• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll Updates Video Player to HTML5

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Did...did they do it? Did they actually do it?!
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:38 pm Reply with quote
At least for me, the new player is much, much better than the old one. As in it actually works, instead of just freezing up all the time.
dark13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:43 pm Reply with quote
The fact that this needs to be news is embarrassing for Crunchyroll.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Only 8 years late and it's still vastly inferior to almost every other html5 player out there. Sad.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Only 8 years late and it's still vastly inferior to almost every other html5 player out there. Sad.

It's superior to every html5 player from Amazon to Youtube in terms of sheer soft-subtitling abilities. CR's player in html5 is the ONLY one that even remotely close to supporting the .ass (apha sub-station) subtitling formats. They ported over most of their support for subititles in flash over, but have yet to port the other features from the flash player. It's no wonder since they were the first to use Aegisub for commercial subtitling. The mainstream players support horrifically basic closed captioning subtitles that is either hard to read or blocks out a good chunk of video
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
At least for me, the new player is much, much better than the old one. As in it actually works, instead of just freezing up all the time.

Basically this. I have been loving the new player ever since it switched over about a month ago. Talk about a completely different viewing experience.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:

Although I've not had problems with the new player stopping totally (unlike the old one), I have seen several occasions where the video freezes up for a few seconds but the audio doesn't. Occasionally the auto-quality feature gets chooses some weirdly low resolutions, too. And yeah, the "can't turn off subtitles" thing is a major nuisance for taking dialog-free screenshots. But that just puts CR's player in line with what Funi has long had, so. . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:20 pm Reply with quote
If this helps improve the issue with their subtitles randomly shutting off, I may be willing to give them another try. The old player was garbage, even for Flash. Welcome to 2013 Crunchyroll.
TUSF

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Nice to hear. When are they switching over to HTTPS so I don't have to disable my "HTTPS Everywhere" extension, just to watch anime?

configspace wrote:
It's superior to every html5 player from Amazon to Youtube in terms of sheer soft-subtitling abilities. CR's player in html5 is the ONLY one that even remotely close to supporting the .ass (apha sub-station) subtitling formats. They ported over most of their support for subititles in flash over, but have yet to port the other features from the flash player. It's no wonder since they were the first to use Aegisub for commercial subtitling. The mainstream players support horrifically basic closed captioning subtitles that is either hard to read or blocks out a good chunk of video

Honstly, I hope WebVTT gets more traction. Its spec should be as flexible as (or more than) ASS subs with its support for CSS styling and some limited HTML, but aside from Webkit-based browsers (Chrome, Safari and Opera) it appears that other browsers (IE/Edge and Firefox) only support basic text tags with no CSS styling or positioning support.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Beside the current lack of old functionality, so far the new player is way better than the old one when it comes to the freeze and that's the most important point, i remember posting this issue soon after crunchy's launching, it took them long enough.
XSp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, I've been asking for this for so long that I eventually stop caring... like 3 years ago or something.
Checking it up now.
HK16

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It also currently does not offer the ability to change subtitle language

Get that fixed before Gyakuten Saiban airs. We (JP version fans) will not stand for that English dub script.
whitesox123

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Its even worse then before for me, the player doesn't even load or it buffers every 5 seconds. On the other hand, <pirate> is working better then ever so I'll stick with that for now.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:29 pm Reply with quote
HK16 wrote:

Get that fixed before Gyakuten Saiban airs. We (JP version fans) will not stand for that English dub script.

I don't know why "we'd" be upset about this when the streams of the 1st and 2nd seasons used the Japanese script by default.

And when half us complained about the anime due to it's QUALITY and changes from the games.
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:33 pm Reply with quote
whitesox123 wrote:
Its even worse then before for me, the player doesn't even load or it buffers every 5 seconds. On the other hand, <pirate> is working better then ever so I'll stick with that for now.

What about those ads that pop up and you can't block?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3