• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Double Decker! Doug & Kirill Worth Watching?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omnistry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I’m surprised they didn’t reference Phil Ken Sebban when talking about Travis. Also, anyone notice that the end theme sounds a lot like “Fight For Your Right (To Party)”?
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but find this show so much unadultered fun - which is ironic, considering how little I expected of it when it was announced. Like many others I thought we'd get a Tiger & Bunny sequel (although unlike many others I wasn't very keen on the idea because I'd thought that story wrapped up pretty well, and while I loved the world and the characters I thought there was no need for a sequel), and I was rather worried when I learned that not only it was a spinoff not a sequel but most of the T&B staff wasn't returning. I went into the first episode wholly expecting to be let down... and I ended up in love, charmed through and through.

Sure, the show is not reinventing the wheel or curing cancer, but it's not really trying to. To everyone who is still grumpy about it not being Tiger & Bunny I say get over the disappointment (it's not like T&B is going anywhere, and there's still a ton of fanworks being produced for it) and give the show and the characters a chance.
Maleko Ai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:17 pm Reply with quote
YES!! Chapter 5 was incredible.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:45 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
I can't help but find this show so much unadultered fun - which is ironic, considering how little I expected of it when it was announced. Like many others I thought we'd get a Tiger & Bunny sequel (although unlike many others I wasn't very keen on the idea because I'd thought that story wrapped up pretty well, and while I loved the world and the characters I thought there was no need for a sequel), and I was rather worried when I learned that not only it was a spinoff not a sequel but most of the T&B staff wasn't returning. I went into the first episode wholly expecting to be let down... and I ended up in love, charmed through and through.

Sure, the show is not reinventing the wheel or curing cancer, but it's not really trying to. To everyone who is still grumpy about it not being Tiger & Bunny I say get over the disappointment (it's not like T&B is going anywhere, and there's still a ton of fanworks being produced for it) and give the show and the characters a chance.

I have to respectfully disagree that Tiger & Bunny doesn't need a sequel. There were way to many loose ends that I wanted to see developed on for me not to want a sequel. But that's ok, because it's getting one.
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
I have to respectfully disagree that Tiger & Bunny doesn't need a sequel. There were way to many loose ends that I wanted to see developed on for me not to want a sequel. But that's ok, because it's getting one.

I didn't necessarily mean it from a plot standpoint, more like, for me T&B was mainly about Kotetsu and Barnaby, and on that front I think it all wrapped up really well. It was, as far I'm concerned, such a good "and they lived happily ever after" note that I simply don't think any more is needed to be said about those two, and this is coming from someone who is a huge fan. (I mean, sure, imagination can go on but that's what fanworks are for.)

Doug & Kirill probably won't leave me so satisfied unless it can also go on for 25 episodes (but that doesn't seem to be the case, judging from the pacing) so I really hope it makes the best it can from its runtime, and will do well enough to warrant a second season.
Denys Lalande

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Here's the issues I'm watching:

1) Forget all the "gay" stuff -- I want to know how old Travis's assistant is, thank you so very much....

2) Considering some of the headlines shown on newspapers and TVs in various episodes, I think Doug's concerns over "poverty" and "class" are the *least* of that society's problems. (And aren't drugs just a jim-dandy way of keeping the Mob distracted from the fact "society is CTD", hm?)
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:40 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm officially sold
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:29 am Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
I’m surprised they didn’t reference Phil Ken Sebban when talking about Travis. Also, anyone notice that the end theme sounds a lot like “Fight For Your Right (To Party)”?

Yes. The first time I heard it, I thought, "Beastie Boys?"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1