• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Devilman Crybaby Director Masaaki Yuasa Unveils New Anime Film 'Kimi to, Nami ni Noretara'

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:32 am Reply with quote
Well, this sounds very charming. I'm looking forward to it!
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:06 am Reply with quote
Well, after the heaviness and tragedy of Devilman Crybaby, something lighter from Yuasa is most welcome. Romcom is something he can do well all right.
Slashman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:07 am Reply with quote
You know I still don't get the ending of Devilman Crybaby. Everyone dies so they all learned a valuable lesson???
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:43 am Reply with quote
Slashman wrote:
You know I still don't get the ending of Devilman Crybaby. Everyone dies so they all learned a valuable lesson???

It's a pointless, cruel punishment. No lesson to be learned there. That's part of the tragedy.
---
The new movie doesn't really sound like something I'd enjoy. But I'll give it a chance, I'm interested in what Yuasa may do with this.
Slashman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:56 am Reply with quote
Ah I see. *SIGH*

I feel like I wasted time watching it.
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:23 am Reply with quote
Slashman wrote:
Ah I see. *SIGH*

Why, though? It's at it's core an anti-war story, the lack of a point is the point, in a way. I think that was a very powerful message back in the day, and still holds up now.

I haven't read all the spin-offs (Violence Jack and so on) yet, so how knows what else is there.
Slashman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:28 am Reply with quote
Coup d'État wrote:
Slashman wrote:
Ah I see. *SIGH*

Why, though? It's at it's core an anti-war story, the lack of a point is the point, in a way. I think that was a very powerful message back in the day, and still holds up now.

I haven't read all the spin-offs (Violence Jack and so on) yet, so how knows what else is there.

I admit I didn't look at it like that. I think it crossed over with Cyborg 009 at one point.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:35 am Reply with quote
Crybaby is a story about empathy. If you'll remember, at the end, spoiler[Ryo realizes how destructive his life agenda was only after he lost everything and everyone, including the one person he actually cared about, Akira, and finally shed a tear.]
In addition, the anti-hate, anti-violence message is for the audience, not the characters. Them all dying and the results of their destructive hatred is supposed to send us a message about the importance of empathy, understanding, and open-mindedness.
Slashman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:00 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Crybaby is a story about empathy. If you'll remember, at the end, spoiler[Ryo realizes how destructive his life agenda was only after he lost everything and everyone, including the one person he actually cared about, Akira, and finally shed a tear.]
In addition, the anti-hate, anti-violence message is for the audience, not the characters. Them all dying and the results of their destructive hatred is supposed to send us a message about the importance of empathy, understanding, and open-mindedness.

Akira was blameless though and so was the gang that helped her. And so were a boatload of other people that died. Especially her parents and brother.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Erratum :
He didn't directed the special episode of Wakfu. He was lead character designer. Eunyoung Choi was the director.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I want o̶f̶f̶ on this rom-com wave.
anime_layer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Always nice to see romance stories where the characters are older than high-schoolers, something I also appreciated about Night Is Short, Walk On Girl.

Also interesting that Yuasa's second original film is again focused on water and the sea. Thinking back, the sea has been a recurring theme in his works, going back to his great early short, Slime Adventures: Yay, the sea!.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Slashman wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

Akira was blameless though and so was the gang that helped her. And so were a boatload of other people that died. Especially her parents and brother.

Yeah, they were tragic victims of humanity's collective hate and destructive impulses. Seeing innocent people as casualties strengthens the underlying message and more clearly conveys how dangerous living a life without empathy is.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The original story is a simple romantic comedy between a young woman who loves surfing and being in the water, and a firefighter.

'Simple'.
That welcoming, winsome word. A word with which many a director may dally, but a word to which Yuasa takes no liking. I've been bewildered too many times by his heavy-handed style to expect that this film will be anything close to simple.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Time for more insanity from the man of drug inducing goodness. I wonder if anyone has ever smoked weed while watching a Yuasa flick. Because that's what I walked into when 'Fritz the Cat' was on the screen at a group meet where some of them were "furries".

But when are they going to release the series on DVD?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1