• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:01 am Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying this show, a lot more than I had thought. Glad to see the studio and creators pouring their effort into this honestly.

It's also 2 cour too so half a year of this show is quite pleasing to see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:08 am Reply with quote
I couldn't be happier to see that they are doing a 100% faithful adaptation so far, they are certainly on a good track, you can expect good things. Very Happy
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:14 am Reply with quote
I had really low expectations for this given its title but boy did those get curb stomped pretty quickly. I think it's fair to say there is more here than meets the eye.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:35 am Reply with quote
The protagonist being reborn as a slime and not some overpowered superhero was the only reason for me to give this half a chance because i'm pretty tired of the standard isekai stuff, turns out he's the most OP slime ever but i am still enjoying this a lot, surprisingly enough. Smile

One reason is defintely the MC being so chill, another his adorable relationships with Veldora and Ranga (and the goblins, of course!). It also helps that he's netiher a jerk nor horny 24/7 and i hope it'll stay this way even when "cute girls" eventually join the party...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:09 am Reply with quote
I've read the manga the light novel, and I have to say really happy with what they've done. The overall quality in both animation and direction are very good, and if the opening is any indication, we should get quite a decent amount through the first few arcs (hopefully they don't skip over too much). While the power levels later on in the novel do get kind of ridiculous this is one series I hope gets another season, as it's got many cool and funny elements later on as well.

Note, I never thought the "great sage" voice would be female, I always had it imagined as some wise old man voice in his head based off the name, especially with what happens later with it, but I don't have any problems with how they've done it. So happy there are so many great series out this season.
Phantowhite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:30 am Reply with quote
for those of you worried about the story getting bogged down with romance or the MC being a lust monkey, it's pretty much needless worry. rimuru is only about as pervy as an average 40 year old. he appreciates pervy stuff, but he isn't a horndog nor is he a lucky pervert. as far as actual romance goes, this series doesn't really have any. basically with a few exceptions, everyone's relationship with rimuru will be similar to his relationship with the goblins. rather than love, it's more admiration and while a few do love him it's more like how you'd love a celebrity or working for a really nice boss. well it's a minor spoiler but only to help those worried this series might turn into something like death march, smartphone or any other series with an op protagonist.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:46 am Reply with quote
Yea, pretty much zero romance in this series, just lots of close relationships. I wonder if the MC doesn't actually have a hormone driven sex drive after becoming a slime (he still appreciates sexiness but doesn't seem too driven to pursue it).
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:53 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Yea, pretty much zero romance in this series, just lots of close relationships. I wonder if the MC doesn't actually have a hormone driven sex drive after becoming a slime (he still appreciates sexiness but doesn't seem too driven to pursue it).

Isn't that pretty much the norm in Isekai? I distinctly remember the same being said about the smartphone isekai and I think the demon lord last season. Every girl fawn on him but none actually do anything (cause committing to a girl would slight everyone for whom she's not best girl).
teferi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
#844391 wrote:

Isn't that pretty much the norm in Isekai? I distinctly remember the same being said about the smartphone isekai and I think the demon lord last season. Every girl fawn on him but none actually do anything (cause committing to a girl would slight everyone for whom she's not best girl).

As far as anime adaptions, sure (although Conception this season is a pretty obvious exception). There are a ton of iesekai manga/LN where the protagonist tries to sleep with virtually anything that moves.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I’m really liking this series. I don’t watch a lot of Isekai, but this one caught my eye as soon as it was announced and so far, it’s quite swell. The main character looks like will be an enjoyable lead to follow in this story and the ED song is really nice. I’m really curious to see where his journey will take him to exactly, so I’m glad about this series being 2-cour. Smile
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:43 pm Reply with quote
teferi wrote:

As far as anime adaptions, sure (although Conception this season is a pretty obvious exception). There are a ton of iesekai manga/LN where the protagonist tries to sleep with virtually anything that moves.

Not only tries, there are many LN/WN that the MC ends up sleeping with virtually anything that moves or at least with one or 2 heroines. And i'm not talking about R-18 novels. Is starting to happen even in shonen/seinen novels. And some will have future anime adaptations.
The usual "forever virgin" MC are starting to change.

