• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Karakuri Circus a Hidden Classic or Just Dated?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I checked this out because it was from the same Mangaka as Ushio and Tora, and same productions studio. Yet it was within the first few minutes of the show when I realised that i would watch it regardless of its previously mentioned ties. Simply put if a man in a bear costume fighting puppets in suits, is not enough to peek your interest, you have no soul.

In regards to Anime, what is an example of something that is dated? Because I never hear anyone talk about things in Anime being dated.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:53 pm Reply with quote
So far it was nothing more than a prelude, starting the next episode ( as long it keep being faithful ) the 2 parallels Acts that made this manga exceptional should start spoiler[( Each of them focusing on both main characters and belonging to different genre, while one is more shounen-esque action-packed, the other is more a low-key "circus simulation" )] .

The prelude in the anime was for me way better than in the manga, most likely because the humoristic scenes work better while animated, it was the weakest part which i didn't enjoy back then but the anime did a good job making them more interesting. As long they stay on a good track it should be good though 36 eps is far from enought to adapt this serie, basing on the pace it should either end without accomplishing much with a sequel's perspective which Ushio & Tora did or going for an original story.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
In regards to Anime, what is an example of something that is dated? Because I never hear anyone talk about things in Anime being dated.

90s character designs, for one.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Personally, the whole "humans training to become puppets" thing disturbs me more than either the clowns or the puppet room.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:26 pm Reply with quote
So with Karakuri Circus being 36 episodes, is this going to be the longest running show Amazon has streamed yet?
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
So with Karakuri Circus being 36 episodes, is this going to be the longest running show Amazon has streamed yet?

No, Koneko no Chi is the longest.
klokei07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:03 am Reply with quote
Yune Amagiri wrote:
As long they stay on a good track it should be good though 36 eps is far from enought to adapt this serie, basing on the pace it should either end without accomplishing much with a sequel's perspective which Ushio & Tora did or going for an original story.

I haven't read the manga, but I've been checking the past few days comments from people who've read it and it sounds like this manga goes PLACES you would never expect. I'm really excited to know how the tone is gonna change in later episodes spoiler[especially after the supernatural starts creeping in]

Ushio & Tora was planned as two season from the get go, which makes sense since the 39 episodes covered roughly one volume per chapter. If anything, the faster pace made into a much more straightforward plot with a lot of momentum.
Karakuri Circus is a whole different beast tho, 43 volumes in 36 chapters sounds pretty insane. Reading comments about the pacing, it sounds to me that the adaptation is probably going to skip a lot of minor subplots, padding and just focus on the main characters?
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:25 am Reply with quote
klokei07 wrote:
Reading comments about the pacing, it sounds to me that the adaptation is probably going to skip a lot of minor subplots, padding and just focus on the main characters?

That's possible, not only because they already skipped multiple low-key scenes that didn't focused much on MC but also seeing how the latest episode ended they most likely intend to skip the whole next one arc which serves as an introduction for secondary characters .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1