• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Premiere Report - Yoshitoshi ABe's RErideD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Was there a premiere at the expo that can't be summed up as "it looks a bit shit, tbh; but the staff were nice"
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the impression I got from the trailer a few months back wasn't far off.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Thanks a lot for the interview. It's always nice to hear from Abe and the fact that he's been involved in the writing of rerided makes it more exciting for me. Also, glad to hear Despera's project is not totally dead yet. Let's hope he and Konaka can pull it off.
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Poor Crunchyroll, for their so important convention, they pick the wrong shows to do a special premiere for(A by-the-numbers ecchi LN adaptation and a mediocre time travel action series) instead of the best ones they could grab instead(Double Decker and JoJo Part 5). It´s a shame. If I were a newbie to anime, how am I supposed to take seriously the fact that they are the best anime streaming service with stuff like this? And I think even Sword Gai or Neo Yokio, 2 bad Netflix originals, look and are more interesting than whatever the heck RedrideD is
petran79

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Ueda was really the creative mind behind Lain and Texhnolyze, while Niea_7 was Abe's more personal work.

The absence of Ueda can be felt in Rerided and would even be felt in Project Despera.

Ghost Hound had Nakamura and Konaka collaborate, but it did lack the elements that made the above series timeless.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Shame, I was so excited to see Yoshitoshi Abe do something again... Sad
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
ABe: The director picked that name [Derrida] – maybe he just liked the way it sounded!

Well there goes all the fun! Watching something lofty and overambitious is always a more curious outing — especially when it fails — than another humdrum act of gesturing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, whatever happens with this show I'll be buying the artbook!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:21 am Reply with quote
SkerllyFC07 wrote:
Poor Crunchyroll, for their so important convention, they pick the wrong shows to do a special premiere for(A by-the-numbers ecchi LN adaptation and a mediocre time travel action series) instead of the best ones they could grab instead(Double Decker and JoJo Part 5). It´s a shame. If I were a newbie to anime, how am I supposed to take seriously the fact that they are the best anime streaming service with stuff like this? And I think even Sword Gai or Neo Yokio, 2 bad Netflix originals, look and are more interesting than whatever the heck RedrideD is

If you were new you'd have no idea what else is out there and therefore not know if there another service that you preferred or not. Plus different people have different opinions.

ninjamitsuki wrote:
Shame, I was so excited to see Yoshitoshi Abe do something again... Sad

I for one am still excited and plan on watching it. Happily watch it I should say, not just because it has Abe's name on it.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:25 am Reply with quote
This was a painful review to read because of how much I was looking forward to this. But maybe it's better that my expectations are sufficiently curbed for when it comes out... The plot does sound interestingly complex at least even if the execution isn't.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:08 am Reply with quote
Yeah, finally more ABe stuff.

So far the anime stuff he has been involved in is almost pure gold, it feels like he and the people he often works with has the touch of midas or something given that among all the creators I have experienced he has been perhaps the most consistently great together with Miyazaki himself. I guess I love his stuff because it's so spiritual: Haibane Renmei remains one of the most powerful experiences I have had with any form of art.

Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
ABe: The director picked that name [Derrida] – maybe he just liked the way it sounded!

Well there goes all the fun! Watching something lofty and overambitious is always a more curious outing — especially when it fails — than another humdrum act of gesturing.

I still bet there will be a lot of discussion of Derrida's influences on it. Laughing Like the discussion on christian symbolism in EVA then Anno said: "I put crosses and stuff in it because it looked cool."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1