About this "Slime". This is been a fun ride. Is a change of pace from my usual favorite isekai, but i'm been loving the ride.
feitan000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
i hate isekai, but i love this show, it's pretty fun to watch and Rimuru is adorable
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, been good other than the utterly moronic setup with that opening death. Still can't get over how stupid that was. No one runs around with a knife like that.

Kinda still waiting for him to get his new human form. Wondering who he's going to eat.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:06 pm Reply with quote
So this is a nitpicking thing that mildly bothers me but I've noticed happens more often then not and just makes me frown at the lack of consistency.

Rimuru talks about the breaking down the village into "pairs" to form cohesion and order within the group. The elder then questions the word "pair" as a whole rather than the concept. Japanese loan word usage and its understanding among the "locals" seems to behave wildly between authors and their worlds. I can't tell if this is a source material thing or anime exclusive but this kind of exchange just seems pointless throughout.

In-universe wise, we are under the impression that the great sage mechanism is automatically translating everything for him, and he's using loan words fairly constantly to imply that loan words are translated into the native language. Likewise, it can't be that when he uses loanwords, the translator simply leaves it alone and projects the sound as is (which would normally explain the confusion --"What's a Pe-ah?") because again, Rimuru uses loan words a lot. So we're left with something like "oh goblins are stupid so they don't understand the concept of a pairing", which is silly. They have a village. To act like they suddenly don't understand the concept of cooperation or the concept of a pair makes no sense. Scenes like this seem to usually be included to demean other entities and artificially elevate the protagonist's standing but feels confusing as a whole.

You can't tell me that so many isekai authors with their often verbose and overly complicated monologues of mechanics explanations and isolated world building can't stay consistent to whether or not the protagonist's use of loan words auto-translate to a native equivalent or confuse natives.

One of the few instances I've seen proper consistency was in Utawarerumono. For all intents and purposes for avoiding spoilers, we'll call it an isekai as the protagonists have knowledge outside the realm of the setting they currently exist in. The dialogue is strictly Japanese and all the characters use older Japanese words that have long been rendered obsolete by modern Japanese vernacular or loanwords. When the loan words ARE used, they're only used by the protagonists and the natives seem to believe they're incantations or spells as it doesn't sound Japanese and noticeably foreign compared to standard Japanese phonetics. This is great flavor AND you can still have fun with it. It's minor but it still shows that the writer spent time to polish the world they created.

Overall, I'm liking this show. The execution is nice, and while it gets a bit too game-y for my taste, it's a silly show to sit through and enjoy. In the same vein, however, tired and repetitive cliches like what I mentioned above grate my overall enjoyment because of how prevalent they are. I understand they're tiny, almost negligible artifacts, but I can't understand how when it passes through multiple eyes, no one ever goes "What is this? You realize this makes no sense right?" and they all just kinda compound to form a larger nagging feeling in the back of my mind.

What gets sales or recognition is when you have strong execution even if the setting or sub-genre is saturated right? It's strange to me that in trying to differentiate yourself from others that look and feel similar, people don't try to sneak in a bit of that extra polish. "This seems different enough" seems to get by and the market is okay with it. Maybe I'm just picking the wrong fight?
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:38 am Reply with quote
IIRC Reincarnated as a Slime was among the first webnovels to introduce the concept of being reborn as a non-human being. Even though the web version ended back in 2015-2016, it still ranks as the 3rd most popular title on Shousetsuka ni Narou where it was first published. (Mushoku Tensei still holds the crown of 1st, while Arifureta - Common Class to World's Strongest holds 2nd place).
http://yomou.syosetu.com/rank/list/type/total_total/

Jonny Mendes wrote:
teferi wrote:

Not only tries, there are many LN/WN that the MC ends up sleeping with virtually anything that moves or at least with one or 2 heroines. And i'm not talking about R-18 novels. Is starting to happen even in shonen/seinen novels. And some will have future anime adaptations.
The usual "forever virgin" MC are starting to change.

I think this reflects a growing trend with WN readers tired of the forever virgin cliche; who desire more assertive MCs who know what they want and readily take up any lusty offers from the heroines.
I know of some anime forums that will actively shit on an MC who doesn't make romantic moves on the heroines, saying the MC's a coward and weakling for not openly affirming or even rejecting his feelings/libido for the heroines. (She's openly giving herself to you and you won't take it?! I know I would've taken it; you're a coward!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 22