM 2-disc set; CPM lost GoTF when it went out of business) and it was obvious Disney would never release Grave of the Fireflies under its own label in North America. There were at least 5 Ghibli features Disney never bothered to release in the States on any home video format and they never released My Neighbors The Yamadas on Blu ray, either.

Can you blame Disney for passing on GoTF? GoTF is the ANTI-Totoro, the film guaranteed to make your day miserable! I still can't believe Ghibli ran Totoro and GoTF on as a double feature when those films were originally released in theaters! Talk about bipolar exhibition!

Disney technically still had the home video rights to most Ghibli features during a two-year period when GKids started theatrically exhibiting the Studio Ghibli films. GKids has been running these Ghibli festivals for at least 3 years now(?).
The only Ghibli film they don't have rights to that Disney still has is The Wind Rises but that should be coming up for re-licensing soon and you can bet GKids on it just to have released the complete Ghibli library in North America.
The only Ghibli films that haven't been released outside of Japan are the music videos they animated and the exclusive Ghibli Museum shorts. The shorts help pay for the Ghibli Museum so they probably won't be released on home video any time soon. One of those shorts was a tie-in to My Neighbor Totoro.
KittyEponine
ANN Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:35 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
One contest I won't be entering... I've seen it once, and that's all my soul can stand...

I've only seen it twice in my life and god, my emotions can't take it. How much more that this was one of the movies that Isao Takahata was mostly involved in. It's too beautiful that hits you emotionally.
CR85747

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:58 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:

Streaming, home video releases, and theatrical exhibition are three separate things you have to play individual licenses for.

Sentai pounced on the Grave of the Fireflies license when CPM's option lapsed (CMP had the GoTF license for over a decade and released it on VHS, laserdisc, and DVD; I've still got my CPM 2-disc set; CPM lost GoTF when it went out of business) and it was obvious Disney would never release Grave of the Fireflies under its own label in North America. There were at least 5 Ghibli features Disney never bothered to release in the States on any home video format and they never released My Neighbors The Yamadas on Blu ray, either.

Can you blame Disney for passing on GoTF? GoTF is the ANTI-Totoro, the film guaranteed to make your day miserable! I still can't believe Ghibli ran Totoro and GoTF on as a double feature when those films were originally released in theaters! Talk about bipolar exhibition!

Disney technically still had the home video rights to most Ghibli features during a two-year period when GKids started theatrically exhibiting the Studio Ghibli films. GKids has been running these Ghibli festivals for at least 3 years now(?).
The only Ghibli film they don't have rights to that Disney still has is The Wind Rises but that should be coming up for re-licensing soon and you can bet GKids on it just to have released the complete Ghibli library in North America.
The only Ghibli films that haven't been released outside of Japan are the music videos they animated and the exclusive Ghibli Museum shorts. The shorts help pay for the Ghibli Museum so they probably won't be released on home video any time soon. One of those shorts was a tie-in to My Neighbor Totoro.

Disney never owned the international rights to Grave of the Fireflies as it was not part the initial deal with Tokuma Shoten. The original manga was published by Shinchosha, and they own the film. (Disney does, however own the film's Japanese home video rights.)
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Masterpiece?
This?

Nah. Rolling Eyes I'm in full agreement with Sage's Anime Abandon. This is not sad because we care about the two main characters. It's sad because spoiler[we're watching children die.]
In other words, the tragedy is so forced. Very. They just try way too hard and it doesn't work. Of all the tear-jerking anime I've seen, this one is the weakest so far. It's manipulative and it's ugly. Yes, I KNOW it's based on a true story....but I just don't feel that it's directed very well. And it doesn't help that Japan basically uses this movie to scare children into behaving properly, like an animated wagging finger, "Your elders went through this so respect them!!"

I don't want to offend fans of the movie and if you like it, all the power to you. I'm voicing my opinion that it's really overrated.

I like comparing this with Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. It's kind of similar with the sibling characters trying to survive in a harsh environment....but it's way better. For one thing, they actually have personalities. :p
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1