• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Banana Fish (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:16 am Reply with quote

Banana Fish (TV).

Genres: Action, Adventure, Drama, Shoujo
Themes:

Plot Summary:
Quote:
Nature made Ash Lynx beautiful; nurture made him a cold ruthless killer. A runaway brought up as the adopted heir and sex toy of "Papa" Dino Golzine, Ash, now at the rebellious age of seventeen, forsakes the kingdom held out by the devil who raised him. But the hideous secret that drove Ash's older brother mad in Vietnam has suddenly fallen into Papa's insatiably ambitious hands--and it's exactly the wrong time for Eiji Okamura, a pure-hearted young photographer from Japan, to make Ash Lynx's acquaintance...
(from manga)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Noitamina show adapting the manga. Scheduled for 2-cour this Summer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

This was cool. I've never read the manga before so came into this clueless but I'm sold on the main characters so far, especially Ash. The platinum blonde hair along with his rebellious attitude makes me really curious about him. This anime so far adapts a more mature feel for the storytelling too. The old school art style of the show is also welcoming.

No fooling around at all. He just gets right down to business.

The fighting scenes also looks well polished. I'm sold on this especially since it'll be a 2-cour show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:06 am Reply with quote
I don't know what this says about me, but what was going through my mind when the Japanese guy was saying that it was hard to get info from Ash, was if they had seen a Louis Theroux documentary. I was remembering something I saw a while back about the techniques he uses to get people, including people in gangs, talk about things they would normally not do so.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably going to be one of the only people on the forums who has read the complete manga series (4 times over, in fact), so I am going to obligate myself to not discuss ANYTHING that would need spoiler tags in this thread. But I am definitely going to be watching this thread to see the reactions to one of "those moments", of which the manga had plenty. Since I can probably predict approximately when they'll be coming, seeing what people think is going to happen and seeing what their predictions are is going to amuse me. I mean, there's clearly so much I can say about this series, but I also already know how awesome it is and am looking forward to new fans learning how awesome it is! But I had fun uncovering it the first time without any spoilers and the new fans deserve the same. Don't go snooping around the manga though, there's a LOT of spoilers and a lot of "WHAM!" moments, you have been forewarned....

I can still discuss spoilers via pm or privately on Discord though!

Now, as a big fan of the manga, seeing the anime is making me all giddy! Eiji is being so adorable, right off the bat! And I'm eager to see some of my favorite characters (who won't appear until probably the halfway point, so something to look forward to). One of the manga's weaknesses was probably the backgrounds (which, when they were there, were good, but were often just white backgrounds after an establishing shot), but I'm loving the anime backgrounds! I'm also hoping to see more adorably out of place graphic tees! The original manga was pretty big on that! Perhaps the 80s in general was, I suppose? I also think they're using technology wisely, since cell phones weren't about in the 80s, but there's no way modern Ash, Eiji, and Shorter wouldn't have cell phones. For example in the manga, Shorter shows up in person, but here, he just calls Ash. Now, does this change anything from the manga? It's pretty minor a change, at best. But if you're curious, it's following the manga pretty faithfully so far, so let's hope it keeps it up! The manga could be pretty dense and I really can't think of any wasted scenes, the manga already has very little fat to trim, so if you are curious, yes, the manga jumps right into the plot as well.
See more glass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Hmmmm, they're finally making an anime based of this manga I read in the 90's.

I hope we get more adaptations of good old 80's-90's stuff in the future, particularity shojo/josei Question
A Mystery

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I already want to give this show a masterpiece rating after 2 episodes.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2 made me sooo happy! And that OP! I'll admit, the OP is full of spoilers (mostly if you know what to look for, though I'm sure predicting a fight between Ash and Arthur is hardly spoilers, it's clearly inevitable anyway), but we also got our first look at Cain!!! And Sing!!! (although Sing got promo art, whereas Cain did not). OP 2 should be pretty awesome too (it's gotta have a second OP because there are characters who won't show up until the second half)

They should be about halfway into book 2 now (I don't have them with me to reference), if they are, then they're on a good pace! I also think I have a vague idea of a cliffhanger they could use about a quarter into book 3 (which would, again, be a good stopping point to keep on pace). *edit* So, I consulted the manga, and they got about 1/3rd into book 2. Not sure if they're behind or OK on pacing yet (there's some intense fight scenes later on that take up a lot of pages, but animation can clearly move faster on that)

And it's hardly a surprise for me to declare it "Masterpiece" already, it's well known that I am obsessed with the manga, so basically as long as it does it justice, I'm good! Also, the pole vaulting scene? I loved how the anime did that!
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
WOOHOO! That "scene" that I was afraid might be "censored" (by some sort of "dodging the camera or placing limbs in the way conveniently")? IT WASN'T! And it was so so SO glorious! If anything, they made it MORE intense then even the manga version, impressive!

fyi, in the manga spoiler[you're not getting any more kisses...]

Anyway, I am starting to get a bit concerned on the pacing vs the manga. I think we'd need to be a tad bit further to be on track, but I also don't want this insanely rushed either. I'm just wondering if 24 eps is enough, or if it could really use a couple of extra. Of course, we do have some epic fight scenes coming up that take a TON of page time (I feel like one entire volume felt like a fight scene), but will take a lot less time when animated.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:14 pm Reply with quote
@classicalzawa: Laughing I watched that scene twice...
Just relax and enjoy! I think they're doing a good job, because I'm not even thinking about production values or direction choices while watching. I hope Ash gets out of prison soon. And that he doesn't force himself on Eiji. I mean, his childhood so far has been quite traumatic and his personality did suffer because of it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

I don't want to put it in a way that sounds like I am homophobic or something, but the sexuality in this show has been making me feel kind uncomfortable. Paedophilia in the previous episode was a bit of a strain of heavy, but I am not having fun with all this continued men forcing themselves onto boys. I kind of wish I was having fun, but it has not been as fun as I might hope, for something that has a bit of buzz.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:17 am Reply with quote
Well, the rape thing is supposed to make you feel uncomfortable. But that's unfortunately reality in some places with unbalanced power. Especially in prison. Also, it doesn't mean that every guy that presents himself forcing another into rape would normally fall for boys or men.
MetaKite

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:08 pm Reply with quote
So no BF next week. How many people dropped this amazing series because of heavy handed drama and episode 9?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:41 pm Reply with quote
^ I was going to but episode 9 made me not do it. Had I known by then that this was 2 cour I would've by episode 8, to be honest.

Then I was going to again, but episode 12 made me not do it.

Can't say the heavy handed drama is what makes me not like the series. It's more not really caring about any of the characters or the plot in general, but the extremely competent direction, soundtrack and animation kind of kept me from going from having 'neutral' opinion to actually disliking it.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:18 am Reply with quote
It's so interesting to hear such strong opposing opinions on Banana Fish.
It's honestly one of the greatest and most important manga ever written and the anime is truly being crafted with a lot of love and care by the staff. It's so nice to see. There really is no other dynamic relationship as wonderfully written than Ash and Eiji's.

I am just really worried about how they are going to fit the rest of the manga into this few episodes. And how they're going to handle a few important details...
YusukeUrameshi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Hi. Any news about differences between BD and Tv version in Banana Fish series? I mean any deleted/altered/censored scenes?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1