• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Readers Find Super Mario Bros. 3 Book Filled With Grabbing Pussy Poetry

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Talk about trumping on the printers.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:21 pm Reply with quote
So what about people who expected political commentary prose but received a book about video games
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Talk about trumping on the printers.

Well played.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:29 am Reply with quote
Clicked on the Polygon / Owen S Good link.....
This is absolutely hysterical!!!
Smile Very Happy Laughing
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:01 am Reply with quote
"Most of the printing errors are so stupid... Heh heh heh heh."
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't know from Mario - why is there a racoon on the cover of the book in the first place? Why not, oh I dunno, Mario?

That aside, this is amazing. Laughing
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Now to sit down and have a nice relaxing PG friendly read on Mario to share with the little children. Oh dear.....
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Any bets this is going to become a sought-after item among Super Mario collectors down the line?

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I don't know from Mario - why is there a racoon on the cover of the book in the first place? Why not, oh I dunno, Mario?

My guess is it's because Tanooki Mario was introduced in Super Mario Bros. 3 and is the most iconic thing from that game, and they might not have been able to get the legal rights to use Mario's likeness.

There are many other things that evoke Super Mario, and even Super Mario Bros. 3, way better than a raccoon over a blank white background though.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:21 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Any bets this is going to become a sought-after item among Super Mario collectors down the line?

Gina Szanboti wrote:

My guess is it's because Tanooki Mario was introduced in Super Mario Bros. 3 and is the most iconic thing from that game, and they might not have been able to get the legal rights to use Mario's likeness.
If that was their intention, they should have atleast gotten a photo of an actual tanuki (raccoon-dog) and not the unrelated North American animal. Despite the similar looking mask on the face, tanuki have a squat body-type and more closely resemble foxes (being part of the dog family). Photo for reference. The average American probably wouldn't care, but it still irks me.

Last edited by FLCLGainax on Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I see. I dunno, though. Even with a tanuki, it's one lazy-ass looking cover. Most 2nd graders would put more effort into it, with at least a purple sun or two, or rainbow flowers in the background.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:54 am Reply with quote
Well, tanuki's do love to grab things.

WTF??? This is insane. How the hell do you mess this up? Someone must've really been disgruntled. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Well, tanuki's do love to grab things.

WTF??? This is insane. How the hell do you mess this up?

The story actually says how. If you've ever actually operated one of these machines -- not many people have, to be sure -- it's actually pretty straightforward for these sorts of mistakes to happen in the circumstances described.

[most of these machines are hand-fed, see. Modern manufacturing involves a lot more meat-robot work than most people realise. You line up the cover, pick the book text block up from a pile, press the go button and take out the near-finished volume; cycle time about five seconds. You're mostly not looking at the text while you're doing this, because you've got other things to look at [position of cover, binding problems on the book] and if everything's set up you can pick the book up and load it by touch. If, however, say, someone else gets confused about which book you're working on and trundles up the wrong trolley to work on next... if the books were different thicknesses or on different paper you'd know as soon as you picked one up, but in this case not so much.]

People don't have time to check the correctness of everything they're supplied with before working on it. Not in printing, not in any other field. We rely on systems, and systems aren't perfect.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:03 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:

People don't have time to check the correctness of everything they're supplied with before working on it. Not in printing, not in any other field. We rely on systems, and systems aren't perfect.

Back in the day I was working in a plastics factory (3rd-tier automotive supplier) and on two different occasions I screwed up a production order because I followed the instructions from someone on a previous shift. (BTW, avoid working in a facility that processes ["raw"] plastic resins that are so fine that they hang in the air ─ bad for the lungs, don't you know!) Sad
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Depends on how many copies got shipped, but probably so. This will be a funny bit of gaming memorabilia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1