• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action I''s Series Premieres on December 21

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:03 am Reply with quote
VIZ's release of I"s was one of the first US-released graphic novel series I bought in it's entirety so it's good to see it get some modern recognition, and why not a live action? I think it works.

One thing I wonder aloud is I know Japan has been trying to get away from this sort of subject matter as of late, particularly with the high profile case of Watsuki Nobuhiro for example. While I"s' subject matter isn't the same as what Watsuki possessed it's still something that is similarly frowned upon in first world countries, and I wonder if the main cast will be altered in any way to somewhat streamline itself for a more modern international audience. Like will everyone be bumped up two years as third years in high school, or will the live action just chance it and keep everything original?
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I bought and read the manga around 2 years ago and it was easily one of the best shonen jump romances I've ever read. There are so many relatable scenes, I really felt like being back in my school time, having to deal with all these different feelings around love and sexuality during puberty.
And because it felt so realistic, I always imagined how certain emotional scenes would work really well in live action. That is why I'm really looking forward to this series and I hope it will be well directed.

Regarding the art: Masakazu Katsura's artwork is incredible in terms of being hot without erotic scenes feeling cheap and forced.
Don't judge the art by the covers, the artstyle of the manga itself is not as realistic as he draws the covers.

I see absolutely no problem having teens thinking or talking about sex, it's totally normal and several western teen high school movies already did it too without any issues.
It's not like they are simply sexualized for the viewer, in I``s case it is relevant to the story, adds a layer of realism and it lets you relive the thrill you felt when you had your first relationship.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:35 am Reply with quote
That's some insane casting. The similarities between the actors and their manga counterparts are just uncanny.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1